Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Originally Posted by cricketman
:

Giving that sport is no fun in Spain, its amazing how successful they are!

Tennis = World champions
Basketball = World and European champions
Football = European champions (hopefully World Champions in a month!)

To just mention a few!
Without looking it up, I think the medal table for the last Olympics reads GB fourth with about 47 medals, Spain about 14th with about 18 medals. Spain are doing well, but you make it sounds as if they are streets ahead of GB in sports. What year did they win the World Cup?
Talking of European Championships, only this time athletics. Spain aren't in the same league.
European Athletics national team rankings

1. Germany (Gold medallists and SPAR European Team Championships winners)
2. Russia (Silver medallists)
3. Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Bronze medallists)
4. France
5. Poland
6. Italy
7. Ukraine
8. Spain
Even Lloronso could only trail in third after two Brits in F1.

Last edited by agoreira; Jun 14th 2010 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Without looking it up, I think the medal table for the last Olympics reads GB fourth with about 47 medals, Spain about 14th with about 18 medals. Spain are doing well, but you make it sounds as if they are streets ahead of GB in sports. What year did they win the World Cup?
Talking of European Championships, only this time athletics. Spain aren't in the same league.
European Athletics national team rankings

1. Germany (Gold medallists and SPAR European Team Championships winners)
2. Russia (Silver medallists)
3. Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Bronze medallists)
4. France
5. Poland
6. Italy
7. Ukraine
8. Spain
Even Lloronso could only trail in third after two Brits in F1.
Oh well thats that then, all the going every other day for a month at organised activites does not always pay off
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I was refering to Cabo de Gata as the whole national and natural park area, rather than the small uninspiring town within the park.

If anyone hasnt been yet I strongly recommend it, some of the best beaches in Spain, some of which you can only reach by boat or through footpaths across the hills. A few of the beaches are worthy of those on a deserted tropical island
Totally agree Cricketman.

We anchored in the bay at the east side of Cabo Gata and it is probably the most perfect anchorage in Spain. You cannot take a dinghy ashore with an engine on it as it is a protected area - even the car parks are half a kilometre back from the beach.

Not many jobs there though.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

What year did they win the World Cup?
Blimey, are we diverting into ancient history, 1966 and all that? Judging by England's "performance" at the weekend I wonder if we'd even merit a top twenty slot on current form. Spain are streets ahead of us now in football. Still, at least we're ahead in motor racing..
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think that this thread was about which country has the best sportsmen and women.

Or who won what and when.

Just we were talking about kids activities, as a mother on this forum was talking about how difficult it is to keep kids happy with out of school ativities that they find hard to access and boring when they do find a place.

And surely the object of sporting facilities and such is mainly is for pleasure. The hot housing of future champions is a different matter, which affects a relatively small number of users.

Most kid who want to splash about in the local municipal pool, are not thinking of being the next Phelpsy.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:54 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the thread itself - finding work? I suspect the OP will have to be very imaginative, but it's not true to say it's impossible for foreigners to find work in Spain. I was just reading this blog http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/ and saw this:

Over the last four years sales of fresh fruit have increased ten per cent each year. According to the “Confederación de Empresarios Minoristas de Madrid” and the “Asociación de Empresarios Detallistas de Fruta de Madrid”, who call themselves “Adefruta”, the city now has more than four thousand of small, independent fruit sellers.

Green grocery is hard work with long hours, so it is perhaps telling that according to this report the vast majority of the owners of these shops are immigrants. Alejandro González of Adefruta makes the point that the cost of capital equipment is low and so is an ideal start-up business for those with not much money. Run by Chinese, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis they also open early, don’t close for siesta, and stay open until late, something my local Spanish run fruit shop fails to do!
mmm, sounds like too much hard work for me

Edit:|Smoothies seem to work well in the UK. Maybe there <possible> could <possible???> be a market for it in an expat area? Be hard though if people eat plenty of seasonal fruit already.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jun 14th 2010 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Back to the thread itself - finding work? I suspect the OP will have to be very imaginative, but it's not true to say it's impossible for foreigners to find work in Spain. I was just reading this blog http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.com/ and saw this:

mmm, sounds like too much hard work for me

Edit:|Smoothies seem to work well in the UK. Maybe there <possible> could <possible???> be a market for it in an expat area? Be hard though if people eat plenty of seasonal fruit already.
a smoothie bar company tried round here - didn't really take off
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think that this thread was about which country has the best sportsmen and women.

Or who won what and when.

Just we were talking about kids activities, as a mother on this forum was talking about how difficult it is to keep kids happy with out of school ativities that they find hard to access and boring when they do find a place.

And surely the object of sporting facilities and such is mainly is for pleasure. The hot housing of future champions is a different matter, which affects a relatively small number of users.

Most kid who want to splash about in the local municipal pool, are not thinking of being the next Phelpsy.

It must depend on your local area, all the municipal pools my OH and I have experienced, you could pay on the day, just a few euros. Both in Asturias, Barcelona and Benalmadena

And someone said about the Olympics, yes Spain are terrible at that! They are much better at team sports and motorsport
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:48 am
Banned

It must depend on your local area, all the municipal pools my OH and I have experienced, you could pay on the day, just a few euros. Both in Asturias, Barcelona and Benalmadena

And someone said about the Olympics, yes Spain are terrible at that! They are much better at team sports and motorsport
Oh right, so because I told you of a differenct esperience ie impossilble to pay on the day, it is me just trying to prove that Spain is crap (your words, not and mine).

And dont you think that others have had some dealings in these matters too, ie manamama when she posted on here, and gave the opinion of her own children?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:07 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right, so because I told you of a differenct esperience ie impossilble to pay on the day, it is me just trying to prove that Spain is crap (your words, not and mine).

And dont you think that others have had some dealings in these matters too, ie manamama when she posted on here, and gave the opinion of her own children?
we haven't even got a municipal pool here - it's been in the planning stage for as long as everyone can remember

as far as other organised sports are concerned - yes they are relatively cheap - but they are very over-subscribed & over-organised

my dd used to do tennis - it was actually run by an English guy, so we thought it might be fun as well as training

sadly not - even the 'fun' part largely consisted of just lining up & hitting the ball over the net - I paid for a term & dd managed to stick it for a month

we do have free activities for kids at the sports centre for a few days over the christmas hols - they are great fun & we barely see our two the whole time
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we haven't even got a municipal pool here - it's been in the planning stage for as long as everyone can remember

as far as other organised sports are concerned - yes they are relatively cheap - but they are very over-subscribed & over-organised

my dd used to do tennis - it was actually run by an English guy, so we thought it might be fun as well as training

sadly not - even the 'fun' part largely consisted of just lining up & hitting the ball over the net - I paid for a term & dd managed to stick it for a month

we do have free activities for kids at the sports centre for a few days over the christmas hols - they are great fun & we barely see our two the whole time
Are you sure all this happened, have you got the figures to prove it or are you another one who just wants to prove that Spain is crap? (like me apparently)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Maybe that is the wole point of these "fun activites" making them so boring that the kids want to drop out, but as a term or a month has been paid for the organisers are quids in because they can fill the left vacant places with other children who will also pay upfront and maybe they too will drop out.

I have seen kids being forced into the car and threatened with being grounded until they are 27, on the way to a FUN activity, because it has been paid for, and the poor kid in question hated it.

Do you know you may have hit on a good business idea.
In fact you would be selling over and over again what you have already sold and been paid for.

PS. So your hopes of your DD winning Wimbledon have gone down the Swannee then?

Last edited by JLFS; Jun 15th 2010 at 6:26 am.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Are you sure all this happened, have you got the figures to prove it or are you another one who just wants to prove that Spain is crap? (like me apparently)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you see, here in Mojácar we do have a municipal swimming pool. Quite magnificent. Built by Chaves' brother. I understand he built 100 of them all over Andalucía before his more-famous relative went off to Madrid.
Ours was completed over a year ago, but has still not been opened. This is because we can't afford to heat it (in the hottest part of Europe, as you can easily understand, our bathers need their heated pools) and because we need lots of lifeguards in case anyone gets into trouble.
Hey - there's a job!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Maybe that is the wole point of these "fun activites" making them so boring that the kids want to drop out, but as a term or a month has been paid for the organisers are quids in because they can fill the left vacant places with other children who will also pay upfront and maybe they too will drop out.

I have seen kids being forced into the car and threatened with being grounded until they are 27, on the way to a FUN activity, because it has been paid for, and the poor kid in question hated it.

Do you know you may have hit on a good business idea.
In fact you would be selling over and over again what you have already sold and been paid for.

PS. So your hopes of your DD winning Wimbledon have gone down the Swannee then?
you may well have a point there!!

no - she'll never win Wimbledon

she has recently expressed an interest in starting tennis again though - but she's 14 now - she was about 10 last time, so maybe she wouldn't mind it being more serious

I just remembered - they recently opened a new trinquet here - & they can go there to play pilota valenciana for free

I reckon once there is more interest they'll start charging - so I reckon I'd better get them in now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.