Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Find out more about your social security rights in Spain

Find out more about your social security rights in Spain

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all
Default Find out more about your social security rights in Spain

Britons in the Canary Islands get the chance to find out more about their social security rights in Spain

Have your friends told you a person needs to work 15 years in Spain to be entitled to a Spanish pension?

That you can get medical treatment at the health centre in the town where you live just by showing your UK-issued European Health Insurance Card?

And that if you were thinking of going back to the UK, you’d have to wait at least 6 months to access NHS health care?

Well things might not be quite as they seem - the statements above are all false. Don’t listen to misleading rumours, come and hear from the experts. The British Consulate is holding a series of open events in Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria to offer advice on some of the issues that matter most to British people living in Spain.

As well as learning more about the services offered by the Consulate, Britons will have the opportunity to find out about their pension and benefit rights and responsibilities as residents in Spain.

How to correctly register for healthcare is an increasingly hot topic among residents and this will also be on the agenda, as will where to apply for the European Health Insurance Card.

Those attending can submit questions for the panel in advance and should do so when booking their place at the event. The question and answer session will follow the main presentation.

The events will take place on Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th March 2012 as follows:

Puerto de la Cruz – Tuesday 6th March - 10.30 am (doors open 10 am).
Hotel Palmeras Playa – Salon Teide
Avenida Venezuela 12
Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife

Los Cristianos, Arona –Tuesday 6th March - 6.30 pm (doors open 6 pm)Auditorio Infanta Leonor
Avenida Juan Carlos I
Los Cristianos, Tenerife

Corralejo, Fuerteventura – Wednesday 7th March - 11.30 am (doors open 11 am). Auditorio de Corralejo
Calle Guriamen 2
Corralejo (next to Baku Park)

Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote – Wednesday 7th March 2012 - 6 pm (doors open 5.30 pm)Centro Cívico El Fondeadero
C/ Lanzarote, nº 1
Puerto del Carmen

Arguineguín, Gran Canaria – Thursday 8th March 2012 - 6 pm (doors open 5.30 pm)ANFI
Barranco de la Verga 7
35120 – Arguineguín

To book a place online, please visit www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/opendays. If you experience any problems booking or do not have Internet access, please call 902 109 356 (alternative number 913 344 763).

Please note places are limited and can only be guaranteed if reserved in advance.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:39 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Find out more about your social security rights in Spain

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
Britons in the Canary Islands get the chance to find out more about their social security rights in Spain

Have your friends told you a person needs to work 15 years in Spain to be entitled to a Spanish pension?

That you can get medical treatment at the health centre in the town where you live just by showing your UK-issued European Health Insurance Card?

And that if you were thinking of going back to the UK, you’d have to wait at least 6 months to access NHS health care?

Well things might not be quite as they seem - the statements above are all false. Don’t listen to misleading rumours, come and hear from the experts.
The British Consulate is holding a series of open events in Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria to offer advice on some of the issues that matter most to British people living in Spain.

As well as learning more about the services offered by the Consulate, Britons will have the opportunity to find out about their pension and benefit rights and responsibilities as residents in Spain.

How to correctly register for healthcare is an increasingly hot topic among residents and this will also be on the agenda, as will where to apply for the European Health Insurance Card.

Those attending can submit questions for the panel in advance and should do so when booking their place at the event. The question and answer session will follow the main presentation.

The events will take place on Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th March 2012 as follows:

Puerto de la Cruz – Tuesday 6th March - 10.30 am (doors open 10 am).
Hotel Palmeras Playa – Salon Teide
Avenida Venezuela 12
Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife

Los Cristianos, Arona –Tuesday 6th March - 6.30 pm (doors open 6 pm)Auditorio Infanta Leonor
Avenida Juan Carlos I
Los Cristianos, Tenerife

Corralejo, Fuerteventura – Wednesday 7th March - 11.30 am (doors open 11 am). Auditorio de Corralejo
Calle Guriamen 2
Corralejo (next to Baku Park)

Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote – Wednesday 7th March 2012 - 6 pm (doors open 5.30 pm)Centro Cívico El Fondeadero
C/ Lanzarote, nº 1
Puerto del Carmen

Arguineguín, Gran Canaria – Thursday 8th March 2012 - 6 pm (doors open 5.30 pm)ANFI
Barranco de la Verga 7
35120 – Arguineguín

To book a place online, please visit www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/opendays. If you experience any problems booking or do not have Internet access, please call 902 109 356 (alternative number 913 344 763).

Please note places are limited and can only be guaranteed if reserved in advance.
Could you not put the information about the most relevant points on the forum?

Not everyone can attend the meetings, and if it is information that all expats should know, why restrict it to the ones that attend the meetings?
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Not everyone can attend the meetings, and if it is information that all expats should know, why restrict it to the ones that attend the meetings?
I agree with you, I cannot take the time away from caring for my husband to attend a meeting even if there was ever one in my area.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:57 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I agree with you, I cannot take the time away from caring for my husband to attend a meeting even if there was ever one in my area.

Rosemary
Exactly, and there must be thousands who would benefit from the info but like you are unable to attend for lots of reasons.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get the the EU health card when you're living/paying tax &SS in Spain? I now have my Tarjeta sanitaria but I travel a lot within Europe.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to get the the EU health card when you're living/paying tax &SS in Spain? I now have my Tarjeta sanitaria but I travel a lot within Europe.
I simply went to my local Soc sec office and requested it. They checked payments etc was up to date, I signed a form and got a temporary piece of paper to cover me until the card arrived the following week.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AndL
I simply went to my local Soc sec office and requested it. They checked payments etc was up to date, I signed a form and got a temporary piece of paper to cover me until the card arrived the following week.
Ahh Ok. That easy.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

AndL is an unknown quantity at this point

In theory!!! Going by experience, seems to depend on the office and even the person sitting at the desk at the time! Shouldn't be hard but a jobsworth can always make it so. Good luck! x
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

ktann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi could you take a look at my thread? help appreciated. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749368
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

Thanks for your comments JLFS and Rosemary.

For those unable to attend the meetings, there is a substantial amount of information on the British Embassy in Spain's website www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk. On the right hand side you will see a quick link to 'Pensions, Benefits and Healthcare'. You may also find the Direct Gov website (www.direct.gov.uk) useful for further information.

If you still have a query regarding social security after reading the information online, you can contact us on 902 109 356 (alternative number 913 342 194) between 9am and 4pm (Spanish mainland)
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
Thanks for your comments JLFS and Rosemary.

For those unable to attend the meetings, there is a substantial amount of information on the British Embassy in Spain's website www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk. On the right hand side you will see a quick link to 'Pensions, Benefits and Healthcare'. You may also find the Direct Gov website (www.direct.gov.uk) useful for further information.

If you still have a query regarding social security after reading the information online, you can contact us on 902 109 356 (alternative number 913 342 194) between 9am and 4pm (Spanish mainland)
Thank you very much for this helpful information.

Rosemary
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who cannot get to a DWP event or is interested - I wrote an article covering their recent roadshow in Torrevieja which was published here:

http://issuu.com/timadmin/docs/november-11

(Page 18)

I am also happy to send anyone a copy who contacts me.

They are very informative meetings for those that are able to attend.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

It would seem that this site www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk is no longer available. Is there an alternative?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

?? The site is online.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.