Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Finally settled and no longer lost in Costa Blanca

Finally settled and no longer lost in Costa Blanca

Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

mariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nice
Smile Finally settled and no longer lost in Costa Blanca

I just wanted to give people some update. It has been six months and finally I am settled and feel as if I have most of the things (apart from work) in life I wanted from the enviroment. Little place where I am, close to Valencia, Port Saplaya is very unique, every apartment looks either onto the see or the marina, very uniques architetural development and not much known by te foreign tourists. Which has its goods ad bads of course, and in the begining it was a problem as I knew no Spanish at all and not many people "come out" admitting to speaking english. But once they got to know me, I had so many coffees and drinks bought for me, so many people offered to drive me whereever I wanted to go as I don't have a car and I made some very good friends already.

I can walk to Valencia along the beach (about 1 hr walk), but there are regular buses and by car it is about 5-10 mns max.

I am happy with the British school in Valencia I chose for my 3rd grader (well it is not akin to British private school in the UK simply because Spanish kids are still a bit into "macho" behaviour and foreign schools here are populated by the Spanish kids who tend to be very rich and very spoilt by my standards, but in the same time very friendly.

This part of Valencia coast is growing rapidly as they have various events going on which seem to increase every year and I see (even in theis 6 months) more residents settling in and also a lot of foreigners buying investment property here...(1000 per week per 3 bed apt. form July to Sept, hey I wouldn't mind that).

Very active policing and cleaning up going on since September, so no more dog poos all over the place as it was when I arrived and people are generally more aware of the noise and other people around them.

Yes, I like it here. It is unique location, can have big town if I want to, can go to the airport fast (15 mns by taxi) can go to the mountains if I want to (2 hrs drive) can have a holiday and go to the beach every day (we had only one week of rainn for the full week and not all day, this was week before Chrismas) and big hot rain in October for a few days, Even when it is colder, when the son goes out you can sit on the sunny spot and be so very hot. But when you are in the shade it is cooler, so basically choice is there. If you want to sit on the marina and have lunch, again, something is always open even in the non-tourist months.

I just wanted to post this as I had all sort of "teething" troubles posted on the board, and wanted to post for everyone who is going through it, that it passed and all is great.

My landlady has let me stay in this apartment for as long as I want and we have actually became friends since. I think I will not be moving from here for some years to come as there is no reason to really.

If anyone needs any help for this part of the Spanish Coast, you are welcome to ask. I will try to help. Everyone knows me here now, so I will try.
Al the best.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally settled and no longer lost in Costa Blanca

So glad to hear that you have settled in well and that you are not feeling lost anymore. When things start to come together it is great. It sounds like you live in a lovely area with other facilities within easy reach so you have chosen well. Hope that things continue to smooth out and that you remain settled.

Rosemary
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:57 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

It sounds that you have settled into your new life and things are going well for you, from your description of the area you are living in it sound idyllic, I even thought as I read your post that OH and I should check this place out some day. Good luck to you and your 3rd grader enjoy your little piece of Spain.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

mariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nicemariacarmen is just really nice

Dear Crispy, if you decide to come for a visit, I will definitelly buy you cafe con leche!!. PM me if you want to come.