Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Final call? Spain: register your residency

Final call? Spain: register your residency

Old Oct 6th 2020, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final call? Spain: register your residency

Originally Posted by bobd22
Thanks only thing is the green card we were issued up to 6 July the first one they issued doesn't have an expiry date on it only the date of issue. After 5 years that could be exchanged for one that has permanent printed on it. I have the initial green card been resident 2 years once I get to 5 years residence I will exchange it for a permanent TIE. The Spanish government have said that will be a simple exchange procedure with no need to prove income healthcare etc as you have already done that to obtain green card.
I hope that what you were told is true, in the past people have been made to "start from 0" and prove everything again.

Old Oct 6th 2020, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Not our experience nor that of a number of people I know who have exchanged their green residencia cards for a TIE.

Maybe a new funcionario?

Edit

Missed your follow up post. Yes handing over the green card at the point of collecting the TIE is the normal procedure.
And to be fair, that makes sense, the whole "idea" of the TIE is to have an "id card" witrh a picture that can be used like id everywhere and for everything, and be more like a "national". Why would we even want to carry both.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I hope that what you were told is true, in the past people have been made to "start from 0" and prove everything again.
It's not what I've been told it's what the Spanish government Web site says. I have residency all I will be doing is exchanging from green card to permanent TIE.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 2:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well if they say that, just tell them to get stuffed and either continue to use your green form or try again in 6 months.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This official link explains exactly what one needs to do now and in the future specifically mentions changing the green registration certificate in the future after transition ends. It couldn't really be any clearer. Fact is if people wish to change to TIE card from green card they can if they don't want to they don't have to. Should there be changes to this I'm sure we will be updated to ensure we can and do comply. There is no point in second guessing or speculating in the future or justifying changing or not it's simply a personal choice currently.
https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/…/Doc…/...EXIT%20eng.pdf
Add link
Old Oct 8th 2020, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

In this week's edition of EWN I am surprised to see an answer in "Legally Speaking" by David Searl which is contrary to any number of posts on various forums, and on advice given by various officials regarding the need (or not) to changing to a TIE. Searl claims that it will be necessary to change to the new TIE before the end of 2020, else non-performers of the change would be considered non resident.
Whilst EWN is not noted as a regular purveyor of totally accurate facts or news items, it seems very strange that such a noted columnist as DS should be unaware of the wealth of opinion contrary to his.
Can we have a definitive answer to this from others of professional calibre.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is there a link to this information you refer to? I have found similar on that site but there is no link or evidence to what they say? If it becomes compulsory then I'm sure the Spanish Government will give notice. What would they gain by simply making legally resident people illegal? One error I did find in the piece I read was re people in the Nerja and general area being unable to get appointments at Torre Del Mar Police Station and fact that they can't simply apply elsewhere. I know for a fact that's rubbish as we are in Torre Del Mar área and took an appointment for my wife in Málaga, without any issues whatsoever. If you book on the cita previa site it gives options for appointments you can make. This strikes me of scare mongering the Spanish Government site actually outlines that the exchange can be done in the future.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 8th 2020 at 1:32 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From official spanish government site. Specifically mentions in paragraph 6 that it is not mandatory to exchange from Registration Certificate (green card) to TIE. Paragraph 7 goes on to explain that having Registration Certificate (green card) or TIE will prove legal residence in Spain now and in the future and that it entitles them to benefit from the withdrawal agreement. Pretty clear to me. It's simply a matter of personal choice
https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en...residence.aspx

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 8th 2020 at 11:54 am.
Old Oct 8th 2020, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Complete nonsense from EWN - I refer all to the following

'It is not mandatory to apply for the new residence document, but it is important to remember that you must have a registration certificate (or family card of a Union citizen, in the case of family members) that documents your situation.'

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en...residence.aspx

'
If you registered as a resident before 6 July 2020, you will have a green A4 certificate or credit card-sized piece of paper from Extranjeria or the police. This is still a valid document and will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, including after the transition period ends.'

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...-and-residency
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
Well if they say that, just tell them to get stuffed and either continue to use your green form or try again in 6 months.

bobd22 As fred says, funcionarios are are law unto their own. They ignore whats written and make the rules up as they go along.

One of my collegues is in Malaga today to get a replacement TIE because he lost his wallet & residence card. Lets see what he is asked for.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
bobd22 As fred says, funcionarios are are law unto their own. They ignore whats written and make the rules up as they go along.

One of my collegues is in Malaga today to get a replacement TIE because he lost his wallet & residence card. Lets see what he is asked for.
I am confused as to why you quote Fred's comment and then refer to something I mentioned. Your friend has lost their green card that is not something I have discussed. All my comments have been in relation to either obtaining an initial TIE or exchanging a green card for a TIE. I have no idea what the procedure is should one lose a Green card or TIE card. However I would guess that there will be a record of a person being registered as resident and that a TIE card will then be issued? However as I say that's a guess. After all when we got our green cards we proved all of the things one proves when initially applying for a TIE however we did that at Police National police station but now that is done at the Extranjero Office. What is the difference to losing a TIE card? Surely point of registering either green card or TIE is that there is a record of your registration and you are given in our case a green card or after 6 July a TIE card to prove you are registered. As I said previously there is little point in speculating on what may happen in the future it simply creates confusion and fear. The Spanish government have said that for green card holders exchange is not mandatory.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 9th 2020 at 9:31 am.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Searl claims that it will be necessary to change to the new TIE before the end of 2020, else non-performers of the change would be considered non resident.
The absolute impossibility of green card holders being able to comply with such a requirement, which recall can only have come into being at the end of June when the TIE itself was introduced, is sufficient evidence of it's falsehood!
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

A full quote would have made clear that I did not support the Searl view
Old Oct 10th 2020, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

It may be of interest to some that I applied online through a gestor at Malaga Extranjeria 4 weeks ago for TIE (first-time applicant, no green certificate) and my application hasn't yet been approved. With less than 12 weeks to the end of the transition period, it's getting incredibly tight for those yet to apply, esp if you need to exchange your driving licence, which must be initiated before the year's end and trafico requires TIE or green certificate.
Old Oct 10th 2020, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Joppa
It may be of interest to some that I applied online through a gestor at Malaga Extranjeria 4 weeks ago for TIE (first-time applicant, no green certificate) and my application hasn't yet been approved. With less than 12 weeks to the end of the transition period, it's getting incredibly tight for those yet to apply, esp if you need to exchange your driving licence, which must be initiated before the year's end and trafico requires TIE or green certificate.
That's interesting as my wifes was approved at the end of very first appointment at the Extranjero Office. However fact I was already resident for last 18 months with a green card I think helped. You should be OK in reality even if they come back with something they deem needs clarifying or whatever as surely your application proves you are living in spain pre end of transition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.