Reload this Page >

Final call? Spain: register your residency

Final call? Spain: register your residency

Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Ewany200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Final call? Spain: register your residency

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
Yes. No more green papers ever no how never ever at all ever. When you go for "residency" now you get a TIE card.

That is yet to be "proven" - the first people have started to apply for TIE cards .. we´ll see the result. The rules say the cant ask for proof - if you have already got permanent residency - but we´ll see when people actually go for the 1st and second "meetings".
what do you mean, what is meant to be proven?

From the UK gov website it says people who have been in spain for long enough when applying for the TIE can get a permanent residence TIE (valid for up to 10 years then renewable after that i imagine).

My understanding is that this TIE preserves your right to live in spain, regardless of having a job contract, studies etc, the same as prebrexit (Its not a residencia por estudios, or something similar). However if you have the green card, you already have permanent residence, the TIE is just a formality.

The only "catch" i guess is this route will become unavailable after the transition period.

Am i correct ?
Old Sep 29th 2020, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ewany200
The only "catch" i guess is this route will become unavailable after the transition period.
Am i correct ?
Yes, in the sense that you need to be resident in Spain on 31st December 2020 to be eligible under the provisions of the withdrawal agreement. Only people who can still be eligible are the family members of those who are beneficiaries of the WA, such as spouse, children, dependent parents and relatives etc.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Been here 2.5 years and nobody tried to rip me off yet.

Seems to me far too many abandon their common sense and caution at the ferry or airport on the way out of UK.

There's an old adage which says "you can't cheat an honest man" and it's very true.
My reply was in response to applying for the new TIE card specifically. I am not insinuating that all Gestors or solicitors or anyone else is out to rip anyone off. Of course like anywhere in the world there are some that will. This new TIE system seems to be one system whereby certain gestors etc wish to confuse for instance inferring that you MUST rather than can exchange the green card for TIE. I just referred them to both the UK and Spanish official Government Web sites saying that there is no need to change a green card for a TIE card but you can if you wish.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Bonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond reputeBonzodog has a reputation beyond repute

Do they take your original green card/certificate from you when you are issued with a TIE ?
Old Oct 4th 2020, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonzodog
Do they take your original green card/certificate from you when you are issued with a TIE ?
Yes, either at the first or second appointment at the national police station. You are strongly advised to make a colour photocopy of your green document for your record.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Am i correct ?
You will still be able to exchange a green card for a TIE after transition ends either simply because you choose to so, if your green card is temp and you want a card showing permanent, if you lose your green card or if you change address etc. Its simply a matter of no more green cards will be issued to UK nationals after 6 July 2020 as we are no longer eu citizens which is who the green card is for.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 4th 2020 at 12:28 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonzodog
No, not in Alicante. He handed mine back to me.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean, what is meant to be proven?
What is yet to be proven, is that people will report back their experiences of getting a TIE card, of what actually happens in different towns / provinces. Nothing is "set in stone" yet as to what the people sitting behind the desk will actually ask for.

From the UK gov website it says people who have been in spain for long enough when applying for the TIE can get a permanent residence TIE (valid for up to 10 years then renewable after that i imagine).
yes, IF the person applying fulfils all the requirements.

However if you have the green card, you already have permanent residence
- not true, not all green forms / cards are permanant,
the TIE is just a formality,
yes, at the moment it doesnt "have" to be done. They are the only "residencia" being issued now - there are no more green forms being issued at all.

not at all - the TIE card is around to stay.

Old Oct 5th 2020, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Saying not all green residencia cards are permanent is a little mis leading. The initial one issued is temporary residence. 5 years after it's issue you could change it for one that had permanent stamped on it. My understanding is again that change wasn't mandatory as the date of issue is stamped on the card and it is the 5 years residence that entitles one to permanent residence. The TIE card follows same 5 years temporary rule after which one applies for permanent. Main difference is the "permanent" TIE card needs renewing every 10 years to update the photo a permanent green card doesn't need renewing as no photo.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Saying not all green residencia cards are permanent is a little mis leading. The initial one issued is temporary residence. 5 years after it's issue you could change it for one that had permanent stamped on it. My understanding is again that change wasn't mandatory as the date of issue is stamped on the card and it is the 5 years residence that entitles one to permanent residence. The TIE card follows same 5 years temporary rule after which one applies for permanent. Main difference is the "permanent" TIE card needs renewing every 10 years to update the photo a permanent green card doesn't need renewing as no photo.

Let me explain Bob, - 20 years ago when I came here white forms were issued, these were temporary. When i changed my temporary one for a "real" (green) one, it was issued *without an end date* this is considered to be permanent. So 15 years ago, green forms were being issued *with an expiry date* - these are considered temporary. You could, if you wish, go back and re-apply / upgrade to a permanant one, by jumping through hoops and proving your status etc. a good percentage of people "just didnt bother" renewing at the time, so still hold, a now expired, green form.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and the green form has now changed to a green card that pops out of the green form. it is glossy on one side, and "paper" or "printable" on the other side. There are ones without a date (permanent) and ones with a date (temporary). Obviously the people who have a green card without a date dont need to worry. The people who now have an expired green card, while their residency would probably be recognised, it is not technically permanant and they would pressumably, have to jump through hoops - heatlh insurance, money in the bank etc.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer. I didnt mean to confuse.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks only thing is the green card we were issued up to 6 July the first one they issued doesn't have an expiry date on it only the date of issue. After 5 years that could be exchanged for one that has permanent printed on it. I have the initial green card been resident 2 years once I get to 5 years residence I will exchange it for a permanent TIE. The Spanish government have said that will be a simple exchange procedure with no need to prove income healthcare etc as you have already done that to obtain green card.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this in good faith - and yes when I applied it was handed back to me BUT when I went to collect my TIE card this morning - you have to show the receipt, passport AND handover the old green card/A4 paper - which I did not have on me (Gestoria said only passport and receipt) so no card this morning. He actually apologised (!) I told him it was not his fault.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spainrico

I posted this in good faith - and yes when I applied it was handed back to me BUT when I went to collect my TIE card this morning - you have to show the receipt, passport AND handover the old green card/A4 paper - which I did not have on me (Gestoria said only passport and receipt) so no card this morning. He actually apologised (!) I told him it was not his fault.
That's what I said - at first or second (collection) appointment. I repeat make sure you make a colour photocopy of your green paper/card, which may help when applying for permanente, as it contains the issue date.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Not our experience nor that of a number of people I know who have exchanged their green residencia cards for a TIE.

Maybe a new funcionario?

Edit

Missed your follow up post. Yes handing over the green card at the point of collecting the TIE is the normal procedure.

Last edited by Notdunroamin; Oct 5th 2020 at 1:32 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I told him it was not his fault.
Which it absolutely was!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.