Filing a tax return

Wikiposts

Filing a tax return

Old May 31st 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Emily77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filing a tax return

hi there

can anyone help answer a tax related question - i received maternity benefit during 2011 while off work on maternity leave, as well as after returning to work and i have been told that i need to file a tax declaration before the 30th of June 2012. as i only now have a month before the deadline i would like to know if i really do have to file a return.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filing a tax return

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

I do not know the true answer to your question but would have thought that it would be advisable because you could possibly receive a refund on the tax that you have paid.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 31st 2012, 9:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily77
hi there

can anyone help answer a tax related question - i received maternity benefit during 2011 while off work on maternity leave, as well as after returning to work and i have been told that i need to file a tax declaration before the 30th of June 2012. as i only now have a month before the deadline i would like to know if i really do have to file a return.
Yes, legally you have to file a tax return every year, even if you have not worked or have no income, it's a legal requirement, just like in the UK. An Assessoria or Gestor would be the best person to deal with this for you.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, legally you have to file a tax return every year, even if you have not worked or have no income, it's a legal requirement, just like in the UK. An Assessoria or Gestor would be the best person to deal with this for you.
No it is not a legal requirement to submit a tax declaration.

If you are working and paying PAYE then unless your income is over €22k you do not have to declare.

If you have no income at all then you don't have to declare.

There are other limits but as they are pretty complicated I won't go into them here.
Old May 31st 2012, 11:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emily77
hi there

I assume you are working in Spain and the benefits were paid from Spanish social security. Is that so?

If you were working at all during 2011 was tax deducted from your wages?

Mikelincs suggestion of seeing a gestor is good - it can be quite complicated and if you have paid any tax then there might be a rebate due.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

if you were working for part of the year you probably only used part of your personal allowance so you may get a tax rebate