Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry cabin- inny or outy?

Ferry cabin- inny or outy?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry cabin- inny or outy?

Feeling green just reading this thread.
Sea legs? Is that available here or what's the Spanish equivalent?
Also, if you book an inner cabin how do you know where it's going to be situated if you don't want to be in the depths by the screws?
It's the kids I'm most concerned for, they get sick going in a lift.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Hi
We use the ferry 3 or 4 times a year, always the pont avon as we can carry the parrots on there, we travelled last sunday, last, I would suggest a inside cabin with a upgrade to a 4 berth for 2 people, its only 10 pounds extra and well worth it for the extra space,and without the window you will not see the movement, and also sleep longer due to not being blinded by daylight, I would also suggest a sea sick tablet as a precaution, just don't over do the drink and you should be ok, if it gets rough for a short while, it will be leaving the Bay about an hour after you set sail, just sit in cabin and read, take a kettle and some thing to eat and you won't even have to go wandering around if you choose not too, I put my ipod on my ears as it takes your mind off the movement, have to say I have never seen anyone sober being partically ill, but the doctor is on call 24-7 if he is needed, enjoy your trip, i'll be returning myself in a day or two, lets hope the rain stops before then LOL !
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure I have seen a plan of the cabins somewhere on the website.

I have to disagree with the comment 'have to say I have never seen anyone sober being partically ill' I have seen a fair few sober people people being very sick, myself included on 2 occasions.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:07 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold
Default Ferry and pets...

Good thread! After reading it I guess we will consider an inner large cabin.

We are thinking about bringing our car and our cats on the ferry, either to Bilbao or to Santander. They say something about fennels for dogs or keeping cats in the car. I've never used a ferry with a car, so please excuse my silly questions

- If left in the car, can they stay out of their carriers, and can one access the car to make sure that they have some food and water and play a bit with them?

- If we put them in small kennels, where would they stay for the trip? Can we visit them? I guess we won't be able to take them to our cabin...
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Hi
We use the ferry 3 or 4 times a year, always the pont avon as we can carry the parrots on there, we travelled last sunday, last, I would suggest a inside cabin with a upgrade to a 4 berth for 2 people, its only 10 pounds extra and well worth it for the extra space,and without the window you will not see the movement, and also sleep longer due to not being blinded by daylight, I would also suggest a sea sick tablet as a precaution, just don't over do the drink and you should be ok, if it gets rough for a short while, it will be leaving the Bay about an hour after you set sail, just sit in cabin and read, take a kettle and some thing to eat and you won't even have to go wandering around if you choose not too, I put my ipod on my ears as it takes your mind off the movement, have to say I have never seen anyone sober being partically ill, but the doctor is on call 24-7 if he is needed, enjoy your trip, i'll be returning myself in a day or two, lets hope the rain stops before then LOL !
I'm booked out of Bilbao in December on the Finistere.

I looked at a few different timings but didn't see the Pont Aven mentioned for some reason, though I do know from previous years that its usually working the Portsmouth/St Malo route in Winter.

The good news for me is that the Finistere has dog friendly cabins, so for anyone booking early enough the dog can stay with the owner rather than in those terrible cages up on the top deck.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Cats stay in the car, but can only travel on the Pont Avon as its the only ferry with heating in the garage, you can go down to visit at 9pm and 7am but you can not let the cats loose for obvious reasons. It was 3 visits until recently, but the animals seem to fare better left undisturbed with food and water left for them, something I never imagined doing, but my parrots can manage with a large bowl of food and water for the 24 hour trip.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:52 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Up front in Commodore Class when it's solid green hitting the windows and the passenders come unstuck from the deck can also be entertaining.
hows about driving around in a 2,500ton frigate, emergency sailing from Hong Kong because a typhoon changed course, left half the crew on shore, I was sitting in the radio room with one hand on a morse key, other hand holding on to a radio, and a bucket between my legs to be sick into.
when she went up she came down in a different direction and shuddered.
when she rolled the Point of No Return indication point was exceeded at least twice.
a 5ton generator secured to the after deck with bolts was taken away with only a couple of scratches to show it had been there.

plus side was we found a smoothish bit and launched helo, pilot pulled several seamen off a freighter that was blown on to a sand bar. He got the Queens Commendation for that.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
hows about driving around in a 2,500ton frigate, emergency sailing from Hong Kong because a typhoon changed course, left half the crew on shore, I was sitting in the radio room with one hand on a morse key, other hand holding on to a radio, and a bucket between my legs to be sick into.
when she went up she came down in a different direction and shuddered.
when she rolled the Point of No Return indication point was exceeded at least twice.
a 5ton generator secured to the after deck with bolts was taken away with only a couple of scratches to show it had been there.

plus side was we found a smoothish bit and launched helo, pilot pulled several seamen off a freighter that was blown on to a sand bar. He got the Queens Commendation for that.

You were being paid I had to pay for the experience

Mind you rolling 30 degrees either side for hours on end in a 72 footer in the Bahama's channel with most of the inner fittings flying around the cabins was fun
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'm booked out of Bilbao in December on the Finistere.

I looked at a few different timings but didn't see the Pont Aven mentioned for some reason, though I do know from previous years that its usually working the Portsmouth/St Malo route in Winter.

The good news for me is that the Finistere has dog friendly cabins, so for anyone booking early enough the dog can stay with the owner rather than in those terrible cages up on the top deck.
Identical to regular cabins but without carpets
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:11 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

On the P&O Ferry we used to go for outer, because I didnt like the ship much and we spent time in the cabin. It was less claustrophobic.

On the Brittany Ferry we have gone for the inner, because theres more to do on their ferry, so we spend little time in the cabin. Its also a shorter crossing.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
On the P&O Ferry we used to go for outer, because I didnt like the ship much and we spent time in the cabin. It was less claustrophobic.

On the Brittany Ferry we have gone for the inner, because theres more to do on their ferry, so we spend little time in the cabin. Its also a shorter crossing.
Absolutely Brittany are far better than P&O ever were hence no more P&O out of Spain .
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
You were being paid I had to pay for the experience

Mind you rolling 30 degrees either side for hours on end in a 72 footer in the Bahama's channel with most of the inner fittings flying around the cabins was fun
Fred, back in those days the Military Salary was a joke, farmhands got better pay than us and went home at night.
It took alot of hard work to rise to the current level of inequality between the armed forces and the police for example. And still no overtime payments.

Every time I went to the Bahamas it was mill-pond weather. Just once, on a 10,000ton cruiser, we caught the side of a heavy storm in the Bermuda Triangle, and were thrown about like a cork. It was April so a bit early for hurricane weather. Went to the rescue of a merchant ship on that one too. Seems she had no life rafts and her cargo had shifted in the hold giving a permanant list.

must start writing all these things down somewhere......
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Start a blog
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry and pets...

Originally Posted by evamar
Good thread! After reading it I guess we will consider an inner large cabin.

We are thinking about bringing our car and our cats on the ferry, either to Bilbao or to Santander. They say something about fennels for dogs or keeping cats in the car. I've never used a ferry with a car, so please excuse my silly questions

- If left in the car, can they stay out of their carriers, and can one access the car to make sure that they have some food and water and play a bit with them?

- If we put them in small kennels, where would they stay for the trip? Can we visit them? I guess we won't be able to take them to our cabin...
Have a look at Brittany Ferries website. There is a very informative section dealing with pets.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Identical to regular cabins but without carpets
Thats right. I've been using them on Stena line in the Scandinavia German area for quite a few years.
No carpet, but they do have doggy beds and free doggy snacks, though you can imagne which bed the dog usually chooses if available.
They also have doggy toilets out in the exercise area.
I didn't notice those on the Brittany line but maybe I missed them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.