British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   feed back on Maella, Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/feed-back-maella-spain-935903/)

markhaworth65 Nov 29th 2020 9:54 am

feed back on Maella, Spain

Hi to you all .
Im new on here , but my partner and i are looking to buy a small finca in Maella ,with the intent of placing a mobile home on it for my family to spend 4 months a year on.
it would be nice to get any feed back regarding Maella.
All the best Mark

missile Nov 29th 2020 11:58 am

Re: feed back on Maella, Spain

Check with the ayuntamiento. There may be rules you must abide by.

spainrico Nov 29th 2020 2:36 pm

Are your family residents? If not 4 months could be a problem............

markhaworth65 Nov 29th 2020 2:50 pm

Hi .
We live in the UK.
My son is still at secondary school.
Our hope is to buy the land and spend at least 2 months a year in Maella .
Once my son leaves school in 5 years i hope to have built a small place or even container homes.
At this point i would be looking to live in spain full time .
All the best Mark

Pulaski Nov 29th 2020 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by markhaworth65 (Post 12941020)
.... At this point i would be looking to live in spain full time. .....

Assuming you haven't started the process to establish residency in Spain by 31/12/20, unless you have a passport from an EU country, or some other route to a right of residence in Spain/EU, you'll need to research visa requirements if you want to spend more than 90 days in any 180 day period in Spain/ Schengen zone.

Moses2013 Nov 29th 2020 3:01 pm

Agree with missile and every council has different regulations. Some don't allow at all and otherwise you would need planning permission. Even a shed would need planning permission as soon as it's considered living space. Better check before buying the villa.

dmu Nov 29th 2020 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by markhaworth65 (Post 12941020)
Hi .
We live in the UK.
My son is still at secondary school.
Our hope is to buy the land and spend at least 2 months a year in Maella .
Once my son leaves school in 5 years i hope to have built a small place or even container homes.
At this point i would be looking to live in spain full time .
All the best Mark

To clarify, is your partner your son's mother? If not, you should research Spanish Inheritance Laws (via the Notario)
when you buy your property jointly with her.
How does your son see his future after he leaves school and you're living in Spain full time?
Issues to be considered in addition to building permits and your limited rights after Brexit...

markhaworth65 Dec 1st 2020 3:38 pm

The estate agent who is selling the land has informed me that a mobile home will be permitted on the land.
In the uk there is a law which allows you to spend so many weeks a year on your land , is there a similar law in Spain?
As for my son ,he has expressed a wish to live and work the land.
Im guessing there will still be a way to emigrate to Spain after the Brexit.
As i said previously im new to all this ,so any advice will be great.
All the best Mark

missile Dec 1st 2020 4:51 pm

I. Hope you are correct. I would not rely on an EA

Moses2013 Dec 1st 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by markhaworth65 (Post 12941784)
The estate agent who is selling the land has informed me that a mobile home will be permitted on the land.
In the uk there is a law which allows you to spend so many weeks a year on your land , is there a similar law in Spain?
All the best Mark

No point trusting an estate agent. Unless you have the official docs from the Ayuntamiento website that are published online, you or your lawyer will need to ask the planning department. Often it's the small print people don't read. You might be able to put a mobile home on your land but it doesn't automatically mean you can sleep in it. Don't forget that you often need a licence just to tile your patio.
https://blog.abacoadvisers.com/obtai...ilding-permit/
Just to add to this, even where we are things have changed. It used to be no problem but the planning laws from 5 years ago no longer count. So unless someone had the mobile home registered, they might have to remove this year if checked. No idea about Maella but different streets and urbanisations can have different regulations.

dmu Dec 2nd 2020 8:11 am

Originally Posted by markhaworth65 (Post 12941784)
All the best Mark

An Estate Agent's aim in life is to sell property to earn a commission. Up to you, as said, to find out the legal side of things at the Town Hall before signing anything. A "mobile home" might be allowed, but what about electricity and running water?
Bear in mind that if your son still wishes to work the land, and presuming that he'll be of age by then, he must have a legal employment status (salaried, autonomo, ...) and pay healthcare insurance contributions. Unless he has a job lined up when you finally move, he must take out private healthcare insurance, just like you the adults, if you aren't receiving UK State Pensions or are "inactive", i.e. not earning a living.
All this is assuming that, when you do finally move to Spain full time, you all comply with the post-Brexit Visa requirements, in the same way as expats heading for Australia, USA, etc... at present. But there's nothing to stop you buying a "holiday home" now and staying there for the regulated periods until then.
Just make sure from the Authorities that, in 5 years' time, your property will be "legally" inhabitable on a permanent basis.
HTH

markhaworth65 Dec 2nd 2020 10:57 am

Thank you all for your input.
Foolishly i thought , buy the land and i'm half way there.
It's looking more like a mine field which can only get wears with Brexit.
I'm starting to think putting a caravan on a caravan site over there would be a lot simpler .
All the best Mark

missile Dec 2nd 2020 11:01 am

Why a caravan? You could rent a flat for similar spend.

markhaworth65 Dec 2nd 2020 11:12 am

Really ?
Thank you .
Thats another idea worth looking in to, i guess by renting i could shop for the perfect piece of land whilst getting used to the way of life.
All the best Mark

Moses2013 Dec 2nd 2020 11:48 am

Or just buy a property that has enough space for the family, rather than focusing on the caravan.