British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   fears over painkiller Nolotil grow for Brits in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/fears-over-painkiller-nolotil-grow-brits-spain-949961/)

spainrico Dec 3rd 2023 6:41 am

fears over painkiller Nolotil grow for Brits in Spain

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...droidApp_Other

TrueColours Dec 3rd 2023 8:46 am

Re: fears over painkiller Nolotil grow for Brits in Spain

Thank you for this information. I had no idea but I also refuse to take any painkillers but having said that, its kinda hard if something bad happens and you are on an operating table somewhere and cant make your feelings known ...

Thank you again

growinspain Dec 3rd 2023 10:33 am

Not just brits but Northern Europeans

bobd22 Dec 3rd 2023 10:39 am

Originally Posted by growinspain (Post 13229244)
Not just brits but Northern Europeans

Yes that's my understanding . I knew nothing about this but my wife did. She was ill about 6 .months ago and as our health centre wasn't open she visited a neighbouring one. They prescribed this along with other medication . She didn't get this one from Pharmacy. She later spoke with our doctor who confirmed it should not be prescribed to Northern Europeans and placed a note on her medical record to show this.

astera Dec 3rd 2023 10:39 pm

Why are they even prescribing this in the first place in lieu of better alternatives? Cheapest solution out there or what?

Notdunroamin Dec 4th 2023 7:28 am

Nolotil is the 'go to' pain relief medication in Spain in much the same way as Paracetamol is in UK.

This is far from news though as the fact that it's potentially lethal, not just to Brits but Northern European people in general, has been common knowledge for quite a few years yet astonishingly significant numbers of workers in the Spanish health care sector still seem oblivious to it.

It's one of the medicines which has been specifically banned from sale without prescription but given it's popularity with the Spanish I would guess that's probably universally ignored.

astera Dec 4th 2023 10:14 am

I noticed that in general prescriptions requirements vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. Some want one... while others don't even ask.

Still I'm surprised that Nolotil is so universally used here when I've never come across it anywhere else in the world. Seriously, why not paracetamol which the entire world uses?

snikpoh Dec 4th 2023 10:23 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 13229422)
I noticed that in general prescriptions requirements vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. Some want one... while others don't even ask.

Still I'm surprised that Nolotil is so universally used here when I've never come across it anywhere else in the world. Seriously, why not paracetamol which the entire world uses?

They prescribe both (nolotil AND paracetamol) - when I had back surgery, I came round to find I was on a drip for both. I complained and they just stated that I was wrong. I've since printed off the facts and also wear a bracelet stating NO NOLOTIL .

astera Dec 4th 2023 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 13229423)
They prescribe both (nolotil AND paracetamol) - when I had back surgery, I came round to find I was on a drip for both. I complained and they just stated that I was wrong. I've since printed off the facts and also wear a bracelet stating NO NOLOTIL .

Paracetamol is completely over the counter here though with no prescription required, right?

Curious why they don't use ibuprofen but maybe it's because you shouldn't take it at the same time as aspirin...

Fred James Dec 4th 2023 12:35 pm

Ibuprofen has far more risky side effects than paracetamol. You can no longer get 1g paracetamol tablets OTC, just the new 625mg versions.

You can get Nolotil on your medical records by defining it as a drug allergy.

bobd22 Dec 4th 2023 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 13229449)
Ibuprofen has far more risky side effects than paracetamol. .

That is very true and caused me problems a few years ago. I don't touch ibuprofen these days.

Mark604 Dec 4th 2023 7:53 pm

I've read the article and still have a question - what is so special about northern Europeans and this drug?
Am I right that there is only anecdotal evidence and nothing concrete? It mentions "studies" but no empirical results..........

growinspain Dec 4th 2023 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mark604 (Post 13229528)
I've read the article and still have a question - what is so special about northern Europeans and this drug?
Am I right that there is only anecdotal evidence and nothing concrete? It mentions "studies" but no empirical results..........

If you read further or better sources then you will discover that it is genetically deter-mental to people or persons with a specific Northern gene... Islanders from the left and right and Scandi countries...

growinspain Dec 4th 2023 10:01 pm

Viking genes I would guess....

astera Dec 5th 2023 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13229478)
That is very true and caused me problems a few years ago. I don't touch ibuprofen these days.

What happened? I know ibuprofen and aspirin don't work well together for your liver but did Ibuprofen alone cause something?