Reload this Page >

FAO People who live in Jerez...

FAO People who live in Jerez...

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Choombo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FAO People who live in Jerez...

...or those that have visited there.

On sunday Xerez are playing Málaga CF and a few of us from the ex-pats supporters club are visiting the town for the weekend. None of us have been there before so any recommendations for the location of best bars, restaurants and places of interest would be of great help and much appreciated.

Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:33 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FAO People who live in Jerez...

Originally Posted by Choombo
...or those that have visited there.

On sunday Xerez are playing Málaga CF and a few of us from the ex-pats supporters club are visiting the town for the weekend. None of us have been there before so any recommendations for the location of best bars, restaurants and places of interest would be of great help and much appreciated.

I'm not sure what type of things you would be interested in, but one of the main industries in Jerez is sherry. There are dozens of bodegas, the biggest and most touristy being Gonzalez Byass. You can do a visit and finish up with a wine tasting session. 7 euros I think.

The other big industry is horses. If you are there for just the weekend, the only one open I think would be Yeguada de la Cartuja which opens Saturday mornings. It is a stud farm. You start with a tour of the stud farm and explanation of what they do and finish with a display in the arena. Lasts about a couple of hours. Even if you aren't into horses, this is a good trip with plenty of variety.

There is also the Grand Prix track. If any of the teams are practicing this weekend you can usually watch for a couple of euros. (Schumacher was there last weekend).

Best bar - Berber in the old quarter. It attracts all age groups and is extremely beautiful. It has a nightclub attached to one side for the younger generations, and the older age groups tend to stick to the bar areas, most of which are open air, and the place looks like a converted moorish palace.

My fave restaurant is being renovated at the moment so I am at a loss for a restaurant recommendation.

Have fun

Keith
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info Keith

Where is this nice bar, is it near Plaza Arenal where all the other main bars and tapas places seem to be?

Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info Keith

Where is this nice bar, is it near Plaza Arenal where all the other main bars and tapas places seem to be?

Bar Juanito is located at the Plaza del Arenal, reputedly to be the best tpas bar in Andalucia, fantastic atmosphere, but does get very busy
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:51 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I'm not sure what type of things you would be interested in, but one of the main industries in Jerez is sherry. There are dozens of bodegas, the biggest and most touristy being Gonzalez Byass. You can do a visit and finish up with a wine tasting session. 7 euros I think.

The other big industry is horses. If you are there for just the weekend, the only one open I think would be Yeguada de la Cartuja which opens Saturday mornings. It is a stud farm. You start with a tour of the stud farm and explanation of what they do and finish with a display in the arena. Lasts about a couple of hours. Even if you aren't into horses, this is a good trip with plenty of variety.

There is also the Grand Prix track. If any of the teams are practicing this weekend you can usually watch for a couple of euros. (Schumacher was there last weekend).

Best bar - Berber in the old quarter. It attracts all age groups and is extremely beautiful. It has a nightclub attached to one side for the younger generations, and the older age groups tend to stick to the bar areas, most of which are open air, and the place looks like a converted moorish palace.

My fave restaurant is being renovated at the moment so I am at a loss for a restaurant recommendation.

Have fun

Keith
Well I hope the display in the arena is not related to the activities of the stud farm as your post seems to suggest!!! Or maybe this would make it more interesting....
Yes please can you tell us exactly where Berber is ??? The nicest place I found is the restaurant on the corner by the church..possibly Plaza Arenal ?
One dines under the trees outside. Not the greatest food but wins on atmosphere.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:28 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Agnes
Bar Juanito is located at the Plaza del Arenal, reputedly to be the best tpas bar in Andalucia, fantastic atmosphere, but does get very busy
I kindof assumed Choombo was referring to bars for evening entertainment and forgot to mention tapas bars. Juanito is extremely good - but as you say it can sometimes be difficult to get a seat at lunchtime.

An alternative tapas bar is a new one that has opened in front of el Corte Ingles called Pinxando. It is tapas with a difference. It is alta cuisine in the form of little tapas. Very nice and completely original.

Berber is in the old quarter behind the old defence wall in the Barrio San Mateo if I have got the name right. It is just off Plaza del Mercado.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:30 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by poollounger
Well I hope the display in the arena is not related to the activities of the stud farm as your post seems to suggest!!! Or maybe this would make it more interesting....
Yes please can you tell us exactly where Berber is ??? The nicest place I found is the restaurant on the corner by the church..possibly Plaza Arenal ?
One dines under the trees outside. Not the greatest food but wins on atmosphere.
Tee hee. Perhaps I should read my posts through before submitting them!

It would make an interesting show - but unfortunately the display is somewhat more traditional - carriages, dressage, and lots of mares and foals running around in circles.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for your help, will definitely try Bar Bereber on saturday night, I found out where Plaza Mercado is (Google Earth is great init )

Will also try Juanitos, but perhaps at not too busy a time.

Keith, are they still lacking in decent chicken there as you said a few months ago on the Chinese food thread!? I saw a Calle Pollo on the map, not even a KFC down that road?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:33 pm
has got a huge member

Thanks again for your help, will definitely try Bar Bereber on saturday night, I found out where Plaza Mercado is (Google Earth is great init )

Will also try Juanitos, but perhaps at not too busy a time.

Keith, are they still lacking in decent chicken there as you said a few months ago on the Chinese food thread!? I saw a Calle Pollo on the map, not even a KFC down that road?
Ha! Chicken Street! Why is it that when you translate street names into English they sound really naff? That could be a good idea for a new thread - who lives in the stupidest sounding street when translated into English.

The point I was trying to make is that there was a lack of international restaurants in Jerez and used chicken as a example of something that is difficult to obtain in restaurants. Somehow I seemed to end up sounding like some chicken obsessed lunatic!

Keith
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

I kindof assumed Choombo was referring to bars for evening entertainment and forgot to mention tapas bars. Juanito is extremely good - but as you say it can sometimes be difficult to get a seat at lunchtime.

An alternative tapas bar is a new one that has opened in front of el Corte Ingles called Pinxando. It is tapas with a difference. It is alta cuisine in the form of little tapas. Very nice and completely original.

Berber is in the old quarter behind the old defence wall in the Barrio San Mateo if I have got the name right. It is just off Plaza del Mercado.
Keith

I have not yet discovered Pinxando, but I will certainly try it. If you like fish have you tried Bar Arturos, close to the cathedral, but you have to be a local to know about it. We tried last Friday lunch time but of course it was a bridge day and it was full of locals.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Ha! Chicken Street! Why is it that when you translate street names into English they sound really naff? That could be a good idea for a new thread - who lives in the stupidest sounding street when translated into English.
I also saw streets on the Jerez map called Calle Ponce and Calle Taxdirt

The point I was trying to make is that there was a lack of international restaurants in Jerez and used chicken as a example of something that is difficult to obtain in restaurants. Somehow I seemed to end up sounding like some chicken obsessed lunatic!

Keith
I can see why you've got to be a fan of tapas if you live in Jerez. Although I did see about 20 international restarants advertised on the guide I had (one of them was Houston Tex Mex, don't order the chilli burger in there, it was the most vile chilli, unless you like mashed corned beef with some kidney beans in it).

Must admit we got sick of tapas after 3 days and had a nice Chinese for lunch before we left.

Enjoyed the visit very much (apart from Malaga losing to Xerez and two of my friends, over 50, getting a bit of a kicking from their lunatic supporters after the match).
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:39 pm
has got a huge member

I also saw streets on the Jerez map called Calle Ponce and Calle Taxdirt

I can see why you've got to be a fan of tapas if you live in Jerez. Although I did see about 20 international restarants advertised on the guide I had (one of them was Houston Tex Mex, don't order the chilli burger in there, it was the most vile chilli, unless you like mashed corned beef with some kidney beans in it).

Must admit we got sick of tapas after 3 days and had a nice Chinese for lunch before we left.

Enjoyed the visit very much (apart from Malaga losing to Xerez and two of my friends, over 50, getting a bit of a kicking from their lunatic supporters after the match).
Spanish food is great - just not day in day out. Are there really 20 international restaurants? I can think of a few chinese and italians. also the tex mex that you mentioned. Are there any other nationality restaurants listed in your guide? and if so where???

Sorry to hear about the problems your friends had - I hope they are ok. What is is about football that brings out the idiot in a person?

(Xerez won - yay!)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=keithwalters]Spanish food is great - just not day in day out. Are there really 20 international restaurants? I can think of a few chinese and italians. also the tex mex that you mentioned. Are there any other nationality restaurants listed in your guide? and if so where???

From memory there was a brilliant Argentine restaurant up near the Escuella.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:59 pm
has got a huge member

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]
Spanish food is great - just not day in day out. Are there really 20 international restaurants? I can think of a few chinese and italians. also the tex mex that you mentioned. Are there any other nationality restaurants listed in your guide? and if so where???

From memory there was a brilliant Argentine restaurant up near the Escuella.
Now that sounds more interesting - but what was it called, or where was it? I can't think of any restaurants off the top of my head near the escuela.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear about the problems your friends had - I hope they are ok. What is is about football that brings out the idiot in a person?

(Xerez won - yay!)
Italian restaurant Bellaquio, Plaza Monti, behind Plaza Arenal is excellent.