Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

family want to move

family want to move

Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:37 am
Just Joined

scallen16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family want to move

me my girlfriend and our 2 boys wants to move to mallorca but not sure where to start we got a 1 year old boy and a 4 year old who is in school so we want to get him into school over there just not sure where to start do i get a flat first or a job do i have to get residency first and any help will be great full.

thanks
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family want to move

Originally Posted by scallen16
me my girlfriend and our 2 boys wants to move to mallorca but not sure where to start we got a 1 year old boy and a 4 year old who is in school so we want to get him into school over there just not sure where to start do i get a flat first or a job do i have to get residency first and any help will be great full.

thanks

If you don't have a job yet (and need one), don't even think of moving.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:44 am
Just Joined

so get a job over there first because was looking and i need a nie number to get a job that right ?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

so get a job over there first because was looking and i need a nie number to get a job that right ?
Yes, but decent paying jobs with legal contracts are like hens teeth in Spain. DO you have any special skills, and are you fluent in Spanish? these are two things you need to look at, if you are not looking at a job that requires special skills, then remember that the 50% of Spanish unemployrd are looking for the same jobs, and you would need a contracted job to get access to the Spanish healthcare swervice. Unfortunately, unless you are married, that may well not include cover for you girlfriend who would require her own contracted job, or a private scheme. Given the information you have told us, then I would strongly suggest remaining in the UK, where there is, at least, a benefit system to fall back on, and that would not be accessible in Spain.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:57 am
Just Joined

ok not looking good as all i know is hospitality and army lol and we dont speak Spanish we was going to learn Catalan, my girlfriend works in children centers working with families and children tho she can work in nursery's
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
thanks
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

ok not looking good as all i know is hospitality and army lol and we dont speak Spanish we was going to learn Catalan, my girlfriend works in children centers working with families and children tho she can work in nursery's
Certainly not looking good, most hospitality jobs are short temr, holiday times, and are paid cash in hand, giving no access to ealthcare, many of them are at €5 an hour or less, so almost impossible to even earn enough to cover rental costs. Also remember that although schooling is free for children, you still have to pay for books and anything else, no free school meals, no free after scholl activities. Working in childrens centres will certainly need a good level of Spanish. If you have a jobs in the UK, then why give them up to move to a country with an unemployment level many times that of the UK. I live in Bournemouth and the hotels etc round here are staffed by manily Spanish people who come here because they can't find hospitality jobs in Spain.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:08 am
Just Joined

thanks at the minute i am not working that why we thought we would try start a fresh some where new
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:12 am
Concierge

thanks at the minute i am not working that why we thought we would try start a fresh some where new
As was said at the start, unless you have a good job, with contract, waiting for you when you arrive, then I just wouldn't bother. You need to proveide proof that you have sufficient money to live on and that you have healthcare cover already sorted before you can become resident, and it's always been advised on this forum that you should probably have enough money to last for at least 6 months, and preferably 12 before you arrive.

Last edited by mikelincs; Sep 9th 2014 at 8:25 am.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:16 am
Just Joined

thanks will need to re think a few things thanks
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:29 am
Just Joined

just been looking and with the work my partner does would she be able to work in one there English private schools as a teaching assistant
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:31 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

just been looking and with the work my partner does would she be able to work in one there English private schools as a teaching assistant
The trouble is that every other Brit is trying to get the same job.

Does she have teaching qualifications?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

she doing an apprenticeship with the council to become a teaching assistant she nearly finished it, so is it worth us both looking and applying for jobs now and if one of us is successful then get a flat and move over there ?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

she doing an apprenticeship with the council to become a teaching assistant she nearly finished it, so is it worth us both looking and applying for jobs now and if one of us is successful then get a flat and move over there ?
Sorry to say that her qualification will not be recognised here.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.