Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

Old May 7th 2008, 4:07 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Talking Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

I just wondered how people living here now your all settled and got your odd jobs done, feel about that telephone call........ We would like to come over

Now when they come over, Do they eat you out of house and home without getting so much as a litre of milk, Or do they do a shop and buy the extra things they like/need or as they are friends and family you feel why should they pay for anything as its a pleasure just to see them after all they only have two wages coming in and you are just pensioners
Old May 7th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all
Default Re: Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

We do one big shop enough to last about a week and then we put money in a kitty - about $100 (or euros) each and just buy everything inc coffees out, shopping etc and top it up when needed. My parents are pensioners too but this was their idea and works great. There doesn't seem to be any resentment about who bought what.Good luck.

Last edited by Reading fan; May 7th 2008 at 7:05 am. Reason: added euros
Old May 7th 2008, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I just wondered how people living here now your all settled and got your odd jobs done, feel about that telephone call........ We would like to come over

Now when they come over, Do they eat you out of house and home without getting so much as a litre of milk, Or do they do a shop and buy the extra things they like/need or as they are friends and family you feel why should they pay for anything as its a pleasure just to see them after all they only have two wages coming in and you are just pensioners
Hi poshnbucks,

This was the funniest post I saw last year so I copied it to file so that I could laminate a copy and hang it in the house loo just to remind visitors that the villa was our home. I think it was the "oddities" that posted it but I could be wrong.

Regards,

John.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
The joy of visitors.doc (25.5 KB, 58 views)
Old May 7th 2008, 8:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi poshnbucks,

This was the funniest post I saw last year so I copied it to file so that I could laminate a copy and hang it in the house loo just to remind visitors that the villa was our home. I think it was the "oddities" that posted it but I could be wrong.

Regards,

John.

Would love to take credit for the poem but alas it was not us. Cannot remember who it was but think that it sums up a lot of people's experiences of visitors. Laminating it is an excellent idea.

Rosemary
Old May 7th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

When we stayed with relatives last November - we bought certain things we knew we'd want (we have kids) - but used their basics like milk, bread etc - replacing some things later in the day if we knew they were running out. We were out and about most days - eating out for lunch etc - but if an evening BBQ or day out was arranged with them we contributed towards the food that would be used / taken with us - or paid our share of a takeaway. At the end of the holiday we treated them to a meal out as a thank you for letting us stay as well as stocking them up with some beers & wine...

They even bought nappies / wipes etc for our son before we arrived - but i made sure we gave them the money for those things as that's something they definitely shouldn't have been out of pocket for.....

If people are putting you up - you are bound to use some of their stuff i guess, but i would hate to be regarded as a free-loader and be talked about after we'd left! I dont think i would let anyone take advantage if they stayed with us..... But there are a couple of people i would insist didn't contribute (ie, my Mum&Dad) but i know they'll never be visiting me in Australia when we eventually get there - and they're like most people i know anyway - it's in their nature to contribute or at least offer!
Old May 7th 2008, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Family staying from UK. Freeloaders or treat them

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Would love to take credit for the poem but alas it was not us. Cannot remember who it was but think that it sums up a lot of people's experiences of visitors. Laminating it is an excellent idea.

Rosemary
Hi The oddities,

You are of course correct it was "twyntub" who was the author and posted the original.

Apologies,

John.
Old May 7th 2008, 9:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi The oddities,

You are of course correct it was "twyntub" who was the author and posted the original.

Apologies,

John.
No need for apologies at all, just wish that I could have taken credit for it.

Rosemary
Old May 7th 2008, 10:47 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Hi poshnbucks,

Regards,

John.
I think the lets take you out for a meal rings so true after eating xxxxx euros worth of grub they think you should be ohhhhhhh so greatful when they pick up the small menu of the day tab and have your washing machine on 24/7 I will not mention the mess in the bathrooms and pool towels thrown about left for you to pick up............ oh I just did :curse: but we love em really..... don't we

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 7th 2008 at 10:50 am.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Some do, and they even think that giving you €30 for the week is enough to cover the costs. But then others come, buy their own food, treat you to meals etc and even give you diesel money to cover the costs of transporting to and from the airport. You just take the rough with the smooth.. BUT if they say that arriving at midnight saves them few Euros on fares, you jsut say that that is far to late to be collecting them from the aitport, but that taxis are easy to find, so they can just get one at the airport..
Old May 7th 2008, 11:04 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

We must be lucky, friends and relatives come over here, we all party and get told off by the neighbour for making too much noise at 4 in the morning when jumping into the pool, we share meals in and meals out and then when we go over to the UK we do it all again with them as hosts, except for the jumping in the pool at 4 in the morning bit. Mi casa es mi casa but we have a few rooms free for guests and we always get a good reception even when we do arrive on their doorstep at midnight soaked to the skin after riding through the british rain.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I think you must be prepared to say something, and not just seethe after they’ve gone. Bite the bullet and make them think about the situation.

There are always, as travelbug says, people who get ‘only the best’ for various reasons, but for the other tight wads (usually on very good money) unless there’s a tit for tat arrangement, they need to learn to be more considerate.

I tend to state the rules soon after arrival, along the lines of: ‘Can you throw in £50 towards this week’s shopping?’.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Get a small house or appartment and let them rent another close by.
Everyone sorted, everyone has their own space, but can still get together if wanted.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Get a small house or appartment and let them rent another close by.
Everyone sorted, everyone has their own space, but can still get together if wanted.

Nah jdr, I like my space around me too much to give it up.