Reload this Page >

Family of 5 living costs on the Costa Del sol

Family of 5 living costs on the Costa Del sol

Old Sep 7th 2019, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Dazcempa71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 5 living costs on the Costa Del sol

hi all

there are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 children aged 8, 9 and 16, I work from home and can move this income to Spain, (I do need a good strong fast internet) we lived there before (roughly 10yrs ago) but am wondering what the monthly cost is to live there again.
i understand we all have different ways of living, but just general really, we’ve found a 3 bed for €850pm and the children will attend Spanish school.

any help would be appreciated
Old Sep 7th 2019, 2:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 5 living costs on the Costa Del sol

Originally Posted by Dazcempa71
hi all

there are 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 children aged 8, 9 and 16, I work from home and can move this income to Spain, (I do need a good strong fast internet) we lived there before (roughly 10yrs ago) but am wondering what the monthly cost is to live there again.
i understand we all have different ways of living, but just general really, we’ve found a 3 bed for €850pm and the children will attend Spanish school.

any help would be appreciated
Hi, I actually live in France, so can't help on the cost-of-living front, but you've mentioned two aspects which are universal issues and should be researched for any country you'd like to move to.
Does your 16-year-old speak and write Spanish adequately to take (and pass) the Spanish "Bac"? If not, you should consider an International School in order not to disturb his education. The other two are young enough to pick up the language and general culture before going up to Secondary school.
If you're working from home, are you salaried with a UK employer, or self-employed? In either case you must set up and declare the proper employment status/business structure, for healthcare insurance and income tax.
HTH, even if I'm not in Spain!
Old Sep 7th 2019, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I actually live in France, so can't help on the cost-of-living front, but you've mentioned two aspects which are universal issues and should be researched for any country you'd like to move to.
Does your 16-year-old speak and write Spanish adequately to take (and pass) the Spanish "Bac"? If not, you should consider an International School in order not to disturb his education. The other two are young enough to pick up the language and general culture before going up to Secondary school.
If you're working from home, are you salaried with a UK employer, or self-employed? In either case you must set up and declare the proper employment status/business structure, for healthcare insurance and income tax.
HTH, even if I'm not in Spain!
thank you for your reply, my two youngest children will be the only ones at school as we are waiting until my daughter has finished her basic education before moving over, the entire family will also be having a least 8 months of Spanish lessons at home.

i am self employed and have access to my old accountants when I lived in Spain previously, so everything in that area will be arranged.

all points made were spot on and thanks again
Old Sep 7th 2019, 4:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Some items are more expensive e.g. internet and others are much cheaper than UK.
If you budget on the same expenditure as you currently have in the UK, then you will not be far off.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Hi,
Some items are more expensive e.g. internet and others are much cheaper than UK.
If you budget on the same expenditure as you currently have in the UK, then you will not be far off.
thank you sounds fair
Old Sep 8th 2019, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Even 8 and 9 (9 and ten when you arrive?) won't find it easy to learn Spanish from scratch but should catch up in the end, it may be they get held back a year or so before moving on. Will the eldest stay in the UK for higher education/university? With no language skills she won't be able to go into higher education or get a job.

Overall your UK cost of living budget will be around the same in Spain. Booze and smokes are still cheap but food costs are much the same as the UK, in fact these days you typically get a better range of food in the UK and often at cheaper prices.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Even 8 and 9 (9 and ten when you arrive?) won't find it easy to learn Spanish from scratch but should catch up in the end, it may be they get held back a year or so before moving on. Will the eldest stay in the UK for higher education/university? With no language skills she won't be able to go into higher education or get a job.

Overall your UK cost of living budget will be around the same in Spain. Booze and smokes are still cheap but food costs are much the same as the UK, in fact these days you typically get a better range of food in the UK and often at cheaper prices.
appreciate the feedback, I lived and worked in Spain for 4 years and had 3 jobs all without speaking any spanish at all, so the work / job side for my children isn’t a concern although they all will be learning Spanish before we go and also whilst we live there.

thank you for the cost of living information
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I wish your children good luck, there is mass youth unemployment in Spain with no sign of it improving anytime soon.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 9:24 am
Just Joined

I wish your children good luck, there is mass youth unemployment in Spain with no sign of it improving anytime soon.
thank you, basically my business relies purely on the internet, I’ve been teaching them for
many years what I do and they can comfortably do it part time and make a good living....

so employment in Spain isn’t a requirement

but that again
Old Sep 8th 2019, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

But they'll continue with higher education? No use putting all your eggs in one basket
Old Sep 8th 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

But they'll continue with higher education? No use putting all your eggs in one basket
we aren’t big believers or fans of higher education (actually the entire educational institution) unless a specific subject is required, ie Law, Doctors etc but it’s not for us to be honest
Old Sep 8th 2019, 3:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazcempa71

we aren’t big believers or fans of higher education (actually the entire educational institution) unless a specific subject is required, ie Law, Doctors etc but it’s not for us to be honest
You may find that your two younger children will like the Spanish Education System (it must be completely different from that in the UK), and might actually want to be like their Spanish friends and take the Bac and even go on to higher education. You can't decide their future at this stage.... To give an idea of the importance of the Bac (or A-level equivalent) on the Continent, the employees of the home-help Agency which I use, must have the French Bac. A candidate for building work is more likely to be accepted by a prospective employer if he has a Vocational Bac. Without diplomas, there's a bleak future for young people, even if your children are destined to follow in your footsteps. Maybe your eldest child is old enough to do what you do, but her social life will be very limited by being stuck at home, and you should check the Spanish Legislation regarding the Employment of Minors - your accountant will be able to advise....
HTH
Old Sep 8th 2019, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
You may find that your two younger children will like the Spanish Education System (it must be completely different from that in the UK), and might actually want to be like their Spanish friends and take the Bac and even go on to higher education. You can't decide their future at this stage.... To give an idea of the importance of the Bac (or A-level equivalent) on the Continent, the employees of the home-help Agency which I use, must have the French Bac. A candidate for building work is more likely to be accepted by a prospective employer if he has a Vocational Bac. Without diplomas, there's a bleak future for young people, even if your children are destined to follow in your footsteps. Maybe your eldest child is old enough to do what you do, but her social life will be very limited by being stuck at home, and you should check the Spanish Legislation regarding the Employment of Minors - your accountant will be able to advise....
HTH
I do appreciate all the advice but I also feel very preached to on how to raise my children, their future is in their hands, they follow their own path and as I’ve stated before we have lived their before and are actually only asking about the cost of living.....nothing more

thank you for your help so far
Old Sep 8th 2019, 4:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It may turn out to be a very stony path if they have a poor education.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
It may turn out to be a very stony path if they have a poor education.
They WILL have Spanish education, they will be attending school, that was never the question / conversation at no stage did I ever mention they wouldn’t be going to school, we have ALL of that covered and it has been investigated thoroughly for all of my children.

the question and conversation was “the cost of living”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.