Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fall in English-speaking jobs since Brexit Referendum

Fall in English-speaking jobs since Brexit Referendum

Old May 18th 2020, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137 
Default Fall in English-speaking jobs since Brexit Referendum

Hi,

I've been in Spain for more years than I'd really like to remember, and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, or it's related to regions I've lived in recently, or it's just my imagination.

I feel there has been a sharp drop in English-speaking jobs since the Brexit Referendum. Tongue-in-cheek explanation but I think it holds true:
What used to be a job requirement for 'English + another European language' metamorphosed overnight into 'any European languages except for English which is suddenly irrelevant for the selection process'.

Could that possibly be 'hostile environment' political/business playbook stuff, so those of us who do want to reside in Europe are 'punished' or made to feel unwelcome for a decision that - like the result or not - is a country's right and won't 'punish' those who don't want to reside in Europe. Like slapping the person to your left because the person to your right disagrees with you?

As I say, I'm perplexed, but if it looks like dirt, smells like dirt, feels like dirt, surely it is dirt.
Old May 18th 2020, 8:31 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fall in English-speaking jobs since Brexit Referendum

Hola,

Just today a took a friend to the clinic and when they came out, they were amazed as the nurse insisted on speaking English as she needed to practice. I explained that everyone need an English qualification to get a job these days so of course they want to improve their English.

Davexf
Old May 19th 2020, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137  scrubbedexpat137 

Hi Dave,

Yes, Spanish people like to and need to practice their English, and good for them.

I meant in the sense that English seems to have become less of a main asset for foreign jobseekers whereas virtually all the other European languages and often e.g. Urdu, Hindi, Swahili are also becoming an important language skill over English.

For the average Brit who may only speak English, and hopefully at least some Spanish, this makes job-hunting much harder than it was say three years ago, even for very badly-paid online bit work (I loathe the term 'gig economy' - it gives a sense of rock 'n' roll to trashy, exploitative, dead-end jobs), and to a degree, pushes them out onto the fringes of the labour market in a country where work is hard to come by to begin with. Maybe coastal and other touristic areas do not have this problem and jobseeking is much easier for Brits.
Old May 19th 2020, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Everyone speaks English anyway." That was always a myth and perhaps people are now waking up to that reality.
Old May 19th 2020, 8:02 am
Account Closed

Hi,

Originally Posted by scot47
"Everyone speaks English anyway." That was always a myth and perhaps people are now waking up to that reality.
You make a really good point with that observation, thanks. Not all of us have grown up with that attitude, but the seeming lack of interest in language learning is something that has always let us Brits down abroad and it looks kind of rude to those from the host country, perhaps.

Great comment, scot47, thanks.
Old May 19th 2020, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The EU Commission still conducts some of its business in English. English is a well used language along with Mandarin and Spanish.
Old May 19th 2020, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly all international business is conducted in English. Anybody in a Spanish company who needs to talk to someone else outside Spain will do it in English, unless it's another Spanish speaking country. This especially holds true with the EU, where there are plenty of multinational companies, all using English to communicate internally. English has become the lingua franca of the business world, and that's got very little to do with the UK being part of the EU or not. In fact it's got very little to do with the UK at all these days. I suspect the UK could sink into the see tomorrow and English would still be the lingua franca. People don't learn English because they want to talk to people from the UK. They learn English so they can talk to people from practically anywhere in the world.
Old May 20th 2020, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Hi,

Interesting points you guys make. The language of commerce and diplomacy, and so on.
Old May 21st 2020, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chopera
Nearly all international business is conducted in English. Anybody in a Spanish company who needs to talk to someone else outside Spain will do it in English, unless it's another Spanish speaking country. This especially holds true with the EU, where there are plenty of multinational companies, all using English to communicate internally. English has become the lingua franca of the business world, and that's got very little to do with the UK being part of the EU or not. In fact it's got very little to do with the UK at all these days. I suspect the UK could sink into the see tomorrow and English would still be the lingua franca. People don't learn English because they want to talk to people from the UK. They learn English so they can talk to people from practically anywhere in the world.
Exactly.