Faith healing

Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faith healing

The problems with faith healing/spiritualism are the charlatans but there is another side to it. If, and it is a big if one can involve oneself with true believers, and they do exist, they can be the most helpful people that one can meet. My Mother did become involved with a group, they helped one another with anything and everything and many people were helped with the "laying on hands" etc. Let me just say that I do not believe in it at all and I was seriously worried for my Mother but after many, many years there was never a problem no money changing hands in fact to my Mother it was more a get together with a group of friends.
This is becoming long winded, what I am trying to say is does it work? Is it a placebo effect? Is it all in the mind? The point being if it positively affects a persons life who am I to call it utter rubbish, all that matters is that it works for the person involved.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 29th 2011 at 3:39 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

I'm totally unsure about the subject of religion, but fail to see how different people can have different Gods, and if there was only one God I might go to church more often.

I also believe that my little dog can smell bad people, he's never been wrong.
On the subject of religion I am agnostic, I do not believe that there is a God, I was brought up to rely on evidence not faith. The problem with being an atheist is diametrically opposed to belief and that is that there is no evidence to disbelieve in God. So I will sit on the fence with this one. If I may just say I would love there to be a God.
Your comment about your dog I agree with and not only about bad people, they seem to have an inherrent knowledge of a person that we can only guess at.
Out of interest dogs love Rosemary and guess who is allergic to fur, comes out in a lovely rash after a few minutes.

Graham
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:45 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The huge problem is that people make their gods in their own image, with human emotions like spite, jealousy and revenge.

There may be a god. There may be gods, and then again there may be none.

I believe there may be, but if they are, I would think them the product of the universe rather than its creator.

Plus it all depends on your definition of what a god is.

The idea that there is an entity that so lacks in empathy that it would a) meddle in the world, and b) have a private torture chamber for all those who failed to worship it correctly is to me quite inconceivable.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by bil
The huge problem is that people make their gods in their own image, with human emotions like spite, jealousy and revenge.

I believe there may be, but if they are, I would think them the product of the universe rather than its creator.

The idea that there is an entity that so lacks in empathy that it would a) meddle in the world, and b) have a private torture chamber for all those who failed to worship it correctly is to me quite inconceivable.
Agree 110%

Graham
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:02 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Is this, or is it not the most ridiculous proposition that if there were a god, it would actually answer prayers?

I mean, the average religious dipshit stands there with a list of requests, and actually thinks that god would alter things to do what a mere human wanted?

These people can't actually have any damn brains, can they?
Old Apr 29th 2011, 4:07 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
The problems with faith healing/spiritualism are the charlatans but there is another side to it. If, and it is a big if one can involve oneself with true believers, and they do exist, they can be the most helpful people that one can meet. My Mother did become involved with a group, they helped one another with anything and everything and many people were helped with the "laying on hands" etc. Let me just say that I do not believe in it at all and I was seriously worried for my Mother but after many, many years there was never a problem no money changing hands in fact to my Mother it was more a get together with a group of friends.
This is becoming long winded, what I am trying to say is does it work? Is it a placebo effect? Is it all in the mind? The point being if it positively affects a persons life who am I to call it utter rubbish, all that matters is that it works for the person involved.

Graham
Many practices seem harmless: Reflexology is a foot massage, how can that hurt? Homeopathic remedies contain nothing so can neither hurt nor harm. The problem with all this is that the deluded believer can be diverted from proper medicine. It happens frequently and often has tragic outcomes.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

It is not only the physical effects of quack therapy that hurts, its the financial effect. What's worse most of these frauds are legal, and some are even backed by the NHS
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As the human herd stumbles through life, some stragglers lose their way, in the same way as not all the Wildebeest manage to cross the river, the crocodiles get a few of them.

Give the lost ones access to computers, and they have a voice, apart from the herd, and I suspect that all they do is complain, because they're lost – waiting for the big croc to end their suffering.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Many practices seem harmless: Reflexology is a foot massage, how can that hurt? Homeopathic remedies contain nothing so can neither hurt nor harm. The problem with all this is that the deluded believer can be diverted from proper medicine. It happens frequently and often has tragic outcomes.
It depends what you call 'proper medicine'. There is a bill going through European court at the moment to try to outlaw Herbal medicines. Herbal medicines are foods. 'Diet supplements' if you like. Some of them are really good for you in the right doses. Many years ago I got over a period of post natal anxiety by using passiflora and vitamin B instead of the Ativan my doctor (at the time) wanted to give me. I got to know through helping on a helpline, a lot of people who took Ativan...and many other even worse drugs. I (and others who used similar nutritional methods)got better...those who took the stronger drugs generally didn't.
More recently I've used a herb called Agnus castus for distressing symptoms caused by the menopause with real success. If I went to the doctor he'd probably give me HRT... Much more dangerous than at first thought.
Statins. The wonder drug of recent years is now getting a reputation for questionable benefits and over prescribing and even worse.
Also....
If they'd outlawed the production/use of new herbal medicines before Willow bark started being used we'd never have had Aspirin! It's all about common sense. Trouble is the Pharmaceutical companies have a stake in this. Where there's money... There's a con. whether it be as small as one 'healer' ripping off an old lady...or powerful money removing our right to heal ourselves by buying healthy herbal food supplements. While creating a new money making Fad for a more dangerous drug.
Grrrr Pass me the Passiflora I'm getting wound up!
Old Apr 30th 2011, 6:13 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
It depends what you call 'proper medicine'. There is a bill going through European court at the moment to try to outlaw Herbal medicines. Herbal medicines are foods. 'Diet supplements' if you like. Some of them are really good for you in the right doses. Many years ago I got over a period of post natal anxiety by using passiflora and vitamin B instead of the Ativan my doctor (at the time) wanted to give me. I got to know through helping on a helpline, a lot of people who took Ativan...and many other even worse drugs. I (and others who used similar nutritional methods)got better...those who took the stronger drugs generally didn't.
More recently I've used a herb called Agnus castus for distressing symptoms caused by the menopause with real success. If I went to the doctor he'd probably give me HRT... Much more dangerous than at first thought.
Statins. The wonder drug of recent years is now getting a reputation for questionable benefits and over prescribing and even worse.
Also....
If they'd outlawed the production/use of new herbal medicines before Willow bark started being used we'd never have had Aspirin! It's all about common sense. Trouble is the Pharmaceutical companies have a stake in this. Where there's money... There's a con. whether it be as small as one 'healer' ripping off an old lady...or powerful money removing our right to heal ourselves by buying healthy herbal food supplements. While creating a new money making Fad for a more dangerous drug.
Grrrr Pass me the Passiflora I'm getting wound up!

My dear, common sense? You HAVE to be kidding.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:20 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

You all know that our Great Leader David Ike is watching and he will judge you on the final Day because of your blasphemy right?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

It is because of modern medicine, not herbal medicine, that we are all living so long. Not that that is necessarily a good thing...
Old May 1st 2011, 7:35 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by angiescarr
There is a bill going through European court at the moment to try to outlaw Herbal medicines.
It becomes law today apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...mes-force.html

Patients have lost access to hundreds of herbal medicines today, after European regulations came into force.
Sales of all herbal remedies, except for a small number of popular products for 'mild' illness such as echinacea for colds and St John's Wort for depression have been banned.
For the first time traditional products must be licensed or prescribed by a registered herbal practitioner.
I am against this. Herbal remedies will become 'licensed' but with no evidence of efficacy whatever. It will give these products a thin veneer of false respectability. People will believe that they work because they have been licensed. They will be wrong.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

There is a very good podcast about alternative medicine on The Guardian site:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/au...weekly.podcast
Old May 1st 2011, 9:07 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

I think the problem many religious ppl.have in accepting the scientific theory, is what came before the big bang and what was it's origin ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.