Faith

Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faith

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I was listening to the radio today and it was talking about the study done onto kiddie fiddling by profession that was done in the states, it showed that not only were Catholic priests at the bottom of that list but also that Protestant ministers are far more likely, by about 5-1 to abuse kids.

I think the thing thats pissed people off more is the systematic cover up thats been going on for well over 100 years!
There has been a long running cover-uo, so we do not know the number of kiddie-fiddling priests.
The stats you refer to could just be evidence of the success of the cover-up.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

I was listening to the radio today and it was talking about the study done onto kiddie fiddling by profession that was done in the states, it showed that not only were Catholic priests at the bottom of that list but also that Protestant ministers are far more likely, by about 5-1 to abuse kids.

I think the thing thats pissed people off more is the systematic cover up thats been going on for well over 100 years!

Could it be merely the tip of the iceberg?

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2010/0...rnational.html
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:44 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There has been a long running cover-uo, so we do not know the number of kiddie-fiddling priests.
The stats you refer to could just be evidence of the success of the cover-up.
Originally Posted by CelticRover
Could it be merely the tip of the iceberg?

http://bsnorrell.blogspot.com/2010/0...rnational.html
Absolutely and I do accept that the nature of a cover up means that things have been covered up, I just ask if the frenzy over this is more to do with the way its been covered up rather than the actual amount of children involved.

(Disclaimer, I am not now, nor ever have defending anything the Catholic faith has ever done, I never have, I am simply asking a question!)
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I read this week the the "lovable" Cyril Smith was accused various time of fumbling and a fondness for smacking young boys. Despite this not one of the national papers mentioned it at the time Seems to me this world is ruled by perverts and despots. The Popes vist should have read...

"A 77 year old man who likes wearing long frocks today said the UK was like the third world. His Boss, the leader of the largest pedeophile ring in the world and also wears long frocks decided to go ahead with the visit as he thinks there are a lot of like minded nazis in the UK"
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely and I do accept that the nature of a cover up means that things have been covered up, I just ask if the frenzy over this is more to do with the way its been covered up rather than the actual amount of children involved.

(Disclaimer, I am not now, nor ever have defending anything the Catholic faith has ever done, I never have, I am simply asking a question!)
If they would have gotten their house in good order after the earlier stories, and gone in to rehab, then your probably right, that it would not have angered people as much as it has. Its partly the drip, drip, one country and one diocese after another. It just communicated the message that, at best, they did not really care. They should have spoken to a PR expert.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:52 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I accept that there are paedo priests in all religions.

The fact is that those wrto catholic priests are frighteningly prevalent. It's not just the priests, the monks and nuns have previous for serious abuse, physical, sexual and mental against vulnerable children in their care. In addition, the church's attitude to all this has been dismissive, hostile to the victims and they have done their utmost to drag their feet and ignore the recommendations of the Nolan report.

In addition, the current pope wrote the papal bull that states that anyone who grasses a paedo priest will be excommunicated.

Not the priest, mark you, but the person who tries to bring it to the authorities. This is a completely cynical abuse of power.

As I have always said, if you know someone is a kiddy fiddler, and you do nothing, you are guilty of a serious offence, plus in my eyes you are then 100% to blame for ever offence they commit afterwards, as guilty as tho you had held the child down while the paedo raped it.

The pope knows it goes on, and has done nothing that will realistically even discourage priests from abusing children.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It’s incredibly sad that this has gone on for so long, hundreds of years, with millions of broken people being ignored, even now. Our law enforcers have failed, because they fall on their knees in the same places of worship where such a disproportionate number of paedos prevail.

I don’t know the answer, but I don’t frequent those places where evil masquerades as religion. Surely the leaders of those religions could simply come out and state publically that all of their priests or whatever will face criminal courts if they dare to interfere with a child?

Half apologies, many years too late, aren’t good enough.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s incredibly sad that this has gone on for so long, hundreds of years, with millions of broken people being ignored, even now. Our law enforcers have failed, because they fall on their knees in the same places of worship where such a disproportionate number of paedos prevail.

I don’t know the answer, but I don’t frequent those places where evil masquerades as religion. Surely the leaders of those religions could simply come out and state publically that all of their priests or whatever will face criminal courts if they dare to interfere with a child?

Half apologies, many years too late, aren’t good enough.

You are so right. It is a deeply disgusting affront to civilised peoples that a major religion should act in such a hypocritical fashion.

Mind you, the church has always been about oppression, power and the control of people at any price.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

If they would have gotten their house in good order after the earlier stories, and gone in to rehab, then your probably right, that it would not have angered people as much as it has. Its partly the drip, drip, one country and one diocese after another. It just communicated the message that, at best, they did not really care. They should have spoken to a PR expert.
Oh don't get me wrong, this is brilliant, its what they needed, what they have done in the last couple of thousand years is reprehensible, we could open a whole new thread on the Catholic Church and the damage they have done to society............ but as many on here know, I am definitely not an atheist, religion has a place in many places and many people and I have seen first hand what its done to people and for the good, but this whole mess is only going to be good for a few groups of people... extremists in particular.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:07 pm
bil
Banned

Oh don't get me wrong, this is brilliant, its what they needed, what they have done in the last couple of thousand years is reprehensible, we could open a whole new thread on the Catholic Church and the damage they have done to society............ but as many on here know, I am definitely not an atheist, religion has a place in many places and many people and I have seen first hand what its done to people and for the good, but this whole mess is only going to be good for a few groups of people... extremists in particular.
As I always say tho, when you compare the goosd it does against the bad, there is the perfect biblical quote.

'Weighed, measured, and found wanting.'
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately it is not just the Roman Catholic Church.

The Church of England has and has had perverts in the clergy. Its just dealt with differently.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:21 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Unfortunately it is not just the Roman Catholic Church.

The Church of England has and has had perverts in the clergy. Its just dealt with differently.
.... as has the teaching profession, doctors, care assistants, nursery workers, scouts.... you name it, they are there. My point is, why are we so fixated on Christianity?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:45 pm
He/him

.... as has the teaching profession, doctors, care assistants, nursery workers, scouts.... you name it, they are there. My point is, why are we so fixated on Christianity?
Its Institutional.....I think that is the difference

a teacher might fiddle about, but the profession (as a rule) tries to boot them out and get the police involved. The perp is shunned.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Its Institutional.....I think that is the difference

a teacher might fiddle about, but the profession (as a rule) tries to boot them out and get the police involved. The perp is shunned.

When any large organization chooses coverup versus openness and correction in a scandal, the story usually takes on a life of its own, and this is what actually has happened today with many religions including catholic, over the past 100 years or more.

Example:

http://christianchildabuse.blogspot....logize-to.html
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:20 pm
bil
Banned

Because they are in a position of trust. Becuase they tell you how you should behave. Because they tell you you will go to hell if you so much as have a knuckle shuffle. Because their actions are so at odds with the message of their faith. Because they don't apologise. Because they don't do anything for the victims. Because they don't address the problem. Because they are in denial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.