Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

Old Mar 18th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

Hi, has anyone experience of this company - https://www.doyouspain.com/

I was quoted for a week in June only 2 euros a day for a small car hired from Malaga airport.
Sure the deposit held on a credit card is high, but with third-party car hire insurance this just sounds too good to be true.

Looking at uk airports the price is ten times that.

Concerned that I might book with these people and then get stung at the point of collection.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 8:26 am
Just Joined

paulven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

I've used them three or four times from Malaga Airport and never had a problem with them. The last time was in January 26 euros for 15 days, I buy my own excess insurance for about £40 a year. The company I usually get the car from is Marbesol, their office is just down the road from the Airport and there is a courtesy bus. I've never yet got the car I've ordered but always an equivalent or better one. In January I ordered a Fiat Panda and got a Volkswagen Polo.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Do you spain are a broker. I use them all the time for my car hire from Valencia airport.
The terms of hire are the car hire company that you choose from DYS's list.
Generally the add-ons include a credit card fee and service charge. Some Co's also operate a full to empty policy.
On my last hire in February for 5 days I pre-paid the hire, so the amount I paid when I picked up the car are all the add-ons. I hold an annual insurance policy for the excess amount.

Credit card charge 3.30
Service charge 13.94
Fuel 35.74
VAT 11.13

All in all still good value.

The only thing that I have given up trying to resolve is that I am charged in euro's and the hirer converts to sterling before it hits my cc, so that costs a few extra euros.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Hi, has anyone experience of this company - https://www.doyouspain.com/

I was quoted for a week in June only 2 euros a day for a small car hired from Malaga airport.
Sure the deposit held on a credit card is high, but with third-party car hire insurance this just sounds too good to be true.

Looking at uk airports the price is ten times that.

Concerned that I might book with these people and then get stung at the point of collection.
A friend of mine got a similar deal from Alicante airport

I will use them next time I want long term car hire.

OP, keep us up to date please.

Steve
Old Mar 18th 2016, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

You will get these sort of deals during the low season months. As you say with your own excess insurance very good, most though will have a higher security deposit held on your card if not taking their extra insurance. Some of the hire company's can be quite aggressive re trying to sell their extra insurance I found record to be one of the worst. Fuel of course can be quite an addition and worth checking the policy of the hirer. For long term hire you often have to return the car after 28 or 30 days and then sign possibly the same car out! Again worth checking policy of hirer.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Pivobelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulven
I've used them three or four times from Malaga Airport and never had a problem with them. The last time was in January 26 euros for 15 days, I buy my own excess insurance for about £40 a year. The company I usually get the car from is Marbesol, their office is just down the road from the Airport and there is a courtesy bus. I've never yet got the car I've ordered but always an equivalent or better one. In January I ordered a Fiat Panda and got a Volkswagen Polo.
Hello Paulven, I'm planning a car rental 3 or 4 times this year & would appreciate if you could recommend an insurance Co for an annual excess policy. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 20th 2016, 6:22 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Unusual praise for this company.

Doyouspain has previously had a very bad reputation for brokering hires out to dodgy outfits who, amongst other things, at the time you arrive at the hire desk, demand you buy their own insurance at astronomical rates (regardless if you bought insurance when booking it), forcing full/empty fuel policy (paying €100-€120 for a €50 tank of fuel), and lastly, charging your card hundreds for nonexistent damages days after you've returned it a flown elsewhere far away. But the most notorious is that whatever dodgy charges the car hire adds on, doyouspain assumes no responsibility whatsoever.

At least those have been the usual complaints.

Don't take my word for it. Search "doyouspain" on TripAdvisor. The negative comments are prolific.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Doyouspain is a brokerage. Before you press the "buy" button check out on Tripadvisor the actual car hire firm from which you will be renting. If it is Firefly please inform me and I will include you in my prayers.

Don't forget. Check Tripadvisor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
Doyouspain is a brokerage. Before you press the "buy" button check out on Tripadvisor the actual car hire firm from which you will be renting. If it is Firefly please inform me and I will include you in my prayers.

Don't forget. Check Tripadvisor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
I have used Firefly from Valencia airport many times and have had no problems with them.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pivobelly
Hello Paulven, I'm planning a car rental 3 or 4 times this year & would appreciate if you could recommend an insurance Co for an annual excess policy. Thanks in advance.
Hi,
The firm that I used for annual excess insurance was Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com
They charged me £39.99 for a year.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulven
Hi,
The firm that I used for annual excess insurance was Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com
They charged me £39.99 for a year.
I use the same co. and have just renewed. Made one claim last year and it was dealt with promptly.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amideislas
Unusual praise for this company.

Doyouspain has previously had a very bad reputation for brokering hires out to dodgy outfits who, amongst other things, at the time you arrive at the hire desk, demand you buy their own insurance at astronomical rates (regardless if you bought insurance when booking it), forcing full/empty fuel policy (paying €100-€120 for a €50 tank of fuel), and lastly, charging your card hundreds for nonexistent damages days after you've returned it a flown elsewhere far away. But the most notorious is that whatever dodgy charges the car hire adds on, doyouspain assumes no responsibility whatsoever.

At least those have been the usual complaints.

Don't take my word for it. Search "doyouspain" on TripAdvisor. The negative comments are prolific.
I think that you just have to take as you find. I've used "Do You Spain" several times without any problem and never had any kind of charge for damage. It probably depends on the car hire firm used and I've always used Marbesol because they happened to be the cheapest for what I wanted at the time.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used many different sites they are all brokers at the end of the day. I have used doyouspain and had some good deals with realy good hire companies and yes some where they try and pressurise you into extra insurance etc. On their site though you should be able to check what specific fuel poilcy individual hirers have etc. Just about all hirers will offer extra insurance at the desk for tyres roof glass underneath etc. Some are more insistent than others and it realy does come down to what risk you are prepared to take! I used to take the car hire excess for £39 per year never had to claim on it and many hirers will still try the hard sell of their more expensive extra insurance. I once thought I would have to use it as I had put quite a nasty scrape on the front wing of a near new car. However when I showed them this on returning the car (I had phoned to inform them I had damaged car) I was told oh that is nothing! And is covered by the normal insurance. I actually made that hire through dooyouspain. They offer cars from many hirers so yes do the research re individual hirers before booking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.