Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Exterminate... (More houses demolished)

Exterminate... (More houses demolished)

Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exterminate... (More houses demolished)

Originally Posted by rspltd
I see nothing about a house being demolished.
Or people left destitute on the street
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Zee German couple in zee Cotswolds would disagree.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
Zee German couple in zee Cotswolds would disagree.
Link?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

The AUAN is an active organisation in Almería, joined up with SOHA in Málaga and the AUN in Valencia (which concentrates more on 'land grab'). See their sites for updates (they were together this week in the Senate in Madrid reporting on the difficulties of the home-owners: losing their houses without compensation).
Helen and Len Prior, from Vera in Almería, have been living in their garage since their house was demolished seven years ago (January 9th 2008). I was having coffee with three local funcionarios from the Catastro just this morning. One of them thought the Prior's house was legal, another disagreed...
Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I read recently that another 17 houses have been condemned. How awful!

Costa News - More demolition gloom in Cantoria
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:03 am
Just Joined

lostdirection is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for this thread. I am in the initial stages of planning a move to Spain in a couple of years time as my partner wants to retire somewhere sunny. We have already had our fingers well and truly burned by leaving the UK and moving to NZ. Now its a move to Oz for a couple of years before settling into retirement. It is refreshing to find a forum where people can speak the truth as we newbies genuinely need to hear the facts to enable us to make informed choices.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lostdirection
as my partner wants to retire somewhere sunny.
It's sunny in NZ when it's not raining

Clean green NZ
Old Dec 27th 2014, 10:36 am
Just Joined

lostdirection is an unknown quantity at this point

I see you are familiar with our clean green hype in the land of the long white shroud.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lostdirection
I see you are familiar with our clean green hype in the land of the long white shroud.
Yes

It's clean because it gets washed so often

It's green because there is an abundance of water for the plants.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Redr0bb0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all- newbie here

We are really close to making the final decision to relocate to Almeria. We fancy an established build in a town- something like an old terrace or cortijo.

Reading about the horrendous things that have happened to other expats with new build properties I am confident that we wouldn't be demolished (at least I would hope not!) but I wondered if there was any simmering animosity between expats and locals because of this ridiculous, tragic and unjust situation.

Thanks

Last edited by Redr0bb0; Jan 31st 2015 at 10:29 am.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's tragic and I wouldn't want to be in their situation, but many people are now aware of the pitfalls, or at least know the areas to avoid. Of course you never have a 100% guarantee in life, but things can happen when you rent too.
We are considering renting, any potential pitfalls would be appreciated. I realise that the landlord may appropriate our deposit (this could be possibly be dealt with)) and provided that the contract is okay, is there anything else that could go wrong?
Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 1:27 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
That depends on the region and I've never heard of problems where we are. There are also plenty of Brits who just bought without checking the deeds, never used a lawyer, or just used a lawyer who wasn't actually a lawyer. Doing your homework is essential and the chances of getting ripped off are minimal.
I agree fully with that sentiment.

But I'd point out that the higher potential not only to be swindled, but to be left without any relief, is something that is far less likely in most of the rest of Europe, let alone in the UK, and to presume that because it doesn't happen elsewhere, that it can't happen to you here, is something that all expats need to be especially vigilant of.

Spain has an especially high number of so-called "illegal" properties, and the definition of what is "illegal" is oft left to the eyes of whatever bureaucrat sits in the chair that day, not necessarily on the basis of legal documentation. Add to that the historical propensity for nepotism, and the risks are even further elevated.

There are numerous examples of where build permits were indeed legally issued, but later, some bureaucrat decided that permit was not legal for whatever reason, and it's the current owners who are victimised with the consequences, not those who are actually responsible.

I for one, find it completely deplorable that eviction and "demolition" without any compensation, rather than sensible compromise with a path to "legalisation" could ever be considered an appropriate solution, nor that it ever benefits anyone (except for perhaps a developer who simply wants the property for their own self-serving interests, or to protect the political status quo).
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

concerned 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all does anyone have a opinion or tips does or dont's about buying in the Albox area thankyou
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

You are kidding right ? Concerned 1? read the local forum for Albox, join and read the website of AUAN. You will be a lot more informed then as to whether you want to buy in the area.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I agree fully with that sentiment.

But I'd point out that the higher potential not only to be swindled, but to be left without any relief, is something that is far less likely in most of the rest of Europe, let alone in the UK, and to presume that because it doesn't happen elsewhere, that it can't happen to you here, is something that all expats need to be especially vigilant of.

Spain has an especially high number of so-called "illegal" properties, and the definition of what is "illegal" is oft left to the eyes of whatever bureaucrat sits in the chair that day, not necessarily on the basis of legal documentation. Add to that the historical propensity for nepotism, and the risks are even further elevated.

There are numerous examples of where build permits were indeed legally issued, but later, some bureaucrat decided that permit was not legal for whatever reason, and it's the current owners who are victimised with the consequences, not those who are actually responsible.

I for one, find it completely deplorable that eviction and "demolition" without any compensation, rather than sensible compromise with a path to "legalisation" could ever be considered an appropriate solution, nor that it ever benefits anyone (except for perhaps a developer who simply wants the property for their own self-serving interests, or to protect the political status quo).
I meant regions in Spain. In Girona (Costa Brava) where we own a place, I've never heard anything. It seems to be more in the South of Spain, but then again it's probably because more Brits buy there. Of course there are always cases were things were legal and things went wrong, but the majority of Brits who bought in Spain never used a solicitor. Funny enough, they would in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.