Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

extended holiday in spain

extended holiday in spain

Old Jul 25th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute
Default extended holiday in spain

we are looking into the possibily of spending 9-12 months in spain to see if we would like to live there. There are a few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me: I read on a thread that if you live in spain over 6 months you are classed as a resident, is this true, what happens if you just want to spend 1 year as a visitor? Also we would be taking our car with us, after 6 months would we have any trouble with the spanish authorities? as we would not want to re register the car in spain until we were sure we would be moving over permanently. Any other information would be appreciated regarding health cover ect: thanks in anticipation
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:00 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: extended holiday in spain

Are you going to be working... or do you have school age kids. If not I wouldn't worry too much. But if you are/do then you are going to need to register for an NIE and with your local townhall.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Are you going to be working... or do you have school age kids. If not I wouldn't worry too much. But if you are/do then you are going to need to register for an NIE and with your local townhall.
no we are retired, and no children all grown now, this sounds better, as I read after 6 months you automatically became a resident, and we could have
problems with a uk reg car:
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:32 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I read after 6 months you automatically became a resident, and we could have problems with a uk reg car:
Nothing is automatic in Spain, it's always the product of waiting in the queue at some public office or other. Anyway, what I am getting at is, even if bureaucracy may require certain things, if you are maintaining a UK residence, don't intend to work in Spain or send kids to school you are pretty much cruising below the radar. On the other hand, if you are a worrier, you will get straight down the foreigners office and ask for an NIE and green certificate and register in the townhall census. Oh, and have your British register car converted onto Spanish plates before 183 days expires. The question really is are you a worrier.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

you cant legally drive a uk reg car in another country for more than 180 days (6 months) in any 1 year (360 day) period.

but alot of people do.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nothing is automatic in Spain, it's always the product of waiting in the queue at some public office or other. Anyway, what I am getting at is, even if bureaucracy may require certain things, if you are maintaining a UK residence, don't intend to work in Spain or send kids to school you are pretty much cruising below the radar. On the other hand, if you are a worrier, you will get straight down the foreigners office and ask for an NIE and green certificate and register in the townhall census. Oh, and have your British register car converted onto Spanish plates before 183 days expires. The question really is are you a worrier.
I am a bit of a worrier, do you think if you said you were only on holiday for a year they would turn a blind eye?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you cant legally drive a uk reg car in another country for more than 180 days (6 months) in any 1 year (360 day) period.

but alot of people do.
what do they do if you are caught? do they really come down on you? the spanish police are a bit stern are'nt they?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dgjamison
what do they do if you are caught? do they really come down on you? the spanish police are a bit stern are'nt they?
How are you going to get caught? Do you really think the police would waste resources monitoring your driving habits?
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I would also worry about car insurance
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

How are you going to get caught? Do you really think the police would waste resources monitoring your driving habits?
I know I sound stupid now, but i am a bit of a worrier, the insurance thing though is something I would have to look at, cheers
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
thanks never thought of that, will have to look into that
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:44 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Saga will insure you to drive outside the UK for the full 12 months of the policy.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

expat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the rough

Personally I wouldn't want to chance it but I am sure thousands do!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Worrying is not the problem, it is illegal not to do the things you mention if he is in Spain for more than 3 months.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They do round here quite regular, and lots of vehicles have been impounded til the paperwork is sorted and the fines been paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.