Expat Land

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Land

I'm lost, did the OP start this thread specifically to facilitate a bitch fest or have I completely misunderstood the intention?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Grotty old Benalmádena, or somewhere down there. And he wonders why none of his football mates speak Spanish. He's thinks he's the only Englishman that ever spoke Spanish. I think my friend's 17 year old son could lose him when it comes to speaking Spanish. He has only Spanish friends, spends his holidays/weekends with their families, is the only foreigner in the town band, studies music at the conservatoire in Granada, in short, he leads a totally Spanish speaking life outside of home. And he doesn't live anywhere near Benalmádena.
Good for your friend's 17 year old son. Though dont think he could "lose" me. I still make grammatical mistakes, but my Spanish is at a level where I understand and can converse with everyone. And is good enough to work in a Spanish working enviroment.

Benalmadena Costa is horrible and grotty, but I fail to see what is so grotty about the Pueblo. I was very impressed, I was expecting much worse when we moved here!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:07 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Romanians and Morroccans employed on the CDS. All working in bars and restaurants for about 4 euro per hour As a spaniard told me you get two workers for the price of one. The Spanish won't consider employing foreigners in proper jobs. Infact even a lot of spanish can't get access to a decent job because of enchufismo!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:09 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Good for your friend's 17 year old son. Though dont think he could "lose" me. I still make grammatical mistakes, but my Spanish is at a level where I understand and can converse with everyone. And is good enough to work in a Spanish working enviroment.

Benalmadena Costa is horrible and grotty, but I fail to see what is so grotty about the Pueblo. I was very impressed, I was expecting much worse when we moved here!
Benalmadena Costa, in fact a lot of the Spanish costas arent to everyones taste, but they are Spanish, the Spanish built them because they wanted to encourage tourists to make money for their country and themselves. For heavens sake, just accept how things are and lets all stop trying to "be" more Spanish than anyone else. It doesnt matter, we're all living in Spain, we're all individuals trying to enjoy our lives and we're all european!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Lots of Romanians and Morroccans employed on the CDS. All working in bars and restaurants for about 4 euro per hour As a spaniard told me you get two workers for the price of one. The Spanish won't consider employing foreigners in proper jobs. Infact even a lot of spanish can't get access to a decent job because of enchufismo!
So I am lying? I was offered a good job in Valencia and Madrid. And my OH works with a number of foreigners getting paid way more than 4 euros an hour, more like 15k-30k per year.

Someone told me the other day that they will have to move back to Britain because the Spanish wont employ Brits. This woman speaks not one word of Spanish and has sent out precisely 0 CVs.

Never mind, much better to blame the Spanish. Xenophobia at its finest!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:20 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing a news clip on the building of the 4 towers in Madrid (it was towards the end of the building process). The building workers were interviewed, and it transpired that nearly all of them were extranjeros - Russians, Portuguese, Columbians, Ecuadorians, Roumanians etc. The one nationality you didn't see was the British (or Irish). My guess is more that at that time a British building worker could earn a lot more say in London than travelling to Spain.
As for the Spanish not wanting to hire a Brit (or an extranjero) in a "proper" job, I suspect Michael Robinson, Terry Venables or even our own CM would disagree with that. Spanish businessmen are just as greedy and/or ambitious as other nationalities, and if success means hiring a foreigner they'll do it.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:48 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I'd say show me the money. I have yet to meet or hear any British person in Spain who speakers fluent Spanish, i.e. at a level where they could be employed in that language.

The one or two I have met who do, went to Spanish state school and grew up in Spain.

And I've spoken to Spanish people here who say I am the first British person they have met who speaks Spanish fluently. And there are lots of lots of British people here, so I'm sure I am not the first they have met!

As for British people eating at Spanish restaurants...hardly.

The type of "Spanish restaurants" the Brits tend to eat at are the ones aimed at tourists where Spanish people wouldnt go to, and are as likely to serve pizza or burgers as any Spanish food. There are some chains where British people go, but at the restaurants serving Spanish food, there are prodominantly Spanish people. Although there are always exceptions of course.

Actually recently we were invited to a "Spanish restaurant" by some of my relatives up in Mijas. When we got there we realised it wasnt Spanish at all. OK, the waiters were Spanish, but the food was a kind of a watered down Spanish-style food for foreigners and for that reason there were only foreigners eating there.
All I can say cricketman is that my experience is very different from yours and I'm glad I don't live where you live - it sounds awful.

You must be mixing with the wrong people because many British people here speak fluent Spanish - I wouldn't say I was fluent but I speak well enough to run a business where every supplier and many customers are non-English speaking Spaniards.

Restaurants? There is only one non-Spanish restaurant for miles around and it's only been open for a few months. Before then all of the Brits here ate at Spanish restaurants and they still do largely. I realise that I live in 'real Spain' and you don't but do you know that not all of Spain is like where you live?

Anyway, like jojo I don't actually think there is too much wrong with the Spanish catering for expat tastes.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimenato
All I can say cricketman is that my experience is very different from yours and I'm glad I don't live where you live - it sounds awful.

You must be mixing with the wrong people because many British people here speak fluent Spanish - I wouldn't say I was fluent but I speak well enough to run a business where every supplier and many customers are non-English speaking Spaniards.

Restaurants? There is only one non-Spanish restaurant for miles around and it's only been open for a few months. Before then all of the Brits here ate at Spanish restaurants and they still do largely. I realise that I live in 'real Spain' and you don't but do you know that not all of Spain is like where you live?

Anyway, like jojo I don't actually think there is too much wrong with the Spanish catering for expat tastes.
No its not awful, but I am explaining that in this area Brits and Spanish do not mix much, at all.

Personally I never go to British bars or restaurants unless I really cant get away with it. But that is because I wanted to move to Spain for the Spanish things we love so much, warts and all.

However, Brits can spend all their days in British places if they like, its up to them. I am just reporting what I've seen and experienced during my time in this part of Spain
Old Jan 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

No its not awful, but I am explaining that in this area Brits and Spanish do not mix much, at all
Oh dear, never come across that myself before.

I suppose that, combined with your other woes and expat paranoia must make it a somewhat desperate place to live.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I'm lost, did the OP start this thread specifically to facilitate a bitch fest or have I completely misunderstood the intention?
I started it but as usual as a thread develops it becomea a bitch fest for reasons I do not understand.

I daren't ask what constitutes the "Real Spain"
Old Jan 1st 2011, 4:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I started it but as usual as a thread develops it becomea a bitch fest for reasons I do not understand.

Lots of unhappy people I dare say.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:16 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone

Like most things, it depends on where you stand, and as the 'Real Spain' is the viewpoint of thousands of disparate people, there is no 'Real Spain'.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Like most things, it depends on where you stand, and as the 'Real Spain' is the viewpoint of thousands of disparate people, there is no 'Real Spain'.
Quite.
What is the Real Spain to the Spanish themselves ?

Rural bliss, or the never ending hustle and bustle of the big city, which they are possibly more comfortable with than most expats ?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:42 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

According to a friend of mine, "Real Spain" or what the British like to think of as real Spain are the cutesy litttle white wash villages, donkeys, little squares with old men sitting on benches watching the day go by. The spanish are only too glad to sell their "real spanish" houses to these brits cos they wanna get the hell out and move to civilization and the towns where things are modern, clean and life is easier! Thats fine cos it suits everyone dont you think???? But its a little daft to assume because you are living in your "real spanish village" that you are integrated and a "real spanish" person!!!!

In the end it doesnt matter as long as everyone is happy and gets what they want out of it! Sadly this forum seems to always end up as a competition to see who actually is the most "real Spanish" expat here!!! - well it aint me, I live in Benalmadena, my kids go to an international school, I speak fairly poor spanish, I have blonde hair and I occasionally shop in Iceland! But this is where I want to be, I'm happy!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Quite.
What is the Real Spain to the Spanish themselves ?

Rural bliss, or the never ending hustle and bustle of the big city, which they are possibly more comfortable with than most expats ?
Well absolutely. When I worked in Madrid, the Spanish people I often came across were typical city dwellers - middle managers, investment fund administrators, doctors, air traffic controllers even a health club manager. They were just as much Spanish as the young students I also taught. But, at the same time, I'm sure there were pickpockets, depressed unemployed and homeless (even in those days when Madrid claimed there were more vacancies than job seekers). Naturally I didn't come across these people personally as they were unlikely to be paying for English lessons. They were, and are, as much "real Spain" as those who are able to get ahead. And of course, the sherry bodegas in Jerez are just as much "real Spain" as the car plants in Valladolid or the aerospace complex in Getafe.

It's a bit like asking what is the "real England"? The steel works closing down in Middlesbrough? The Investment bankers earning a fortune in the City of London? Or a mackerel fisherman in Devon (or wherever they operate from). I'm English, but all of those examples are alien to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.