Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Expat communities in inland Granada

Expat communities in inland Granada

Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

jowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the rough
Default Expat communities in inland Granada

Just after a few suggestions please. We're hoping to move out later in the year and had originally thought of Yecla. We'd heard that there are about 150 expats there, but it's a very Spanish town, not the kind of Brits abroad place.

Anyway, we're now looking at the possibility of somewhere in inland Granada and wondered if anyone can suggest a town with that kind of thing. We're not after any British bars, restaurants or shops, just somewhere Spanish with a nice expat community to get to know and make friends.

Any ideas??
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:06 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat communities in inland Granada

Loja, Orgiva, Baza are 3 that spring to mind.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jowalker
Just after a few suggestions please. We're hoping to move out later in the year and had originally thought of Yecla. We'd heard that there are about 150 expats there, but it's a very Spanish town, not the kind of Brits abroad place.

Anyway, we're now looking at the possibility of somewhere in inland Granada and wondered if anyone can suggest a town with that kind of thing. We're not after any British bars, restaurants or shops, just somewhere Spanish with a nice expat community to get to know and make friends.

Any ideas??
How do you mean, something Spanish?
This is Spain

What is your view of something Spanish
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

jowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the roughjowalker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
How do you mean, something Spanish?
This is Spain

What is your view of something Spanish
Somewhere without many tourists, with lots of Spanish traditional values and basically nothing along the Benidorm lines. Make more sense???!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

with lots of Spanish traditional values
I'd suggest you come out and try out a few "Spanish traditional values" first. You may decide to rethink some of your assumptions after a winter in the boonies. There are some reality checks that the guides and aspirational ex-pat books forget to mention.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:55 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pete_l
I'd suggest you come out and try out a few "Spanish traditional values" first. You may decide to rethink some of your assumptions after a winter in the boonies. There are some reality checks that the guides and aspirational ex-pat books forget to mention.

Should I put put you down for 4 ton of wood next year Pete?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Somewhere without many tourists, with lots of Spanish traditional values and basically nothing along the Benidorm lines. Make more sense???!
But you want a Brit community too (more than 150 habs)? What you are describing is a bit of a conflict. Somewhere with 150+ British full time habitants is going to be well and truly on the tourist map.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Ja nice expat community to get to know and make friends.
I think you'll find that that requirement is not going to be easy to fulfill.

Because what may seem at first to be a "nice friendly expat community" may turn out to be a "neighbours from hell" scenario.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Should I put put you down for 4 ton of wood next year Pete?
Plus a honkin' great snowplough, a standby genny and a powerful enough weedkiller to keep the local "triffids" away
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

I have a cave house in Huescar in the altiplano region of Granada. It has a small expat community but is predominantly Spanish.The old values are definitely alive and kicking down here, it reminds me of how the UK was 30 years ago with virtually zero crime, children can play out safely and a good community spirit.

The town itself is nice with plenty of bars,shops and restaurants(no brit bars or takeaways) and we have amazing views over the mountains from the cavehouse.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cavecritter
I have a cave house in Huescar in the altiplano region of Granada. It has a small expat community but is predominantly Spanish.The old values are definitely alive and kicking down here, it reminds me of how the UK was 30 years ago with virtually zero crime, children can play out safely and a good community spirit.

The town itself is nice with plenty of bars,shops and restaurants(no brit bars or takeaways) and we have amazing views over the mountains from the cavehouse.
Hi Cavecritter. From your Location: Torrevieja I didn't realise you had a home in Huescar. Huescar does have a British shop though. It is called Little Britain. From there you can buy some British foods and they also have UK catalogues such as Argos if you want to use them. I only know this as I live near Castillejar (down the road from Huescar) and the accountant I use for my renta each year is almost opposite the shop. I do agree though that it is a lovely Spanish town and all the English, Dutch and French I have met up here do try to integrate with the locals. Foreign tourists (meaning non-Spanish) also come to the area for its beauty and walking holidays so again different type to those wanting to lie on a beach all day. We do have cold winters, including snow at times, especially on the surrounding mountains (as they still have today). I had a home on the coast for a number of years and wouldn't move back from here now as we have not only been made to feel so welcome by the local people but also, as you said, it is virtually crime free so you can relax when you go out and not worry about the possibility of being mugged. I hope that part of being here doesn't change but the area will in time as "progress" always happens.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

cavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura aboutcavecritter has a spectacular aura about

Hi Cats-R-us, I have homes in both Torrevieja and Huescar and between the two I much prefer Huescar.I try to divide my time between them as work takes me to the coast.Ive been to Castillejar, nice village, but I love the whole area and the lifestyle up here.My daughter goes to school in Huescar so her Spanish is coming on in leaps and bounds,its a great place to bring up kids.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pete_l
Reality checks such as??
Old Mar 10th 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cavecritter

Thanks for that - that's exactly the kind of thing we're thinking of. Want to be able to have the children playing outside and not to have to worry constantly about their safety.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that - that's exactly the kind of thing we're thinking of. Want to be able to have the children playing outside and not to have to worry constantly about their safety.
No problem, my daughters safety played a huge part in deciding where to live,as we wanted somewhere where she could grow up with similar values as what I had when I was little. I wish you all the best for your move, its the best thing I did moving over here, and if you ever come down Huescar way you'd be more than welcome to call in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.