British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Exchanging UK for Spanish driving licence DGT latest (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/exchanging-uk-spanish-driving-licence-dgt-latest-930771/)

spainrico Feb 1st 2020 7:39 am

Exchanging UK for Spanish driving licence DGT latest

The DGT have updated their web site (translated via Google) Conducir tras el Brexit

'JANUARY 29, 2020

The European Union has negotiated with the United Kingdom a Withdrawal Agreement that enables a transitional period during which the rights of citizens are maintained according to the acquis communautaire, an agreement that has already been approved by both the European and British institutions.

Therefore, European driving license regulations will continue to apply to permits issued by the United Kingdom until the end of the transitional period, scheduled for December 31, 2020.

British in Spain

Consequently, the valid and valid driving licenses issued by the British authorities will enable their holders to drive in our country until that date. As of January 1, 2021, the general regulations on third-country permits (non-EU countries) and the permits issued by the British authorities will apply to drive in Spain for six months from the entry of the holder in Spain or from the date of obtaining legal residence.

If you are a British permit holder and you plan to reside in Spain after the end of the year 2020, we recommend that you request the exchange, renewal or replacement of your permit with an equivalent Spanish. To do so, you must make an appointment through the following link. In Spain, according to calculations by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs there are around 370,000 British residents.

(and then provides more info/links)

Barriej Feb 1st 2020 1:11 pm

Re: Exchanging UK for Spanish driving licence DGT latest

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12799673)
The DGT have updated their web site (translated via Google) Conducir tras el Brexit

'JANUARY 29, 2020

The European Union has negotiated with the United Kingdom a Withdrawal Agreement that enables a transitional period during which the rights of citizens are maintained according to the acquis communautaire, an agreement that has already been approved by both the European and British institutions.

Therefore, European driving license regulations will continue to apply to permits issued by the United Kingdom until the end of the transitional period, scheduled for December 31, 2020.

British in Spain

Consequently, the valid and valid driving licenses issued by the British authorities will enable their holders to drive in our country until that date. As of January 1, 2021, the general regulations on third-country permits (non-EU countries) and the permits issued by the British authorities will apply to drive in Spain for six months from the entry of the holder in Spain or from the date of obtaining legal residence.

If you are a British permit holder and you plan to reside in Spain after the end of the year 2020, we recommend that you request the exchange, renewal or replacement of your permit with an equivalent Spanish. To do so, you must make an appointment through the following link. In Spain, according to calculations by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs there are around 370,000 British residents.

(and then provides more info/links)

Good. As that confirms what the Embassy in Madrid told me yesterday.

​​​​​​At least it means I don't have to take a test when we arrive later in the year.

​​​​​​Now I'm going to start looking for a car.

lukehousehunting Feb 2nd 2020 7:48 am

Just to add, I would recommend that as soon as you know you are going to stay in Spain that you try to get the appointment at the DGT to exchange your licence. It took me 5 months to find an appointment in the whole Valencia community and then the actual process of exchanging took over 3 months.

Barriej Feb 2nd 2020 7:54 am

Originally Posted by lukehousehunting (Post 12800208)
Just to add, I would recommend that as soon as you know you are going to stay in Spain that you try to get the appointment at the DGT to exchange your licence. It took me 5 months to find an appointment in the whole Valencia community and then the actual process of exchanging took over 3 months.

Agreed but you need to be a resident before you can start the exchange so anyone arriving would have to sort that first.

lukehousehunting Feb 2nd 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12800214)
Agreed but you need to be a resident before you can start the exchange so anyone arriving would have to sort that first.

Yes true, sorry I didnt mention that. I tried before I had residency (through the advice of someone at the DGT on the phone) and then when I drove 200km to my appointment, the person at the DGT said I need residency.

lyric030250 Feb 2nd 2020 8:20 am

I have just (last Thursday) been turned away in Malaga as my Residence Certificate was a copy and not the original. She wanted a copy but sight of the original. Also note that trying to be clever and doing self and wife on one visit to a desk won't wash either, one person, one appointment.
I've been at this since October and that was my second visit. First time the computer denied that the appointment I was holding hard copy of did not exist "No CITA para NIE hoy". Shrug of their collective shoulders, nothing possible, "Computer says no"

spainrico Feb 2nd 2020 8:25 am

UK Gov site has been updated see here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...content=weekly

bfg69bug Feb 4th 2020 4:53 pm

I exchanged mine a couple weeks ago. I went through Clinica LaCibis in Alhaurin el Grande.

New licence came in the post a few weeks later..

no big deal, no long wait ?

Barriej Feb 4th 2020 6:27 pm

I had confirmation of the extension to licence exchange to 31st Dec 2020 from my spanish solicitor this morning.

when we are back over in march i can now get on with buying a car.

Patrick2976 Feb 5th 2020 3:09 pm

I think the long wait comes when you try to get an appointment as an individual (at least that's what my gestor told me). It seems that doing it through a company is a lot quicker from all the evidence I've seen. My wife and I started the process two weeks ago via our gestoria in Fuengirola
so we shall see.....

Fred James Feb 5th 2020 3:21 pm

That’s always been the case with official documents. The gestors have a fast track into the system so will do it for you much quicker. Their charges are usually very reasonable and they save a lot of hassle and waiting. Over the years they have saved me a huge amount of time and effort and on a couple of issues, a lot of money.

shacho Feb 6th 2020 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12802211)
That’s always been the case with official documents. The gestors have a fast track into the system so will do it for you much quicker. Their charges are usually very reasonable and they save a lot of hassle and waiting. Over the years they have saved me a huge amount of time and effort and on a couple of issues, a lot of money.

I agree with that, 70 euros and they did it all for me and i was in to the see the Gestor and done in 15 mins.

shacho Feb 6th 2020 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by shacho (Post 12803026)
I agree with that, 70 euros and they did it all for me and i was in to the see the Gestor and done in 15 mins.

Will still take 2-3 weeks however. They also did everything when buying a car, at least you can be rest assured that everything is done correctly - believe me its money well spent.

Notdunroamin Feb 7th 2020 6:37 am

Originally Posted by lyric030250 (Post 12800229)
I have just (last Thursday) been turned away in Malaga as my Residence Certificate was a copy and not the original. She wanted a copy but sight of the original.

If you learn only one thing about Spanish bureaucracy surely it has to be that you ALWAYS take photocopies AND originals!

​​​​​​