Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

Originally Posted by Domino
my last ATM withdrawal also had £2 transaction charge as well as a rubbish rate of exchange.

although I have an XE.COM account have never used it. (yet)
You may not get the chance - I opened an account with XE.com last year, used it once and a few weeks later they sent me an email saying that for commercial reasons they were no longer offering transfers to Spain.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 7:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
You may not get the chance - I opened an account with XE.com last year, used it once and a few weeks later they sent me an email saying that for commercial reasons they were no longer offering transfers to Spain.

well if they don't want my shekels I am sure someone else will

Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

cocothebunny is an unknown quantity at this point

we use them, when i have a lump sum stacked up in the uk i move it over then convert it when the rate suits. very pleased. rate has been awful but today better thank goodness so just changed over a bit.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, first post, hopefully moving to Spain in a couple of months.

As for currencies, I have used a couple of places, Global Currency Exchange Network and also FairFX.com.

I'm not sure if any of these are better or worse that the ones you already use, but it's an option to check.

I should add that GCEN say that they will offer the best rate and transfers are without charge.

Last edited by Sausages; Feb 15th 2013 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MRam
Hi
I hope you don't mind me commenting - but you may also like to try Halo Financial - we are one of the partner vendors on British Expats and can offer a competitive rate as well as an FX manager to guide you. Feel free to visit our website for more information.
Fair comment, but you'll know of course that you aren't supposed to solicit for business in the general forums

Since you have ..... If I were to transfer £1200 to euros today, what rate of exchange would U get and would there be any charges from Halo
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:25 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I am fairly new to this - just heard from another person its not allowed, but thanks for asking -we would offer a rate of 1.15 and there would be a fee of £15 for this type of transfer. For more information feel free to contact us direct via the website. thanks
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I am fairly new to this - just heard from another person its not allowed, but thanks for asking -we would offer a rate of 1.15 and there would be a fee of £15 for this type of transfer. For more information feel free to contact us direct via the website. thanks
Theres the problem then ........... Thats about what I get with Currencies Direct, but I dont pay a fee. I should have said I transfer a similar amount every month
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:45 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
If it is a regular transfer, then we do offer an RCT. The rate on this would be 1.135 and the fee would be £5 based on today’s rates. If this is not suitable then I wish you the best of luck with your current provider.
Kind regards
Mark
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:48 am
Senior Moment

Hi
If it is a regular transfer, then we do offer an RCT. The rate on this would be 1.135 and the fee would be £5 based on today’s rates. If this is not suitable then I wish you the best of luck with your current provider.
Kind regards
Mark
Thank you
Its not that it isnt suitable, it's just that its not competitive with that particular movement I guess
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Kind regards
Mark
Do you mean that with a regular monthly contract you would offer a reduced exchange rate than for a one off transfer?

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but I would have thought that the regular contract would command a better exchange rate, the reason being you would be getting a transfer every month and not just once. For example, a customer always gets a better deal with a contract mobile phone than with a PAYG.

If I am understanding you correctly, then what's to stop someone just making one off transfers every month in order to get the better rate?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:16 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by billgates
Do you mean that with a regular monthly contract you would offer a reduced exchange rate than for a one off transfer?

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way, but I would have thought that the regular contract would command a better exchange rate, the reason being you would be getting a transfer every month and not just once. For example, a customer always gets a better deal with a contract mobile phone than with a PAYG.

If I am understanding you correctly, then what's to stop someone just making one off transfers every month in order to get the better rate?
Because you pay a wapping big £15 fee instead of £5
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

If your transfer was for £1000 then a one off payment would get you £1150 less £15 for the fee.
A monthly contract of £1000 would get you £1135 less £5 for the fee.

Hardly a wapping big difference, and for anything more than £1000 then the difference in exchange rate is greater than the difference in fee.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

And if you were to transfer £2000 a month then you would be better off making a one off transfer every month rather than a regular contract.

Just seems the wrong way round to me.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:57 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Just For my Two pennyworth, currency Fair only charge €3 per transaction with a very similar rate. Eg on their website is wysiwyg, same day service if done first thing. Regards Steve