Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate with Currencies Direct

[I wonder if they monitor sites like this....]
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
I've been with Currencies Direct for quite a few years now and the rate used to be quite competitive, but I've been suspecting that something is not quite right for a while now since I noticed I can get a better rate through the cash machine, and even then with the added transfer charge.

I'll have to drop them an email and let them know I'm not happy with the rate they give me, then I suppose after they tell me that it's the best rate they can possibly do, I'll have to vote with my feet.
Good luck with emailing them. I did last year several times to get rates for USD & euro amounts and they never replied
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

£ continues it's downward trend always concerns me when it goes below the 1.18 point as last time it just plummeted from there and seems to struggle to get back up. It is quit amazing really how quickly it swings from one to the other.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

seems like some of those currency traders are taking a pop at the £sterling again. Looks like a few new cars, holidays etc are needed before the end of the financial year.

Perhaps they should go back to trading pork belly slices

Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

There was an American (I think) Currency Bod on the Politics show this lunchtime saying that the £ was in for a sharp devaluation, when they said well that is ongoing he said, I mean a sharp devaluation? so looks like as you say they have their sights on it.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
There was an American (I think) Currency Bod on the Politics show this lunchtime saying that the £ was in for a sharp devaluation, when they said well that is ongoing he said, I mean a sharp devaluation? so looks like as you say they have their sights on it.
probably find that Osbourne is up to it, especially as now we don't have to worry about the ERM or the Euro, better still we don't have Panda Lamont to run around panicing

many have been saying for some time the £ is over valued, but it isn't just its relationship with dodgy currencies like the €uro but the rest of the world as well. I know the $ is defacto currency for things like oil but they don't exactly set the world alight either.

`
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I am sure Osborne is quite happy at the minute he no doubt thinks let the Euro take the strain and we'll get cheap exports? although didn't really seem to work that way last time. I have enough in Spain to last me for a few trips and pay my bills I will just keep my pounds hoping it will get better.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:21 pm

I must say I get very angry at "foreigners" telling us how we should do this and do that, like well, we are plain stupid.
and British media seems to thrive on using them
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

we got 1.1962 which was set on the 4th january, the transfer actually took place on the 12th, don't know if this helps you or not.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

z0s0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have enough in Spain to last me for a few trips and pay my bills I will just keep my pounds hoping it will get better.
I'd be careful with this strategy.

The critical question is: Do you want to be a currency speculator? If not, I'd recommend just making regular transfers as needed so your "effective rate" over the long term simply follows the average.

When you take a position; in this case expecting that the GBP will recover, you are in much the same boat as the pundits. i.e. expressing speculative opinions but really not in any better position to predict the future (arguably in a worse position, depending on the pundit).

Take the average and you won't lose too much sleep over what might have been
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have done that when I had a mortgage. At the moment I have enough money in Spain to pay my bills and for spending money for the next 12 months. I tend to only move small amounts these days so far from speculating I am just in a position that I do not need to move money right now. yes you are are right it may go down and not pick up as you say who knows. I am far from a speculator believe me.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

On January 14th I got 1.1781
Kath
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath and Ted
On January 14th I got 1.1781
Kath
Which is about the same as me a few days later from Currencies Direct

So what conclusion do we draw from this? They are all offering roughly the same rates as you can draw from an ATM now?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:15 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

We got 1.1904 on 16 Jan with CurrencyFair.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Which is about the same as me a few days later from Currencies Direct

So what conclusion do we draw from this? They are all offering roughly the same rates as you can draw from an ATM now?
my last ATM withdrawal also had £2 transaction charge as well as a rubbish rate of exchange.

although I have an XE.COM account have never used it. (yet)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.