Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
As a hard working taxpayer here in the UK, admittedly working (often very long hours) in a job I thoroughly enjoy doing in spite of stressful situations at times, I really do resent the fact that part of my taxes have been sent out to thousands of expat fellow Britons who chose to desert these shores in order to spend their retirement in the sunshine and warm temperatures of Spain and other Mediterranean countries.

Of course they are absolutely entitled to their UK State Pensions by virtue of all their contributions subscribed to it, but the Winter Fuel Allowance?

I think not.

I can just imagine some of those lucky pensioners basking in the winter sunshine down there in a January temperature somewhere around 15C to 20C, lying on their sun loungers sipping on G & Ts or cans of ale straight out of the fridge or Pimms or whatever...all paid for out of their WFPs while inside their homes all the heating systems are firmly switched off while reading their expat copies of UK newspapers all the reports of snow and ice bound roads back in the UK and shivering pensioners huddled under blankets in front of their one bar electric fires in their frigid homes.

At last we have a sensible Government here in the UK making sure our hard earned taxation monies are not sent to people who do not really need them for purposes not really appropriate.
Unfortunately that is complete nonsense from someone who knows nothing about the changing climatic conditions and the much colder and wetter weather now experienced in Spain and Portugal. Its a popular myth that the sun shines 365 days a year in Spain. It may be warmer than the UK because its further south but nevertheless it can be cold and the WFA is very much needed to pay the exorbitant electricity bills.
If it were a truly sensible government then it would scrap WFA and all the other allowable benefits to poor pensioners and pay them a decent flat rate pension. The average 6000 pounds a year pension is no where near the average British annual wage.
Why is it that most pensioners are entitled to additional benefits but sadly only for those who are resident?
Do your research before making such rash statements!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

As a hard working taxpayer here in the UK, admittedly working (often very long hours) in a job I thoroughly enjoy doing in spite of stressful situations at times, I really do resent the fact that part of my taxes have been sent out to thousands of expat fellow Britons who chose to desert these shores in order to spend their retirement in the sunshine and warm temperatures of Spain and other Mediterranean countries.
Come the referendum you will be able to vote to end your own involvement.

I sincerely hope we do get rid of you.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:03 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Lets hope so, after all the years I lived in the desert the cold and snow in the UK is lovely.
and there was me thinking that the desert got cold at night
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
sending single mothers out to work as soon as their child is three years old.
Why should the state support the ones who have made a lifestyle choice?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:15 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they are absolutely entitled to their UK State Pensions by virtue of all their contributions subscribed to it, but the Winter Fuel Allowance?

I think not.

I can just imagine some of those lucky pensioners basking in the winter sunshine down there in a January temperature somewhere around 15C to 20C, lying on their sun loungers sipping on G & Ts or cans of ale straight out of the fridge or Pimms or whatever...all paid for out of their WFPs while inside their homes all the heating systems are firmly switched off while reading their expat copies of UK newspapers all the reports of snow and ice bound roads back in the UK and shivering pensioners huddled under blankets in front of their one bar electric fires in their frigid homes.

At last we have a sensible Government here in the UK making sure our hard earned taxation monies are not sent to people who do not really need them for purposes not really appropriate.
please don't make me laugh (ironically speaking).
how far do you think £200 goes in a post-Euro economy ??
As HBG says, its one G&T a night - but in fact not even that. Do the math.

Although i receive the WFP it was a bonus, not factored into my retirement budget and not really missed. I didn't ask for it to be paid.
I had a bus pass in the UK but its of no use to me in Spain, although I do regularly use the bus, but it is cheaper than the UK.

As to your resentment of expats living in foreign countries, well I put that down to your youth, lack of experience of life in the UK and abroad.
Just can't understand why you lurk on BE if you feel that way, after all it is full of expats living in foreign countries.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:25 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
please don't make me laugh (ironically speaking).
how far do you think £200 goes in a post-Euro economy ??
As HBG says, its one G&T a night - but in fact not even that. Do the math.

Although i receive the WFP it was a bonus, not factored into my retirement budget and not really missed. I didn't ask for it to be paid.
I had a bus pass in the UK but its of no use to me in Spain, although I do regularly use the bus, but it is cheaper than the UK.

As to your resentment of expats living in foreign countries, well I put that down to your youth, lack of experience of life in the UK and abroad.
Just can't understand why you lurk on BE if you feel that way, after all it is full of expats living in foreign countries.
Looking at things from a British tax payers point of view, who is working and living in the uk, I can see how it rankles.

And for everyone who is complaining about cold houses in Spain, remember that their Spainish neighbours, who some are so affiliated with, live in the same cold houses and don´t get any WFA.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ex pats in Spain to lose winter fuel payment

Originally Posted by me me
Looking at things from a British tax payers point of view, who is working and living in the uk, I can see how it rankles.

And for everyone who is complaining about cold houses in Spain, remember that their Spainish neighbours, who some are so affiliated with, live in the same cold houses and don´t get any WFA.
but they also get a larger pension...

why do people who live in the UK seem to think they know all about life in Spain..why are they even interested in putting useless comments on the forum..why don't they keep their opinions to themselves and just write on the UK forum..??
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:07 am

I have been a British tax payer for almost 50 years (50th will be 1st Dec this year) and I am still paying British Tax.
How I spend what is left is my business, where I spend it is also my business.
Like most BE's irrespective of country, I have scrimped and saved and struggled to pay off a mortgage to enable me and my loved ones to have a reasonable life for those years I have left. I have made savings plans that have been shattered by "changing circumstances" irrespective of the plan agreements and had to start again.

The UK isn't the best pension payer of the free world, Europe or anywhere else, having to rely on "benefits" and "top-up's" to allow its elderly to "live".
But it is known as the Benefits Capital of The World, where it is free to all comers.
More money is wasted in providing medical care to "visitors" than goes to BE's in WFP, and just remember that there are many "old Commonwealth" countries where the pension is frozen from the date you leave the UK.

Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:22 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I have been a British tax payer for almost 50 years (50th will be 1st Dec this year) and I am still paying British Tax.
How I spend what is left is my business, where I spend it is also my business.
Like most BE's irrespective of country, I have scrimped and saved and struggled to pay off a mortgage to enable me and my loved ones to have a reasonable life for those years I have left. I have made savings plans that have been shattered by "changing circumstances" irrespective of the plan agreements and had to start again.

The UK isn't the best pension payer of the free world, Europe or anywhere else, having to rely on "benefits" and "top-up's" to allow its elderly to "live".
But it is known as the Benefits Capital of The World, where it is free to all comers.
More money is wasted in providing medical care to "visitors" than goes to BE's in WFP, and just remember that there are many "old Commonwealth" countries where the pension is frozen from the date you leave the UK.

Both my OH and myself are UK tax payers too.

But if you don´t just cherry pick from my posts you will see that I was not talking about UK tax payers per se.

I was referring to tax payers that were living and working in the UK.

And I did not refer at all to the "old commonwealth" countries if people wanted to move there knowing their pensions would be frozen, that is their own concern They were not duped in any way.

And just because visitors to the UK are cheating the NHS system does not prevent the resident in the UK tax payers feeling the way they do about WFA.

And don´t forget even if other benefits/rights are abused by visitors to the UK, 2 wrongs don´t make a right.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Why should the state support the ones who have made a lifestyle choice?
They made a lifestyle choice because that's what we (the country) encouraged them to do. I know two such single mothers quite well, they are educated, don't come from sink estates and lived with normal parents and siblings.

But they committed the cardinal sin of getting pregnant at a young age, and asked for advice. That advice included having an abortion, having their child adopted, or getting a council house and sufficient benefits to bring up their child.

The two I know chose the latter and I haven't got it in my heart to criticise them.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:37 am

Both my OH and myself are UK tax payers too.

But if you don´t just cherry pick from my posts you will see that I was not talking about UK tax payers per se.

I was referring to tax payers that were living and working in the UK.

And I did not refer at all to the "old commonwealth" countries if people wanted to move there knowing their pensions would be frozen, that is their own concern They were not duped in any way.

And just because visitors to the UK are cheating the NHS system does not prevent the resident in the UK tax payers feeling the way they do about WFA.

And don´t forget even if other benefits/rights are abused by visitors to the UK, 2 wrongs don´t make a right.
I don't see where "2 wrongs" comes into it.
I am a UK tax payer and as I keep banging on - I didn't ask for the WFP, it was given to me as part of an EU instruction. Take it away and I won't have a problem.

funny that it is only on BE Spain that this conversation is getting any airing - the rest of Europe is exceedingly quiet on the subject.
just wind up the key and see all the xpats spit and bite each other.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HBG
They made a lifestyle choice because that's what we (the country) encouraged them to do. I know two such single mothers quite well, they are educated, don't come from sink estates and lived with normal parents and siblings.

But they committed the cardinal sin of getting pregnant at a young age, and asked for advice. That advice included having an abortion, having their child adopted, or getting a council house and sufficient benefits to bring up their child.

The two I know chose the latter and I haven't got it in my heart to criticise them.
I have. your post shows that they made a lifestyle choice and that they cannot claim ignorance because of a poor background / education or whatever.
It was their choice why should they then not support that choice themselves.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:58 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

This is from the Spain ..expat group i belong too............The biggest bill for winter fuel payments in Europe outside of the UK is for expats in Spain, figures from the Department for Work and Pensions show. The cost for people there was £5.78 million in the winter of 2011/2012, according to the latest statistics. Spain is one of a list of seven countries that have been defined as having warmer winters than the UK according to a list compiled by the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. France, Portugal, Greece, Cyprus, Malta and Gibraltar are the others on the list.

However, backers of the allowance claim that in Spain the winters can be just as cold as in the UK. Many properties where pensioners live do not have central heating, double glazing or roof insulation and owners claim it costs more in heating costs. Also expats living in northern France have winters that are as cold as the UK.

The National Federation of Occupational Pensioners said that the policy may lead to many pensioners who live abroad being deprived of the ability to pay heating bills.

Related Posts

Row intensifies over UK expat winter fuel payments
As a UK expat do you need a winter fuel allowance?
As a UK expat living in France do you need a winter fuel allowance?
As a UK expat living in Spain do you need a winter fuel allowance?
As a UK expat living in the UAE do you need a winter fuel allowance?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:01 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

and there was me thinking that the desert got cold at night
Are there any straws you won't clutch at to try and win an argument?
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:02 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

As an expat i dont need the WFA were i live in Playa del Ingles... but 30 miles away in Las Plamas i would as it very cold in the winter and they can get snow..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.