Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ever met a genius?

Ever met a genius?

Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:58 am
  #121  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Try this while you're grafting Bil... A neighbour of mine has an orange/lemon/manderin tree in her garden. Yes, it has all 3 on right now! Wonder why she missed out lime...
Talking about grafting and gardening, Where I am living at the moment, I have never seen so much mistle toe growing in all my life, it's on every tree in maybe 4 places on each tree, Tons of the stuff
anonimouse is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:47 pm
  #122  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Talking about grafting and gardening, Where I am living at the moment, I have never seen so much mistle toe growing in all my life, it's on every tree in maybe 4 places on each tree, Tons of the stuff
In our old garden in the UK I always wanted to grow it, and tried everything I could for 20 odd years, but without luck. It finally took, but within 6 months of that, those particular trees had to come down.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:48 pm
  #123  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Try this while you're grafting Bil... A neighbour of mine has an orange/lemon/manderin tree in her garden. Yes, it has all 3 on right now! Wonder why she missed out lime...
Yeah, if you have a small garden, it's the way to go. I saw a clip of one guy with a grafted apple tree that had 25 varieties on it.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:53 pm
  #124  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by bil
In our old garden in the UK I always wanted to grow it, and tried everything I could for 20 odd years, but without luck. It finally took, but within 6 months of that, those particular trees had to come down.
How did you try and grow it mate?
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:51 pm
  #125  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
How did you try and grow it mate?
I tried pressing the contents of the berry into a crevice, as that seemed the most sensible, with some just on the smooth bark, and I also used to try piercing the bark with a small hole so that the seed would sit in that with the hope that the protrusions that the seed produces would be able to insert into the bark from the inside. I had observed from one of my failures that those protrusions form pads at the ends, rather like the pads at the end of virginia creeper tendrils, and then those pads adhere to the bark like suckers, with the bark then being penetrated at the junction.

All those on the flat bark (apple trees) couldn't adhere and would dry up and fall off. I can't remember for the life of me which technique achieved any success.

I doubt I will grow any in Spain, but out of sheer curiosity, what's the correct technique?

Come to thinmk of it, I have planted apple trees. Do you think it would work out in Spain?
bil is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
  #126  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by bil
I tried pressing the contents of the berry into a crevice, as that seemed the most sensible, with some just on the smooth bark, and I also used to try piercing the bark with a small hole so that the seed would sit in that with the hope that the protrusions that the seed produces would be able to insert into the bark from the inside. I had observed from one of my failures that those protrusions form pads at the ends, rather like the pads at the end of virginia creeper tendrils, and then those pads adhere to the bark like suckers, with the bark then being penetrated at the junction.

All those on the flat bark (apple trees) couldn't adhere and would dry up and fall off. I can't remember for the life of me which technique achieved any success.

I doubt I will grow any in Spain, but out of sheer curiosity, what's the correct technique?

Come to thinmk of it, I have planted apple trees. Do you think it would work out in Spain?
I have grown it in apple trees with quite a lot of success, I tend to put them in some warm water until the seeds begin to break up then I find a crevice somewhere and just slosh it on.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:52 pm
  #127  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I have grown it in apple trees with quite a lot of success, I tend to put them in some warm water until the seeds begin to break up then I find a crevice somewhere and just slosh it on.
Bugger. I was hoping you were going to come out with some secret trick. The seeds used to look as tho had they been held tightly to the bark they would have adhered successfully.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:00 pm
  #128  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Try this while you're grafting Bil... A neighbour of mine has an orange/lemon/manderin tree in her garden. Yes, it has all 3 on right now! Wonder why she missed out lime...
Another question here. When we bought the place, I planted some 20, 25 mandarins and clems. I figured some would be crap, and then I would rip them out and plant something better.

5 years on, they are all coming out or being used as root stock. EVERY SINGLE ONE was tasteless, flavourless and about as enjoyable as drinking very, very watery fruit squash.

No can anyone tell me what the point is in creating cultivars like that?

The joke is we have one tree that was there when we bought, and that tree is sensational, so I am now grafting it onto ever piece of rootstock I have in the hope that some will take.
bil is offline  
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:02 pm
  #129  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by bil
Bugger. I was hoping you were going to come out with some secret trick. The seeds used to look as tho had they been held tightly to the bark they would have adhered successfully.
You need to find a slightly exposed crevice mate, they take quickly on exposed cambium.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:25 am
  #130  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Well I have had a sleep and it's turned into a gardening thread
jackytoo is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:32 am
  #131  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Well I have had a sleep and it's turned into a gardening thread
Stroke of genius innit.
jdr is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2011, 5:32 am
  #132  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You need to find a slightly exposed crevice mate, they take quickly on exposed cambium.
That's why I used to bore a small hole and put them into that hoping that the glue in the berry would seal out rot etc.
bil is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:04 am
  #133  
Yaaarp
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Trying to get the hell outta Spain!
Posts: 1,354
Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

My boss said I've learnt more in 14 months at the company than the jefe de taller has in 40 years and thinks I'm a genius........does this count?
Madridboy is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:37 am
  #134  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

;
Originally Posted by Madridboy
My boss said I've learnt more in 14 months at the company than the jefe de taller has in 40 years and thinks I'm a genius........does this count?
That depends on how much you persuaded him to pay you!
cricketman is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:45 am
  #135  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 111
Treegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant futureTreegod has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Genius is a little bit of inspiration with a lot of hard work. Either people aren't even inspired a little bit or they are VERY lazy
Treegod is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.