Reload this Page >

Ever met a genius?

Ever met a genius?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:34 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ever met a genius?

Originally Posted by agoreira
Reading these forums, about this time every year, loads there seem to asking how to combat dampness, flaking walls etc. Someone suggesting putting bowls of salt all over the place, then drying it out in the oven, all sounds a bit Heath Robinson!
Dehumidifyer, helps drying the air, not so much the walls, but the dryer air will warm up quicker.
Ventilation is important! (outside air is dryer than inside air, unless it rains)
Paint flaking walls (apply something like Eurfijador before)

&

Switch on the bloody heating!

It all helps.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, England with it's cosy warm homes is starting to look like the perfect Winter holiday destination, to get away from the crap houses and cold and damp of mainland Spain.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:36 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Oh god! Its gonna turn into a pissing contest innit?
Yeah, I think a lot of people when they move to another country often have to 'big it up' almost as if they are afraid people will think they have made a mistake in going there.

I used to see this a lot on another part of the forum with people talking about going back to the UK. They had gone out with the rose tinteds on, discovered to their horror that the place they were going to wasn't perfect in every way, and now were making the mistake of looking over their shoulder without taking off those distorting rose tinteds.

As I said before, I don't say it never rains in Spain. I don't say the sun never shines in the UK. All I say is that at some point in the early seventies I started to realise that the weather I was experiencing was at odds with what everyone else seemed to be talking about. The vast majority of summer days were grey, not blue, with the exception of the odd time like 1976, there were never sustained periods without clouds and or rain.

People would talk about it being a wonderful day, when I knew I had only clocked half an hour's sunshine.

Wierd. I guess it's just people trying to make the best of it.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:44 am
Jur

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have been in some spanish houses and smelt the damp. Have smelt it on a lot of peoples clothes too. Infact the warm houses I have been in are few, even with wood burners they seemed cold.
You smell other peoples clothes?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Sometimes you just can't help it. They just reek

But that's nothing to do with the damp!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:12 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Somehow this surprises you.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:53 am
Jur

Somehow this surprises you.
Do you do it too ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:02 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Do you do it too ?
No, but then the restraining order does limit me to what I can and can't do with strangers.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:38 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you really need sniff them all over their bodies like a rampant hound.
Normally a couple of meters downwind is quite sufficient.

So if anyones just returned to the UK from their Spanish retreat in mid-winter, don't judge the weather by their fake suntan, just stick your nose in the air and have a good sniff.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You can't help smelling that fungus mouldy smell when you are stood in a queue

Once when waiting to complete a sale we rented a nice villa for 6 weeks. The only source of heating was a woodburner in the lounge. Early December and the rain had arrived. We were only warm if we sat in 2 armchairs a metre away from the burner. Bought one of those horrible gas fires and put it in the bedroom for an hour before bed. One wall started to turn black, all the clothes in the wardrobes started to smell. In just 6 weeks we had to bin a lot of stuff, even some of the shoes we had not worn were beginning to get green mould!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:28 am
Straw Man.

I am just LOVING the fact that no one, not even the most avid complainers about thread hijacking, is sticking to the subject of the thread... brilliant.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I am just LOVING the fact that no one, not even the most avid complainers about thread hijacking, is sticking to the subject of the thread... brilliant.

Not brilliant, genius. There. Back on topic.

As you were
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:58 am
Jur

This was done by a true genius:

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
To me, genius isn't anything to do with how well you do anything. It's all about making connections that no-one else has seen, going mentally where no-one has gone before.
I Like this definition. By this definition I'm a genius, My brother is one, and so is at least one of my children!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
That's logical. Concrete over the whole thing tho as gravel is a pain and collects all the organic debris. If you don't like gardening, that's the way to go.

Me, I enjoy growing things. This year I'm experimenting with grafting trees, and I am turning composting into an art form. The garden has more and more flowers and we keep trying new vegetables and so on.
Try this while you're grafting Bil... A neighbour of mine has an orange/lemon/manderin tree in her garden. Yes, it has all 3 on right now! Wonder why she missed out lime...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.