Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

European Non-Union

European Non-Union

Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of
Default Re: European Non-Union

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
???

I'm only aware of One regime which was overthrown or attempted to be overthrown, and control and income of that countries oil supply was handed back to them as I understand it.
I think all of the OPEC countries fit that model.

Jim
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Like yourself I have major reservations about Afghanistan and the loss of British lives.
However if it's a choice between that and having 9/11s occuring at regular intervals all over Europe,maybe it's a sacrifice that has to be made.
Personally I would pull the troops out and bomb the place to buggery.
It wouldn't wipe them all out, but it would surely control a lot of their activities.
Trying to compare this affair with N.Ireland is like trying to compare chalk and cheese.
Agree 100%.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HBG
But this ragged lot in Afghanistan don’t want to negotiate, their bible tells them to kill infidels (most of us I would think) and there’s no room for negotiation.
Even Alexander the Great couldn't control them and no one else has since. Apparently they are extremely hospitable to foreigners providing they dont want to control them.

The current problem is arguably an American one. They saw the opportunity to destroy the Soviet Union, armed the Afghans with modern weapons which they didn't have, the Afghans then forced the Russians to leave.

They then reacted against the US who wished to bring them into the 20th Century and the rest is history.

Jim
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:40 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I never got the link between Afghanistan, Iraq and 9-11

Bin Laden is Syrian, and the Bin Laden family is best of friends with Bush and Co.

The 9-11 training took place in the US and to a smaller extent in countries like Pakistan

9-11 was just an excuse the US used to try and overthrow the regimes in the Middle East and get control of the oil supply. Only two countries fell for this, the UK and Spain, both at the time controlled by slimey presidents who would do anything to get themselves photographed with the president of the USA.

That's cos there never was a real link between them. Al Q. had nothing to do with Iraq. Had we had a prime minister with guts, we would never have had to lose so many of our soldiers in Iraq.

Afghanistan was a righteous thing, and had the west just focussed on that, we might have done some real good, and not be in the position we are in today.

As for Aznar, he was so far up Bush's arse that he could actually see Blair's feet.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:43 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The reason for the UK to have large numbers of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent and Spain to have similar number from South America are historical, the reminders of both countries proud colonial past.

There is no difference between the skills, or otherwise, that a Pakistani brings to the UK, or the Ecuadorian brings to Spain.

Countries thrive on diversity, and the flow of immigrants is unstoppable anyway. The US has tried to close its border with Mexico and the country is now one-third Spanish speaking; Germany needed Turkish labour and now has a large Turkish population which causes serious tensions within the country, and the UK is horrified when projecting forward its Islamic population and realising that they will at some stage be in the majority, a home grown one at that.
Isn't it funny how religion ends up being a major cause of conflict? I know things are (relatively) quiet in Northern Ireland between the (mainly) Catholic republicans and the Proddie Unionists, but I expect that to flare up at some point, perhaps when Scotland gains independence. Where I live in London there's a sizeable population from the Middle East, and I doubt they will cause any trouble. Islamic converts from Leeds, Luton or Swindon however - they're the ones to be wary of.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:38 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I have some considerable and unfortunate experiences of the troubles between Catholics and Protestants in the past, but their religious differences are minute compared to the vast differences between Christians and Muslims.

Every death caused by religious hatred is regrettable, and I’m a firm advocate of burning every Church, Chapel, Mosque or whatever to stop the stupidity, but it’s not going to happen in my lifetime.

And I’m no different to any other bigot, I’ve stood on the terraces of certain football clubs and sang my heart out for a tradition drummed into me from birth. I was singing in the bath just the other day and my sensible partner knocked on the door and asked me what the **** I was singing about.

I couldn’t explain that it was a battle fought hundreds of years ago, she would never have understood.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Google must be absolutely knackered!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:19 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Google must be absolutely knackered!
Try another search engine, Yahoo's not bad. And run a virus check!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Try another search engine, Yahoo's not bad. And run a virus check!
What's a virus? (I have a Mac you know)
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:28 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's a virus? (I have a Mac you know)
The whole of Devon has got Macs.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:42 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
The whole of Devon has got Macs.
Do the Orchards?
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do the Orchards?
They've got a shop in Okehampton selling them.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:11 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
They've got a shop in Okehampton selling them.
Far too far North for me.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Far too far North for me.
I know. It used to take me an hour to drive to Plymouth. I was a bit further north than Okehampton.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:37 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
I know. It used to take me an hour to drive to Plymouth. I was a bit further north than Okehampton.
Plymouth is too far West for me as well....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.