Reload this Page >

European Health Insurance Card

European Health Insurance Card

Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

RobinC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default European Health Insurance Card

Hi

My family & I moved to Spain in November 2004 and currently live on the Sierra de la Contraviesa. Recently my wife developed a medical condition and had to visit the A&E department in Motril Hospital for a diagnosis. She has been presribed medication but may need further investigation and treatment.

We have just received a letter from the hospital requiring us to present a photocopy of a document which I understand is the succesor to form E111, called the European Health Insurance Card. We do not possess such a card (although we still have our old E111 forms which I understand are now invalid) as I believe we left the UK just before this card came out. At the time we went to the hospital all we could do was to present my wife's residencia card.

In letter from the hospital it states that we definitely need to present the EHIC document within 15 days or we would be liable to pay all medical costs. We wondered if anyone here knew how you go about obtaining an EHIC from Spain as a matter of urgency or indeed whether it can be obtained from here at all as far as UK citizens resident in Spain are concerned. We tried contacting the consulate in Malaga but so far have had no luck

Regards

RobinC
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

anne c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: European Health Insurance Card

Originally Posted by RobinC
Hi

My family & I moved to Spain in November 2004 and currently live on the Sierra de la Contraviesa. Recently my wife developed a medical condition and had to visit the A&E department in Motril Hospital for a diagnosis. She has been presribed medication but may need further investigation and treatment.

We have just received a letter from the hospital requiring us to present a photocopy of a document which I understand is the succesor to form E111, called the European Health Insurance Card. We do not possess such a card (although we still have our old E111 forms which I understand are now invalid) as I believe we left the UK just before this card came out. At the time we went to the hospital all we could do was to present my wife's residencia card.

In letter from the hospital it states that we definitely need to present the EHIC document within 15 days or we would be liable to pay all medical costs. We wondered if anyone here knew how you go about obtaining an EHIC from Spain as a matter of urgency or indeed whether it can be obtained from here at all as far as UK citizens resident in Spain are concerned. We tried contacting the consulate in Malaga but so far have had no luck

Regards

RobinC
AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND THE EHIC IS ONLY VALID FOR HOLIDAYS NOT FOR RESIDENTS LIVING ABROAD. YOU COULD TRY THE DEPT OF HEALTH OR MAYBE CONTACT A PRIVATE HEALTH INS CO LIKE ADESLAS/ASISA/SANITAS. THEY ARE THE 3 LARGEST IN SPAIN. WISH YOU BOTH WELL. ANNE
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:34 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

This site www.ehic.org.uk tells you how to apply for the card but, as rightly pointed out above, it is only for UK residents and you said that your wife has residencia here in Spain - so technically it doesn't apply.
Unfortunately, if you are not covered under the E106 or E121 (I think the numbers are correct!) and you are not paying social security here in Spain, which would entitle you to free treatment, then you either have to have private health cover or PAYG!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:56 pm
vlc
Just Joined

vlc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I sympathise with your current situation as the rules on E111 and the new card were unclear (as usual with the UK!).

As far as I am aware due to the fact that your wife has Residencia, if you have paid into the Social Security system she should be entitled to a SIP card which will cover your medical needs including medication while in Spain.

Before we received our cards we were told by the Department of Health that the new rules for the EHIC card are that if you are to leave the country (UK) or have already left within a year they will not send out a new card.

Here are some details that might help;

Health Related Travel Advice
---------------------------

Phone: +44 207 210 4850

Open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm (UK time)

I hope this is useful and best wishes to you and your wife.

Regards

David.

Originally Posted by RobinC
Hi

Regards

RobinC
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it the card is holiday cover only. The E 106, which you should have applied for before you left, covers you for about 2 years apparantly. If you are of retirement age you will get free medical cover. If you are not of retirement age then private medical cover is the option.