Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

European City Guides SL

European City Guides SL

Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default European City Guides SL

Has anyone been the victim of these scammers?

I have a friend in the UK who owns a small building business and has been sent a threatening letter stating that he owes over €2.000 for an alleged entry in this guide. I have all the information I need and addresses to write to but I just wondered if anyone has had personal experience.

The company is now based in Valencia having moved from Barcelona as a result of a court case brought against them in which their operation was closed down. I suspect that my friend's name and address were obtained from Banco Santander as when Abbey National were taken over by them he was allocated some shares in this bank. Unfortunately for them a slight error in the address by which Banco Santanter communicates with him has been replicated in the address used by European City Guide. The bank into which the alleged debt is to be paid is also a Valencia branch of Banco Santander. Coincidence?

The company is subject of an ongoing investigation by the OFT in the UK and by the authorities in Valencia and we have written to them both enclosing a copy of the demand. Any information that anyone has would be gratefully received.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European City Guides SL

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Has anyone been the victim of these scammers?

I have a friend in the UK who owns a small building business and has been sent a threatening letter stating that he owes over €2.000 for an alleged entry in this guide. I have all the information I need and addresses to write to but I just wondered if anyone has had personal experience.

The company is now based in Valencia having moved from Barcelona as a result of a court case brought against them in which their operation was closed down. I suspect that my friend's name and address were obtained from Banco Santander as when Abbey National were taken over by them he was allocated some shares in this bank. Unfortunately for them a slight error in the address by which Banco Santanter communicates with him has been replicated in the address used by European City Guide. The bank into which the alleged debt is to be paid is also a Valencia branch of Banco Santander. Coincidence?

The company is subject of an ongoing investigation by the OFT in the UK and by the authorities in Valencia and we have written to them both enclosing a copy of the demand. Any information that anyone has would be gratefully received.
It's why they call it silly season!

I must receive at least ten of these regular as clockwork every August. Always from some 'guide', 'data protection registrar' or Internet based 'search engine'. This trick is as old as the hills. Send a nasty looking demand for services not rendered in August. 50% chance the 'boss' is away, and some secretary will arrange for payment. Job done!

Unfortunately I normally file under 'B' - but I'll keep a look out!!

Some handy tips:
  • If you get something in an official looking brown envelope from the "data protection registration authorities" or similar in the UK, check out the invoice. If they are charging VAT - then it's a fake... data protection fees in the UK fall outside the scope for VAT so it cannot be charged.
  • Some Internet search engines do charge fees - but these are almost without fail taken as pre-payments on-line via a credit card. If you receive an post-payment invoice... it's probably fake.
  • If someone calls up from a domain registrar warning you that someone is trying to register a similar domain name to yours - but if you like you could prevent them doing so for just £80 or whatever - just keep them talking. If you decide that the domain name they are suggesting is genuinely important to you, just register the name whilst you keep them on the phone. Been there, done it, bought the domain for $2.99 before I even put the phone down!!!
  • Beware fake domain renewals from people like "the global domain registry of America", etc, etc. They want to charge you two or four times the price to renew and transfer your domain from your current supplier, and you may lose your web site / email as a result.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my attitude is pretty simple. If you can can demonstrate that I have signed a paper requesting said service, I will happily pay.

If not, ......
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, my attitude is pretty simple. If you can can demonstrate that I have signed a paper requesting said service, I will happily pay.

If not, ......
A few years ago, I received a large invoice from a well known telephone directory - can't mention the name other than it's yellow and it's got pages in it.

I questioned it and they said I'd definately approved my ad. I told them I hadn't. They said I had. I asked them to provide me with evidence, which they duly faxed over. And yes, someone HAD signed it, just not ME! They'd even managed to spell my name wrong

Turns out that the salesperson who had been pestering me to place an ad got fed up with me saying no, they just signed on my behalf anyway... Took months and months to sort out... got loads of threatening letters, wasn't until I started mentioning the word 'fraud' that they backed off.

Anyway, a few months later I happened to be answering yet another sales call. After I explained why hell would have to freeze over first before I placed an ad with them, I was told 'off the record' that they sub out their sales to loads of home workers. Apparently this sort of activity has been known to take place when they get very close but not close enough to a sales target...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the simple thing there is to call up the police. Seriously. I am sure that that comes under the 'obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception.'

I would have done that very quickly. It's attempted theft and that is a criminal offence.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:59 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Those who have paid often receive further demands for money, if you read the small print of the document you will discover that it runs for 3 years, so paying an installment may not be the end of this issue. so dont pay any think
company to watch out for are European City Guide | E.C.G., S.L. | Novachannel AG | Construct Data (The Fair Guide) | TVV Telefax Directory | International Business and Trade Databases | Intercable Verlag AG | IT&T International Fax Directory | UTP Digital Directories | International Medical Information (I.M.I.) | Deutscher Adressdienst GmbH / DAD | EU Company Directory / Euro Business Guide | Easy Pages Ltd. | Expo-Guide | World Business Directory |