Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

European Certificate of Conformity versus Metriculation

European Certificate of Conformity versus Metriculation

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Eurosystem0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default European Certificate of Conformity versus Metriculation

I am in UK and have been offered a car from imported Germany with a European CoC. Does this document eliminate the need for Metriculation to get Spanish plates or would I still have to go through the Spanish mill at considerable cost to import it?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European Certificate of Conformity versus Metriculation

You will still have to register in Spain.

A German friend bought her car from Germany convinced she wouldn't have to register here. I asked another German friend who has been in spain for 15 years. He was in no doubt about it - you have to get the metriculation. He has much experience. She doesn't.

I will see him later and ask for details. If I don't remember to post, PM me a reminder.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:35 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Not only will the CoC be insignificant, but they don't even accept the manufacturer's specifications. You need a Gestor to re-specify the car, it's dimensions, weight, type, engine size, etc. In reality, they just take the manufacturer's specifications and re-write them into their evaluation, but the manufacturer's specs are worthless unless written by a registered technical expert.

When we brought our (standard, unmodified) cars from Germany, they had to be re-spec'd at a cost of about €1000. Then there's the ITV and taxes on top...

I would have thought Spain would just have a look-up database to simply get it all online (like they do in Germany), but no, they treat a non-Spanish registered car as though it's an alien vessel that nobody's ever seen before.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: European Certificate of Conformity versus Metriculation

Originally Posted by Eurosystem0
I am in UK and have been offered a car from imported Germany with a European CoC. Does this document eliminate the need for Metriculation to get Spanish plates or would I still have to go through the Spanish mill at considerable cost to import it?
Matriculation is the process of re registering the car in Spain. The CoC is just the first step we couldn't get one since our Skoda was 14 yrs old and just before VW completed their takeover so it was not on their database the alternative was to use a qualified technical engineer to produce a Ficha Tech this was done by a guy in Malaga 400 km away who never saw the car and charged €150 for a two A4 Spec. This was taken to the ITV station where they checked everything even the height with a spirit level on the roof and a tape to the floor. Even the tyres have to be to manufactures original spec for type and speed rating. They then ITV'd the car and passed it fit. That lot together with road tax plates and a very small import tax cost about €400. So if we had got a CoC it would have saved us about half.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Before we moved here we bought a LHD Land Rover from Germany and kept it in UK for at least 6 months to avoid the tax here. I had the German CoC but in German of course so I paid 120€ for a ficha tecnica from Land Rover Spain in Madrid which was accepted at the matriculation ITV (until they noticed an error Madrid LR had made on the homologation number for that model). LR Madrid corrected it and it was then accepted.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting this. I have a 2005 Merc which has the code on the VIN plate. I've not re registered it yet. Is there anything I can or should get to avoid any high charges as previously mentioned?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

If you imported the car more than 60 days ago and/or purchased it outside Spain less than 6 months before import you will be liable for a 'registration tax' often referred to wrongly as an import tax. This is on a sliding scale according to the age and original value of the car. If it is RHD you will need new headlights dipping the correct way and if the car has only one rear fog light it must be swapped to the left of the car (usually switching with the reversing light). A ficha tecnica should be available from Mercedes Spain if you contact customer services with the VIN or chassis number. The car should be a standard model. They don't like modifications or accessories at the ITV test. A good gestor is important to deal with the paperwork. Ours was first class and very reasonably priced.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

the lights are switched already and I have 2 rear fog lights.

Just confused about the timing re registration tax
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

When did you import it? How long have you owned it? When did you arrive permanently in Spain?

Last edited by rafikiphoto; Aug 4th 2013 at 4:10 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:27 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my UK car over early last year.

I did all the matriculation myself although in the early stages I used a local garage (owned by 2 spaniards who speak german (having lived and worked there) as well as english. But just after they had the car inspected by the ITV engineer the went bust.

So I arranged everything, and found the ITV engineers courteous and knowledgeable. Their criteria is that any car entering the country is treated as a new import, it must meet the original manfacturer's specification as sold in Spain. No go faster mods, additions or alterations - so you have to take these off or it will fail.

Having now matriculated 2 UK cars I stand by my statements above, they are courteous and knowledgeable. Having spoken to the (French) manufacturer of one of the cars there seems to be a rapport between them and regular dialogue.
there is NO special needs or desires or specifications for anyone bringing in a car from outside Spain, so long as that car meets the specn it would have had if originally sold in Spain.

My UK made car passed on everything except the lights which had to be changed as a "matter of safety". I had no arguement with that.
rgds