Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Euro about to crash..?

Euro about to crash..?

Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro about to crash..?

Originally Posted by johncar61
Interesting, the Euro was not introduced as currency until 1st January 2002.
Not sure what Euro you are referring to.
Since you insist on following this rather unimportant point, on 4th May 2000 the Peseta reached a high of 292.63 to the GBP which at the official fixed conversion rate to the Euro of 166.386 is equivalent to 1.76 Euros to the GBP.

Can we please get back to the reality of today's conversion rates.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:43 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting, the Euro was not introduced as currency until 1st January 2002.
Not sure what Euro you are referring to.
Originally Posted by icharus
The Euro was introduced at midnight 1999 in virtual form for none physical payments, ie; bank transfers, travellers cheques etc.
Well as I posted that info at post 83, please excuse me for saying, I know that.
Originally Posted by dmu
And I mentioned it in post 53!
Originally Posted by icharus
Well then why are you asking the question if you already know the answer
You see, this is why I love this forum... priceless.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:48 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since you insist on following this rather unimportant point, on 4th May 2000 the Peseta reached a high of 292.63 to the GBP which at the official fixed conversion rate to the Euro of 166.386 is equivalent to 1.76 Euros to the GBP.

Can we please get back to the reality of today's conversion rates.
Thanks for the post Fred but I think we all knew that.

I asked Dick, why he made his post, about euros, not the value of the peseta which would not have prompted my question. But I guess only he can answer that, but as I say, thanks for trying to answer, even though in wasn't the answer to the question I asked.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:08 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

whatever, the euro certainly isnt "crashing" today is it!!? - well not against sterling 1.15 still

Jo xxx
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:27 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

In the very best spirit of BE; No it isn't its 1.15117 to the Pound, so nerrr!!!

Sorry, only joking, don't want to start anything here !

Yes it seem's to be staying fairly stable, and is unlikely to show significant falls in the short term.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:00 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

More attacks from the British press.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ic-price-crash.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Actually a lot of that article is quite positive about Spain

The government argues that foreign banks and media don't understand Spain and are envious of what they argue are relatively healthy finances. They point out, for instance, that forecast debt to the end of 2010 is only 66% of GDP and that Spanish banks have needed almost no public funds to rescue them.
or even

Moody's has recently reaffirmed its AAA rating, and public debt ratios remain among the lowest in Europe.
I think generally though the journalists are holding fire on criticising the UK situation until the election starts, so are looking elsewhere to do down. Once the election starts however, we're going to be told that the UK is the worst place ever to be living in. It seems only bad news sells
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post Fred but I think we all knew that.

I asked Dick, why he made his post, about euros, not the value of the peseta which would not have prompted my question. But I guess only he can answer that, but as I say, thanks for trying to answer, even though in wasn't the answer to the question I asked.
You didn't seem to know that and I wasn't trying to answer your question.

For the second time will you please get back on topic.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:35 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Steve I read that article with interest, the quote about what the Spanish government says does not mean much to me as I have little faith in their words. After all the banks have millions tied up in the housing market which is not moving, if that market collapses further the vultures will certainly circle above the banks for good pickings.
The article was written by a Spaniard who has a blog in Spanish about all of this. But it is fascinating this appears in a UK paper not a Spanish one.
Also tonight on the Dutch news programme they had an article that the EU give what is best expressed as food parcels to Spain. If I am not mistaken, and my Dutch is not 100% so I may have to stand corrected on this, the food parcels were meant for illegal immigrants to Spain. However there are now distribution centres that are given this food away to what were generally called middle class who have fallen on hard times.

But all of this bashing will force the Euro to fall but when who knows.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:59 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
You didn't seem to know that and I wasn't trying to answer your question.

For the second time will you please get back on topic.
Well if you were not even trying to answering my question, then as I was talking about the euro, in a thread about the Euro, it would seem it was you who was off thread.

But who really cares.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:43 am

But who really cares.
The moderators care about consistent refusal to abide by the site rules despite several warnings.

As a result your posting privileges have been removed for a period of one month.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 16th 2010 at 8:13 am.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Steve I read that article with interest, the quote about what the Spanish government says does not mean much to me as I have little faith in their words. After all the banks have millions tied up in the housing market which is not moving, if that market collapses further the vultures will certainly circle above the banks for good pickings.
The article was written by a Spaniard who has a blog in Spanish about all of this. But it is fascinating this appears in a UK paper not a Spanish one.
Also tonight on the Dutch news programme they had an article that the EU give what is best expressed as food parcels to Spain. If I am not mistaken, and my Dutch is not 100% so I may have to stand corrected on this, the food parcels were meant for illegal immigrants to Spain. However there are now distribution centres that are given this food away to what were generally called middle class who have fallen on hard times.

But all of this bashing will force the Euro to fall but when who knows.
If you want to read what the Spanish press think of the economy pick up a Spanish newspaper, simple. There are plenty of opinions!

Maybe the Dutch TV story was about the number of people who have been fed by charity food centres in Spain. These figures came out yesterday in the Spanish press, apparently they've been feeding over 200,000 people. They were originally set up for real down and outs and illegal immigrants etc but now whole families are going who have fallen on hard times.

This is all paid for by the Spanish Catholic church.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

If anyone wants to know when the pound will fall against the euro I can tell them with certainty it is always about the 10th/11th of each month when i get my pension. This month was no different. It was 1.15+ for a few days before, dropped to 1.13+ for my pension day then two days later goes back to 1.15+.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure it's an "attack", it's merely someone's opinion on the situation. It's a British paper but he's a Spanish professor of economics, so well qualified to comment on Spanish economic affairs. His webpage is worth a read as well, http://nadaesgratis.es/ Another UK based Spanish reporter is this lady, again worth a read. http://blogs.rtve.es/desdelondres/posts

Last edited by agoreira; Feb 16th 2010 at 8:53 am.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Not sure it's an "attack", it's merely someone's opinion on the situation. It's a British paper but he's a Spanish professor of economics, so well qualified to comment on Spanish economic affairs. His webpage is worth a read as well, http://nadaesgratis.es/ Another UK based Spanish reporter is this lady, again worth a read. http://blogs.rtve.es/desdelondres/posts
Interesting stuff. I quite like the latest entry by Anna Bosch ("Cerdos") where she compares the debt levels, budget deficit etc of the so-called "PIGS" grouping of countries. Then she shows the relevant UK figures (which in certain cases is even worse)

"Dempster (Comment 5) takes exception to my use of the term Pigs - the rather unfriendly acronym for the eurozone's problematic periphery (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain). True, it is disrespectful. But you have to let economists have some fun. Maybe you would feel better if I told you the new term that some are using for the economies in trouble if Greece should fall is Stupid (that's Spain, Turkey, UK, Portugal Italy and Dubai). Then again, maybe not."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.