Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Euro about to crash..?

Euro about to crash..?

Old May 13th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Euro about to crash..?

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
seriously, I've neen following the dollar and that seems to be the winner at the moment. Altho its not becasue the US is in a better financial shape, it's just appearing to manage it better!

Jo xx
I'm not sure it's even that. I think it's more a case of what goes down must come up - the dollar dropped so low last year that it almost inevitably had to recover a bit.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
seriously, I've neen following the dollar and that seems to be the winner at the moment. Altho its not becasue the US is in a better financial shape, it's just appearing to manage it better!

Jo xx
Well if European countries didn't have ridiculous cradle to grave entitlement spending you'd be in better financial shape than us
Old May 14th 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

We do manage to save a little money though, because our dogs don't all have to have their own (personal) psychiatrist !

Cheers
Fredthered
Old May 14th 2010, 5:58 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well if European countries didn't have ridiculous cradle to grave entitlement spending you'd be in better financial shape than us
I'm sure!

Jo xxx
Old May 14th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
You obviously know nothing about Spain then! A Spaniard isnt entitled to very much until they get a permanent work contract.

Plus, the USA spends double on healthcare that the average European country, yet has one of the worst healthcare systems in the developed world. Add to that the ridiculous amount it costs to go to college, the low standard of education at public schools, a murder rate and road death rate that is higher then any country in Europe, then I dont think the USA is very perfect. At all.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:42 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I'm not sure it's even that. I think it's more a case of what goes down must come up - the dollar dropped so low last year that it almost inevitably had to recover a bit.
Well there was a time,(before my time), when a dollar was equivalent to 25p.
Hence before decimalisation, half a crown,(now 12.5p),was often still referred to as half a dollar.
Just think about it,...4 dollars to the pound.
Somehow I don't think we'll ever see that again.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to make sense of it, but three years ago I was looking at a house in Florida that was for sale at 200,000 Dollars and the pound bought over two Dollars, with all associated costs the house was going to cost me £95,000. I didn't buy it for personal reasons, mainly.

Last week that same house was for sale at 50,000 Dollars, the pound has fallen sharply since 2007, but not nearly as much as the price of the American house.

I'm thinking of another visit, but have already experienced Homeland security in the US and it's horrendous, especially when flying in from Madrid.
Old May 14th 2010, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's hard to make sense of it, but three years ago I was looking at a house in Florida that was for sale at 200,000 Dollars and the pound bought over two Dollars, with all associated costs the house was going to cost me £95,000. I didn't buy it for personal reasons, mainly.

Last week that same house was for sale at 50,000 Dollars, the pound has fallen sharply since 2007, but not nearly as much as the price of the American house.

I'm thinking of another visit, but have already experienced Homeland security in the US and it's horrendous, especially when flying in from Madrid.
Yes the US property market has seriously crashed outside of the major cities

It may sound horrible, but at $50k I would be worried about the state the neighbourhood would be in, in a few years time. They are already talking about vigilanty zones in cities like Detroit where you get a family house for a few thousand dollars.

There is a enourmous gap in the US between the living standards of those who live in middle class and poor neighbourhoods.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

you're right

a house in the street we used to live in in Florida 7 years ago, which at the time sold for over 250,000 dollars (prices increased a lot & dropped again a couple of times since then) is now on the market for 50k
Old May 14th 2010, 2:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredthered
We do manage to save a little money though, because our dogs don't all have to have their own (personal) psychiatrist !

Cheers
Fredthered
Old May 14th 2010, 5:30 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

House prices have dropped in Florida but I would be interested to see what $50,000 would buy. As in Spain villas with pools in good areas on the Gulf have not suffered as much. Hear Orlando area has dropped more, not suprised as they were building boxes just like on the Costas. Average time to sell a house there is about 54 days last time I heard (this year). About 3 years here Although that could change if the oil arrives on those pristine white gulf beaches

As with the Euro the exchange rate is not so good ($1.45) . Was around $1.95 until a couple of years ago
Old May 14th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 9535martin
You will get a new card sent to your overseas address. I was only talking about openning a flex account while living abroad.
Thanks for your reply
Old May 15th 2010, 6:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
House prices have dropped in Florida but I would be interested to see what $50,000 would buy. As in Spain villas with pools in good areas on the Gulf have not suffered as much. Hear Orlando area has dropped more, not suprised as they were building boxes just like on the Costas. Average time to sell a house there is about 54 days last time I heard (this year). About 3 years here Although that could change if the oil arrives on those pristine white gulf beaches

As with the Euro the exchange rate is not so good ($1.45) . Was around $1.95 until a couple of years ago
this particular one is a triple garage, fully air-con, 4 bed 3 bath, kitchen family room & huuuuuuuuge great room with pool a few mins from Orlando, on a gated community walking distance to an A+ elementary school

as I say - it's the road we used to live in, so I know this particular area well

yes it's an area which was part of a huge building boom, but it's still a really great value for money property
Old May 15th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You obviously know nothing about Spain then! A Spaniard isnt entitled to very much until they get a permanent work contract.

Well I'm now aware that Spain doesn't have much of a welfare system, even educational loans.

Plus, the USA spends double on healthcare that the average European country, yet has one of the worst healthcare systems in the developed world. Add to that the ridiculous amount it costs to go to college, the low standard of education at public schools, a murder rate and road death rate that is higher then any country in Europe, then I dont think the USA is very perfect. At all.
Because the US subsidizes inefficient administration on the part of health insurance companies, lots of lawsuit happy people here as well, lots of expensive, defensive medicine as a result. College costs a lot here depending on the state you go to, Florida's universities, for example, have roughly $4000 a year uni costs for FL residents so I hardly say that's expensive if it's on par with Europe. Yes we have ahigher murder and road death rate but then again, we have 300 million people here compared to less than 60 million for most of your countries, and we have a car dependent culture here so there are more people on the road and that increases the stats of road deaths and accidents, and there is no country that is perfect. Spain isn't perfect, UK isn't perfect. As for a homicide problem here, look at the UK. People still manage to shoot each other dead there despite strict gun control, and people still kill each other in London, Birmingham, and Manchester despite widespread CCTV use, and those cities aren't known to be perfectly safe either.