Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EU Free Movement (ATM), foreign spouse. Anyone have any idea?

EU Free Movement (ATM), foreign spouse. Anyone have any idea?

Old Apr 10th 2017, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Dareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU Free Movement (ATM), foreign spouse. Anyone have any idea?

Hello all.

Wondering is anyone can help / been in a similar situation?

I'm a British citizen, as are my elderly parents. We are all looking to move to Spain before the end of the year (I've previously asked a question on here). It's looking increasingly like we'll be relocating to the Alicante area.

However...

My wife is a non-EEA citizen (from the US). I understand that - at present - she can move with me as part of my right to exercise free movement*, and apply to become a resident in Spain. I've looked into it, and there are several things paperwork-wise that have me a little confused. I'm wondering if there is anyone on this board who has been in a similar situation, and if so, how did they find it? Any advice on how to proceed?

Thank you in advance.

*Obviously Brexit not-withstanding, I'm trying to navigate it without pre-empting what minefield that may incur.
Old May 10th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Liana12433 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EU Free Movement (ATM), foreign spouse. Anyone have any idea?

Hi,
My ituation was similar to yours as my wife is Russian and I exercised the same right. We went to the local Policia Nacional station and we got sent to an office in Burgos for registering foreigners out of the EU. We needed to have a legal letter from the UK embassy saying that they recognized our marriage as it was out of the UK and Russia, this was done. We had to have our wedding cert re legalized and notorised and translated etc. However we were in Madrid and they asked why we needed to have these particular docs and were told that Burgos office requested them, for them it was not needed, different place different docs.
We got it all sorted out within the 90 days of the visa, but were told once you had registered the start of the process there was no problems overstaying the 90 days.
Any further info ask or email me direct at <snip>

Last edited by Rosemary; May 10th 2017 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Due to spammers I have removed your e-mail address.