Reload this Page >

EU citizen wants to rent house in Spain. Administration issues

EU citizen wants to rent house in Spain. Administration issues

Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

imissun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EU citizen wants to rent house in Spain. Administration issues

hey
I wish to rent a house in Spain for 1 year, maybe longer afterwards. I am EU citizen living currently in London/UK.
What kind of documents I need to have to rent a house ?
Would you recommend to hire an agency or look myself ?

thank you in advance
Old Dec 9th 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU citizen wants to rent house in Spain. Administration issues

Best to look yourself, and even then come back 2 or 3 times, the amount of places I looked at where I thought, Ill pay a year up front, well that's not the way to be, even where I am now only when you live there do you find the annoyances. Its a shame unlike a car you can't test drive a home, cos I would still be looking.

All I needed was a passport and had to show money coming in and out, but that was through a proper company, Since being here I found loads of more easy going landlords of which some do not even want a deposit.

Try and find a independent person who has connections and understands what you want, there are some wonderful properties around but I think most agents will just either help their friends or where the bigger commision is.

I have quite a few contacts for properties in Costa Blanca but not where your looking for. My property would be perfect if I had no neighbours, when we looked there was not any, luckily for me for now they are all deaf
Old Dec 9th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imissun
hey
I wish to rent a house in Spain for 1 year, maybe longer afterwards. I am EU citizen living currently in London/UK.
What kind of documents I need to have to rent a house ?
Would you recommend to hire an agency or look myself ?

thank you in advance
Most rental contracts are for 11 months. Landlords are not that bothered about paperwork as long as you have the months deposit and a month in advance. Find your own place as commission from agents is not worth paying. Check the newspaper ads and any websites. It is very easy.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Most rental contracts are for 11 months. Landlords are not that bothered about paperwork as long as you have the months deposit and a month in advance. Find your own place as commission from agents is not worth paying. Check the newspaper ads and any websites. It is very easy.
If they offer you an 11 month contract INSIST that they change it to a LEGAL contract (6 or 12 months) - any thing else isn't worth the paper it's written on!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: EU citizen wants to rent house in Spain. Administration issues

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If they offer you an 11 month contract INSIST that they change it to a LEGAL contract (6 or 12 months) - any thing else isn't worth the paper it's written on!
The legal rental contracts for furnished properties are for 11 months. Any longer and it gives the tenants rights which are not favourable to the landlord. You buy the contracts in the Tobaco shops. It is quite likely that a home produced contract is used and in most cases it is fine. There are not the same problems in Spain as there are in the UK. Don't worry about it as many things are done on a handshake and goodwill. That's what's so nice about life in Spain!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:49 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

The new Law in June 2013 says contracts from 3 to 5years now..
Old Dec 10th 2013, 12:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
The legal rental contracts for furnished properties are for 11 months. Any longer and it gives the tenants rights which are not favourable to the landlord. You buy the contracts in the Tobaco shops. It is quite likely that a home produced contract is used and in most cases it is fine. There are not the same problems in Spain as there are in the UK. Don't worry about it as many things are done on a handshake and goodwill. That's what's so nice about life in Spain!

This is pure fantasy!

The law changed on June 1st this year to allow 6 monthly rentals.

Prior to that the only contract was for 12 months.

Any less than 6 months and it's considered a holiday let.

There are no advantages to either the tenant or the landlord with either a 6 month or a 12 month contract - the LAU is what matters!

As mentioned previously, you have the right to remain for up to 3 years no matter what any contract says.

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.co...p-10-mistakes/ - look at point 5

Security deposits (fianza) are supposed to be 1 month for unrented and 2 months for rented property - anything more and that's between you and the landlord.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

ok, so all I need is a passport and a Spanish bank account right ?
how to open it in Spain, can I open it in UK's branch in Spain ?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

You'll need to open it here.

For example, Barclays or Santander in UK is NOT the same as in Spain.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:43 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
This is pure fantasy!

The law changed on June 1st this year to allow 6 monthly rentals.

Prior to that the only contract was for 12 months.

Any less than 6 months and it's considered a holiday let.

There are no advantages to either the tenant or the landlord with either a 6 month or a 12 month contract - the LAU is what matters!

As mentioned previously, you have the right to remain for up to 3 years no matter what any contract says.

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.co...p-10-mistakes/ - look at point 5

Security deposits (fianza) are supposed to be 1 month for unrented and 2 months for rented property - anything more and that's between you and the landlord.
I looked at 5 and it said 11months to 5 years contracts..
Old Dec 14th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

for renting - just a passport.

You can open some accounts by email, you just have to go and sign the forms when you pick the cards up. Might be better to do that than 2 trips, they ask you to sign copies of the forms and do the originals with bank staff,.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 3:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
I looked at 5 and it said 11months to 5 years contracts..
Doh!

What it says is -

"Eleven month contracts are short-term and watertight. Erm, I’m afraid not."

So NO, they are not legal.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

ok,
can we get back to question
how to open account in Spanish bank, living in London currently ?
if anyone could help or direct to some information - I'd appreciate

thanks in advance
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did mine by email but that was back in 2006, things have advanced, I would just choose a bank and apply online.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 5:48 am
Retired and loving it!

ok,
can we get back to question
how to open account in Spanish bank, living in London currently ?
if anyone could help or direct to some information - I'd appreciate

thanks in advance
I'm not sure that I understand - you've had the answer.

As far as I am aware - you MUST do it in person now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.