British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ethernet components (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ethernet-components-913698/)

Sue and Barry Jun 7th 2018 8:27 pm

Ethernet components

Hi, does anyone know where Barry can buy Ethernet components in or near Ayamonte please? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Sue

Jon-Bxl Jun 8th 2018 1:44 am

Re: Ethernet components

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry (Post 12512367)
Hi, does anyone know where Barry can buy Ethernet components in or near Ayamonte please? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Sue

Hi Sue

Errrrr what is an 'Ethernet component' please?

I buy ''gadgety stuff' from ebay / amazon. Once we get a parcel delivery pick up point in CE that will really help. On the resto thread we hear that the new 19h may be able to offer that service shortly. I hope so
Jon

JeanMichel Jun 8th 2018 7:55 am

You could try "App" shop in calle Huelva, "Antenas del Guadiana" opposite the big parking by the river, and also the Chinese shop nearby the traffic light.

https://www.google.es/maps/uv?hl=fr&...BbQQoioIigEwCg

MikeJ Jun 8th 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JeanMichel (Post 12512589)
You could try "App" shop in calle Huelva, "Antenas del Guadiana" opposite the big parking by the river, and also the Chinese shop nearby the traffic light.

Don't buy electrical components from the Chinese shops, I'm afraid they are unlikely to meet any standard and be safe.
Don't know how far from Ayamonte you want to look. I bought Cat5 cable (15m) in Carrefour and an Ethernet (non wifi) router in Wortan in the plaza at the Plaza Tavira. Not sure where you would get smaller components. I hardwired my Priinet router direct into my TV's Ethernet port.

bitmanev Jun 8th 2018 11:37 am

close to the fish market is an TV, radio electrical store they might have some UTP cables, router, switch etc

EsuriJohn Jun 8th 2018 6:53 pm

Try Waylon James he has the computer shop just by the pelican crossing opposite the marina.

Sue and Barry Jun 8th 2018 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12512491)
Hi Sue

Errrrr what is an 'Ethernet component' please?

I buy ''gadgety stuff' from ebay / amazon. Once we get a parcel delivery pick up point in CE that will really help. On the resto thread we hear that the new 19h may be able to offer that service shortly. I hope so
Jon

Hi Jon

As far as I know it has something to do with powering cctv cameras/computers, but I could be wrong! An Amazon pick up point locally would be a great help.

Sue

Sue and Barry Jun 8th 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by JeanMichel (Post 12512589)

Thank you for your help.

Sue and Barry Jun 8th 2018 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12512625)
Don't buy electrical components from the Chinese shops, I'm afraid they are unlikely to meet any standard and be safe.
Don't know how far from Ayamonte you want to look. I bought Cat5 cable (15m) in Carrefour and an Ethernet (non wifi) router in Wortan in the plaza at the Plaza Tavira. Not sure where you would get smaller components. I hardwired my Priinet router direct into my TV's Ethernet port.

Thank you MikeJ. Definitely agree with you about electrical components/Chinese shop! We were thinking of visiting Worton at the Plaza Tavira. Sounds promising.

Sue and Barry Jun 8th 2018 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12512890)
Try Waylon James he has the computer shop just by the pelican crossing opposite the marina.

Thank you, too, EsuriJohn.

Sue and Barry Jun 8th 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by bitmanev (Post 12512660)
close to the fish market is an TV, radio electrical store they might have some UTP cables, router, switch etc

Many thanks, we will,check it out

MikeJ Jun 8th 2018 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sue and Barry (Post 12512937)

Hi Jon

As far as I know it has something to do with powering cctv cameras/computers, but I could be wrong! An Amazon pick up point locally would be a great help.

Sue

Ethernet is the link layer of a communications stack and is the protocol for connecting computers on a local area network, LAN. It predates WiFi and is most commonly used on wire (UTP - unscreened twisted pair, Cat5 or Cat6) or fibre optic. The primary components are: ethernet adaptors (in the computer); ethernet cable; routers and hubs. Ethernet can currently deliver 400Gbs and soon 1000Gbs over fibre and higher bandwidth and is therefore preferred for data streaming services like TV.

Jon-Bxl Jun 9th 2018 6:27 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12512625)

Hi Mike
I understand that its best to hardwire especially if streaming HD vs doing it via WiFi. I use my laptop connected to the TV and I have a long cable which connects to a port on the Priinet router and the pc.. Our tablets only have WiFi connectivity. However if Priinet is working well we stream just fine over wi-fi.

In the past you've helped us with 'mifi' (I think its called that) using a Zoom router.

So why would you buy a non WiFi router, when you already have several ports to hardwire from the Priinet router and also your zoom router, please? I just wanted to see if Ive missed something.

I also second you re Chinese shops - never buy any electrical stuff from them, or most tools. I bought an extension lead with 4 sockets.Thank goodness I was at home when it caught alight behind a wooden sideboard! The fuses didnt trip either.

I bought some wooden hangers and came back after 3 months to find the closet covered in yellow spores coming from the join in the wood. It stunk! Luckily all the clothes washed out in the washing machine (several loads) and vinegar cleaned out the woodwork.

Ugh!!
Jon

MikeJ Jun 9th 2018 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12513107)
Hi Mike
I understand that its best to hardwire especially if streaming HD vs doing it via WiFi. I use my laptop connected to the TV and I have a long cable which connects to a port on the Priinet router and the pc.. Our tablets only have WiFi connectivity. However if Priinet is working well we stream just fine over wi-fi.

In the past you've helped us with 'mifi' (I think its called that) using a Zoom router.

So why would you buy a non WiFi router, when you already have several ports to hardwire from the Priinet router and also your zoom router, please? I just wanted to see if Ive missed something.

I also second you re Chinese shops - never buy any electrical stuff from them, or most tools. I bought an extension lead with 4 sockets.Thank goodness I was at home when it caught alight behind a wooden sideboard! The fuses didnt trip either.

I bought some wooden hangers and came back after 3 months to find the closet covered in yellow spores coming from the join in the wood. It stunk! Luckily all the clothes washed out in the washing machine (several loads) and vinegar cleaned out the woodwork.

Ugh!!
Jon

My house used to be a network of ethernet cables - until wifi routers began to deliver reasonable throughput. I have downsized considerably since those days and now have a cardboard box full of old hubs & routers :lol:

Jon-Bxl Jun 10th 2018 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12513119)
My house used to be a network of ethernet cables - until wifi routers began to deliver reasonable throughput. I have downsized considerably since those days and now have a cardboard box full of old hubs & routers :lol:

Now I am more confused as to why you bought a non wi-fi router at Worten, Tavira. Lets discuss this over a 🍺! See you soon
Jon