Estufas

Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future
Default Estufas

Does anyone out there own a 'catalytic' estufa? My old ceramic one has given up the ghost so I bought a catalytic one to replace it. However after lighting it and waiting a few minutes it was hardly putting out any heat and the 'grid' was not glowing at all. When I took it back to the Ferreteria they told me that catalytic estufas DON'T glow at all. Is this right? My only experience with them is from one I had in a campervan and that most definitely did glow. I've got my money back but don't know wether to buy another one or stick to a ceramic one. Any advice?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estufas

Originally Posted by raddickle
Does anyone out there own a 'catalytic' estufa? My old ceramic one has given up the ghost so I bought a catalytic one to replace it. However after lighting it and waiting a few minutes it was hardly putting out any heat and the 'grid' was not glowing at all. When I took it back to the Ferreteria they told me that catalytic estufas DON'T glow at all. Is this right? My only experience with them is from one I had in a campervan and that most definitely did glow. I've got my money back but don't know wether to buy another one or stick to a ceramic one. Any advice?
Sounds like the one we have. No glow and takes about 5 minutes to start kicking out heat, then it's fine. You need to hold the button in for a few seconds after it lights, then the flame leaps over front a few times before it settles!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
... they told me that catalytic estufas DON'T glow at all. Is this right?
Yes, they are correct. I hope you've installed a carbon monoxide alarm, too.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:58 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't glow. They are like a gas radiator.

We have two and they are fine after a few minutes. Plenty of heat.

Ours have a sensor and switch themselves off if there is too much CO in the air (although it's never switched off, that's what it says on the instructions!).

But we do have a CO alarm anyway as well as several smoke alarms.