Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Estepona or San Pedro

Estepona or San Pedro

Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice
Default Estepona or San Pedro

It fascinates me how everyone has a different view on where they think is the best place to live. A conversation started up regarding which town they would choose to live if they were
a young minded early 50s, divorced woman, who doesn't want to take up golf, not into sitting in bars drinking but would like to meet new friends, join activities, trips out, photography, chats/coffee. Not actively looking but open to the idea of meeting a nice man.
I said that Estepona seems very big to meet new people for a woman on her own. You can live in big town and meet nobody, whereas I would have thought a smaller place would be easier. However, the voting was very close, 5 for one and 4 for the other, which brings me to the forum. I know it is very hard to choose a place to live if you haven't actually lived there, and a lot different than a holiday but if you can try just for curiousities sake
So given the choice of these two places (no others) Which gets your vote and why, Estepona or San Pedro? bearing in mind the womans criteria.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Estepona or San Pedro

I like both, but I think Estepona is very much a family oriented Spanish town. It has a great beach and a boardwalk, which is packed with kids on a Sunday afternoon. But, I don't think it's suitable for a single woman in her early 50s.

I think San Pedro has a lot more opportunities, maybe not in the town, but because it is closer to a lot of the action. The advantage of San Pedro is that it has a small town feel to it, yet Puerto Banus is really close by and really even if you don't want to go drinking, you can spend a great afternoon just having a coffee on the marina or popping into Terra Sana for a meal. Then there's the Passion Cafe in San Pedro itself which is a popular spot for meetups.

http://passioncafe.eu/index.html

My vote would be for San Pedro.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

i like both - Estepona is a nice town - great in the evening with lots of families out and about, giving the place a safe feel - also has a nice beach and promenade. San Pedro has the feel of a smaller town - the construction of the by-pass at the moment makes it very dusty in places and sometimes hard work to get around - but eventually this will be finished

we have a house in Estepona (so we chose Estepona), but visit San Pedro often (our bank is there) and have previously stayed in san Pedro, whilst we were looking to buy - both places in my opinion have a nice feel
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tolly
i like both - Estepona is a nice town - great in the evening with lots of families out and about, giving the place a safe feel - also has a nice beach and promenade. San Pedro has the feel of a smaller town - the construction of the by-pass at the moment makes it very dusty in places and sometimes hard work to get around - but eventually this will be finished

we have a house in Estepona (so we chose Estepona), but visit San Pedro often (our bank is there) and have previously stayed in san Pedro, whilst we were looking to buy - both places in my opinion have a nice feel
Ah but the question is, which do you think is the best place out of the two for this woman to live? I see from your profile that you are a female and you have lived in both places, so in your opinion, which should she choose?

Last edited by lovethesun; Mar 19th 2011 at 11:22 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:24 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely san pedro for your criteria
Old Mar 20th 2011, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Ah but the question is, which do you think is the best place out of the two for this woman to live? I see from your profile that you are a female and you have lived in both places, so in your opinion, which should she choose?
Personally, I would go for Estepona - there are a lot of clubs/activities that you can join in (walking, photography, dancing etc), there are also some charities you can also get involved with if you want, and there are a fair mix of nationalities.

There may be same/similar in San Pedro - but it has always struck me as more of a small Spanish working town, whereas Estepona has a bit more of a relaxed feel to it - when we were looking for a home - Estepona just "felt" right - difficult to define what that is - and i guess it is different for everyone
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Update, I have chosen Estepona
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Update, I have chosen Estepona
Good for you, I hope it works out and you are happy there.

Graham
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, if anyone lives in Estepona and would like to meet up and show me around send me a PM.