British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Estepona - oil worker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/estepona-oil-worker-921859/)

StublueKPL Feb 7th 2019 4:18 pm

Estepona - oil worker

Hello all.

recently moved to estepona (lived in Dubai many years but quit last year and was back in Glasgow for a short period)

Just need a quick clarification regarding tax. I believe only if you are in spain over 180 days then you are liable to Spanish income tax. Is this correct? I have a NIE but would only be taking residency if required (renting accommodation as well)

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

missile Feb 7th 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Estepona - oil worker

Hi,
Legally you are required to register and pay tax wherever you are domiciled. The rules are simple, but you might want to get proper advice to limit your liability. As you may have seen in the news(?) Spain are handing out prison sentences and hefty fines to those who have been caught evading their tax liability.

Fred James Feb 7th 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 12633846)
Hello all.

recently moved to estepona (lived in Dubai many years but quit last year and was back in Glasgow for a short period)

Just need a quick clarification regarding tax. I believe only if you are in spain over 180 days then you are liable to Spanish income tax. Is this correct? I have a NIE but would only be taking residency if required (renting accommodation as well)

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Correct, but it isn’t always as simple as just 183 days. Often, with offshore workers or people working abroad, for example, their wife and family have their permanent residence in Spain and that can qualify you as tax resident even though you do not meet the 183 day rule.

Patrick2976 Feb 13th 2019 11:13 am

The above is very true. It is known as your 'centre of vital interests'. So even if (like many oil workers, airline pilots etc...) you are not in the country 183 days - the tax authority may deem you resident for tax purposes if your family live here. In previous years many would exist 'under the radar' but with the arrival of the 'common reporting standard' (the sharing of personal tax and financial information between different countries) this has become more difficult. It is particularly dangerous in Spain due to the modelo 720 overseas asset declaration law - which if applicable to an individual who has not declared and is deemed to be tax resident can result in serious fines. Just by way of warning ;-)
Otherwise Spain is fantastic place to live!

1sexsmith Feb 13th 2019 1:33 pm

Yes and the authorities are now using access to energy providers to locate individuals who are under investigation for avoidance by checking their consumption of electricity to ascertain if they have been living longer periods than they claimed.