Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Estepona - Manilva - Sabinillas

Estepona - Manilva - Sabinillas

Old Feb 3rd 2015, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

sylina_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Estepona - Manilva - Sabinillas

Hi I am new to this forum so if I have posted in the wrong area I am sorry.

My partner is in the process of securing work on Gibraltar. We have researched and the furthest commute he wants to do is to Estepona.

Can someone help me please. Is Estepona the best area to go or would we be equally as happy nearer to Gibraltar. We have also been looking at Manilva but whilst we find good reviews about Estepona there is no information on Manilva.

Where are the best beaches (although this is only minor) The main thing is being able to introduce our son into a different culture and us having a change in lifestyle.

It is all very daunting so any information at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estepona - Manilva - Sabinillas

Hi

Two questions first how long a commute does your partner want?

How old is your son? does he require schooling?

Manilva or Sabinillas on the coast is a nice area and a genuine 30 minutes commute.

Estepona again nice but a little further away.

Torreguadiaro a little nearer and smaller but probably the last coastal town with amenities before the slums of La Linea.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Fred's pretty much summed it up for the area

If introducing your son to a different culture is the main criteria...head to Estepona but it would add 15-20 minutes to the commute.

If you want the nicest beaches then head to Manilva but you will have far more opportunities to brush up on your Spanish conversation in Camden Town than you would on Manilva's coast.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to both of you for your help. At the moment he commutes to the outskirts of London from Southend on sea. It is supposed to take 40 mins but sometimes ends up taking 2 hours so anything better than that would be a plus.

My son is three and a half years old, I think I am favouring Manilva for the first 6 months, this would get him used to a new country, however I do want to experience Spain so would probably move to Estepona once we are settled in the country.

So if I am looking at Manilva to start with, is it safe and are schools easy to get into to.

Thank you both for your help your advice and information is invaluable.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sylina_c

So if I am looking at Manilva to start with, is it safe and are schools easy to get into to.
Despite the recent increase in burglaries on the costa, I would definitely classify it as safe. Can't say for the schools but I have not heard of anyone having problems getting their children into schools
Old Feb 4th 2015, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience of children or schooling ( well not in the last 50 years ) but I did live at Casares Golf 3 years ago for a few months whilst moving homes.

Enjoyed my time in the area and never had any problems.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Ok well thank you anyway, i am hoping to find some information out regarding the schools in march as we are taking a sort trip for a few days to have a look round manilva and a couple others, as that is obviously one of our main concerns making sure our son is happy and in a good school!!!

thanks again.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

time4tea is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend the Manilva area. I lived in Duquesa a couple of years ago and loved it, it's easy to get to Gib' to the West and the shopping areas and nightlife of Estepona and Marbella to the East. Due to the large developments of apartment blocks built around the area in the boom of the 2000s, there is a good property supply meaning that rents can be very reasonable and there is a very good English community, especially if you go down to the local marina (La Duquesa) where all the bars and restaurants are either English run or speak English by default. I don't know too much about schools but has a friend with young children who said Estepona was very good for them so you would be wise to be in Manilva/Sabinillas where you will be in the middle of the commute to Gib' and the schools for your son.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

We've been in Manilva for a year now, having spent 6 years in Marbella and then London before that.

It's quite a change! Very quiet, very incestuous but lovely all the same. Duquesa Port is virtually 100% English expats. Sabinillas is pretty much Spanish/South American. We're up in Manilva pueblo itself which is virtually all Spanish. We also have a 3 1/2 year old and you have the choice of three schools here (all within a few minutes drive). We wanted to be in the village so we could walk him to school, walk to shops and generally integrate in the society better - school is great for that. It's not the most welcoming of places but property is much cheaper, you're closer to the toll-road so commuting links are better and it's still only a few minutes drive down to the beach. The local school in the village is superb and we get a great feeling from it
Old Feb 13th 2015, 12:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be a lot of Irish people around La Duquesa - and a massive Irish pub. Has that changed?