British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Establishing residency in Spain with no income but plenty of assets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/establishing-residency-spain-no-income-but-plenty-assets-918875/)

MaraBuckley Nov 1st 2018 6:37 am

Establishing residency in Spain with no income but plenty of assets

My husband (British, Australian, American citizen) owns a house in Mallorca where we are hoping to establish residency at in order to get my EEA Family Visa (I am an American citizen). He has left his job to care for his ailing mother in England, and I work as a waitress in the U.S. Although our combined income at the moment is around $35,000, his house in Mallorca is worth 500,000 euro. He also owns properties in the U.S., Australia and England. Would our assets be acceptable in leu of steady income if we were to apply for an EEA Family Permit in Spain?

snikpoh Nov 1st 2018 8:29 am

Re: Establishing residency in Spain with no income but plenty of assets

Presumably those properties are generating income via rent?

If not, do you have cash in the bank. You need some money to live on.

The requirements are not just income but income and/or savings.

Moses2013 Nov 1st 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by MaraBuckley (Post 12586067)
My husband (British, Australian, American citizen) owns a house in Mallorca where we are hoping to establish residency at in order to get my EEA Family Visa (I am an American citizen). He has left his job to care for his ailing mother in England, and I work as a waitress in the U.S. Although our combined income at the moment is around $35,000, his house in Mallorca is worth 500,000 euro. He also owns properties in the U.S., Australia and England. Would our assets be acceptable in leu of steady income if we were to apply for an EEA Family Permit in Spain?

There is no real official figure but this is a good guide: Your financial sources must be evaluated by the Spanish system to confirm that you will not require Public Social/Health Assistance. The evaluation of the adequacy of your financial resources will be made individually and taking into account your personal and family situation. Every year, the Law of the General Public Budget (“Ley de Presupuestos Generales del Estado”) establishes the annual minimum for one to be considered “with sufficient resources.” For 2015 the minimum amount was around € 6,000 / year and person

Apart from the visa application, I don't think you have to worry about money if you have multiple properties. Worst case, just sell one. Of course if the house is worth 500K and you still owe the bank 600K, that will be a different problem:-).

Johncarzx Nov 1st 2018 9:27 am

A strange post for a public forum but not uncommon. You could get lots of different conflicting advice on this. The proper place for advice is a Spanish Consulate. At the moment your British husband has right of free movement throughout the EU. For him to gain residency (registered on the foreign register) should be fairly straight forward. Yes they may ask to see some proof of income and medical care provision. Despite all the made up figures banded about, the figure is quite low and cannot be more than what the Spanish government declares as the poverty threshold to its own citizens. You must be currently living of something, unless you have found Paradise where everything is free, so a few bank statements will probably do for him. Of course if or whenever BREXIT comes into force his status may change, having the hobby of gaining citizenship's around the world will be of no benefit.

You the wife will have to go through the non EU family visa and residency procedure. The visa is fairly simple but the residency can be more testing, depending on the official dealing with it. Also if you use an agent to do your residency they have a habit of making things up and asking for the kitchen sink. The same income threshold applies; you do not have to be George Soros.

Fred James Nov 1st 2018 10:57 am

The residency law details what financial information is acceptable.

Accreditation of the possession of sufficient resources, whether by periodic income, including work or other income, or by the possession of an estate, shall be carried out by any means of proof admitted by law, such as property titles, certified checks , documentation justifying obtaining capital income or credit cards, providing in the latter case an updated bank certification that credits the amount available as credit of the aforementioned card.

Lmj2018 Nov 1st 2018 2:01 pm

An investment of €500,000 in real estate will gain family residency. The Spanish investor visa can be renewed every two years. After five years it is possible to gain permanent residency and after ten years citizenship. It is not necessary to live in Spain in order to retain and renew the residency visa permit.

may be of help?

Moses2013 Nov 1st 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lmj2018 (Post 12586297)
An investment of €500,000 in real estate will gain family residency. The Spanish investor visa can be renewed every two years. After five years it is possible to gain permanent residency and after ten years citizenship. It is not necessary to live in Spain in order to retain and renew the residency visa permit.

may be of help?

Good point: Depends on date, but another option.

5. Is this proposal retro-active? I already have invested €500,000 (or more) in Spanish real estate. Can I still qualify?

No, sadly you cannot. The law came into force on the following day of being published in Spain’s Official Law Gazette (B.O.E.) which was on the 28th of September 2013. Any investment made prior to the said date will not qualify for the purposes of Law 14/2013.

MaraBuckley Nov 1st 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12586118)
There is no real official figure but this is a good guide: Your financial sources must be evaluated by the Spanish system to confirm that you will not require Public Social/Health Assistance. The evaluation of the adequacy of your financial resources will be made individually and taking into account your personal and family situation. Every year, the Law of the General Public Budget (“Ley de Presupuestos Generales del Estado”) establishes the annual minimum for one to be considered “with sufficient resources.” For 2015 the minimum amount was around € 6,000 / year and person

Apart from the visa application, I don't think you have to worry about money if you have multiple properties. Worst case, just sell one. Of course if the house is worth 500K and you still owe the bank 600K, that will be a different problem:-).

We own all our properties outright with no mortage on any of them.
Wow! Only 6,000 per year?! That shouldn't be a problem.
Thank you for the information.

MaraBuckley Nov 1st 2018 4:58 pm

I'm new to this site. Is there a better forum to post questions of this nature?

BritInParis Nov 1st 2018 6:48 pm

Are you attempting the Surinder Singh route? Is your husband actually intending to live with you in Spain or will he remain in the UK with his mother?

Opinion Nov 1st 2018 9:22 pm

I'd love to be a waiter with a wife that owned property around the world! Stress-free bliss!

MaraBuckley Nov 2nd 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12586469)
Are you attempting the Surinder Singh route? Is your husband actually intending to live with you in Spain or will he remain in the UK with his mother?

We are considering the Surinder Singh route but we are planning to sell one of our properties in the US which will give us plenty of money to qualify for the regular UK Family Visa. Yes, my husband is planning on staying in the UK for the next couple of years and I'd like to join him there to be closer to my children. I have 2 children from a previous marriage and they will be moving to Belfast with their father. My children have American, British and Irish citizenship. I was thinking the EU Family Visa might be better for me so I can easily travel around the EU with them including spending at least 3 months a year at our house in Spain.

BritInParis Nov 2nd 2018 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MaraBuckley (Post 12586765)
We are considering the Surinder Singh route but we are planning to sell one of our properties in the US which will give us plenty of money to qualify for the regular UK Family Visa. Yes, my husband is planning on staying in the UK for the next couple of years and I'd like to join him there to be closer to my children. I have 2 children from a previous marriage and they will be moving to Belfast with their father. My children have American, British and Irish citizenship. I was thinking the EU Family Visa might be better for me so I can easily travel around the EU with them including spending at least 3 months a year at our house in Spain.

If your husband intends to live in the UK then you won’t be able to live without him in Spain as the spouse of an EEA citizen and you certainly won’t be able to go down the Surinder Singh route. If you are going to sell a property in order to meet the financial requirements for a UK spouse visa I’m confused as to why you are even considering trying to move to Spain? As a US citizen you are able to visit anywhere in the EU without a visa.

Johncarzx Nov 3rd 2018 10:45 am

So you want a regular UK Family Visa and an EU Family Visa. Your husband is staying in the UK for the next few years. You want to go on holiday to Spain for at least 3 months a year. You both want to establish Spanish residency but will mainly be living and residing elsewhere. Currently both your nationalities allow you to travel throughout the EU Visa free. You own properties mortgage free throughout the world but are skint. You are a US citizen and your husband has multiple citizenship's. Your children from a previous marriage also have multiple citizenship's.

Is your main family hobby visas and multiple citizenship's?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4db2388c3a.jpg

What Visa do you want today.

MaraBuckley Nov 3rd 2018 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12586769)
If your husband intends to live in the UK then you won’t be able to live without him in Spain as the spouse of an EEA citizen and you certainly won’t be able to go down the Surinder Singh route. If you are going to sell a property in order to meet the financial requirements for a UK spouse visa I’m confused as to why you are even considering trying to move to Spain? As a US citizen you are able to visit anywhere in the EU without a visa.

The reason I was considering getting an EU Family Visa first is because I would have to apply for the UK Family Visa while still in the US. That would take 6-9 months (according to the UK government site) and send in my US Passport, meaning I wouldn't get to see my husband or children during that time. Also, we can meet the financial requirements for the UK visa after we sell the house I'm currently living in. If it takes several months for the sale to go through and THEN apply for the UK Visa once we have the funds it means I'm stuck in the US for a whole year while my children and husband are in the UK. I can apply for the EU Visa while in Spain being much closer to my family and it should only take 3 months. My husband will be able to come to Spain while we establish residency but the long term goal is to be close to my kids in Belfast and his mom in Cambridge.