Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Esperanza Aguirre resigns

Esperanza Aguirre resigns

Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Esperanza Aguirre resigns

Shock announcement from the Madrid President.

Don't know the reason yet, but it could well be health related.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Esperanza Aguirre resigns

Hideous person, hideous politician

But got balls of steel, can admire her for that. Like a more glamorous version of Thatcher
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:33 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed down to health issues, to be precise, the big C

Spanish article
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2012/09/...20_376170.html

She made a lot of enemies on the left, but was widely regarded as one of the most able PP politicians in Spain. Many wondered why she never became leader in place of Rajoy.

Short Article now available in English

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/09/17/...90_905274.html
Old Sep 17th 2012, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, she said her cancer (from last year) "influenced" her decision

EA isnt someone who would let go of power easily. Maybe she was being a little too outspoken and Rajoy felt threatened..
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Funny, the biggest news actually about Spain (and not about the UK) for some time - and hardly any comments

Thank goodness British people aren't allowed to vote in Spanish national elections!

How about those Conservatives ey, and Kates breasts, they were an eyeful. What's Rooney been up to recently?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:25 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is nothing like a spanish politics thread to shut 'em up Another few posts and we'll be discussing Thatcher

Something funny about "resigning" now, perhaps she is leaving a sinking ship
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yes there is nothing like a spanish politics thread to shut 'em up Another few posts and we'll be discussing Thatcher
It's not only me that is making the Thatcher link

http://blogs.elpais.com/entre-moquet...-un-aviso.html

Please note, that I made the comparison first
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:47 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well, she said her cancer (from last year) "influenced" her decision

EA isnt someone who would let go of power easily. Maybe she was being a little too outspoken and Rajoy felt threatened..
that is what is stopped her from becoming a viable threat to Rajoy

he will miss having her experience and guts behind him though
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Funny, the biggest news actually about Spain (and not about the UK) for some time - and hardly any comments

Thank goodness British people aren't allowed to vote in Spanish national elections!

How about those Conservatives ey, and Kates breasts, they were an eyeful. What's Rooney been up to recently?
Well yes.
When the news first broke, most people who know about Spanish political affairs thought it would be a health thing. I understand she's already had treatment for breast cancer.
As for the Thatcher link, I was told back in 2005 (or was it 2006) by someone I taught there, that she was regarded as the Spanish Iron Lady. Because she's been successful on the political arena she's as hated by the left in Spain, as Thatcher was in the UK. But to my knowledge she wasn't involved in closing any coal mines...
http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...guirre-resigns

A more critical (but detailed) article on Esperanza. Its very one-sided though - it doesn't mention the 8 new hospitals, nor the 87 news state schools built during her time as boss, still less the 70+ new metro stations.
http://iberosphere.com/2012/05/esper...spainnews/6300

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 17th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Hideous person, hideous politician
I tend to agree - but did feel an unexpected wave of compassion for her when I read the story - I first saw the news on twitter and thought it was a joke.

Once upon a time I swear I saw a photo of her with an apple in her mouth. It was amusing (I thought of a pig) but not quite as shocking as the photos of her in those knee-length white socks - just after that terrorist incident in Bombay. You'd never have caught Thatcher in those.

I've looked many times since for that apple photo but without luck. If anyone can find a link to it I'd be most grateful.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Something funny about "resigning" now, perhaps she is leaving a sinking ship
Funnily enough that's what was sent to me by a Spanish guy, with a link to the news.
Las ratas son las primeras que abandonan el barco antes de hundirse
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought, once I realised it wasn't a joke, was that she wants a pop at the leadership.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:08 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I remember Aznar stepping down as PP leader prior to the election (the PP were widely expected to win that one, until they messed up their response to the Madrid terror bombings). Zapatero also stepped down prior to the last election, but in his case it's because he'd left such a mess in the economy.
Consequently I'm inclined to take at face value the reasons for her going, especially as EA has already suffered from cancer (and we don't have the full medical report in front of us). Perhaps we should accept that she feels Father Time is telling her to slow down? It's hardly the worse time for Madrid under her term - she had just pulled off the Eurovegas agreement and beaten Barcelona in the process. Shares of various construction companies and banks zoomed after that news. Plenty of other investment going on in Madrid too - just take a look at this Twitter stream https://twitter.com/EduGonzalezL
The question will be, can the PSOE regain control of Madrid from the PP?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wonder if the woman who threw the Tupper feels guilty?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that the biggest news about Spain isnt covered by the online versions of Mail, Express, Telegraph as of this morning. Even BBC World News online hadnt mentioned it. So it really hits the front pages doesnt it (not). Although it did hit the Buenos Aires News yesterday afternoon, but not part of my normal reading material.

And as an Englishman I should be able to vote and influence anything and everything anywhere in the world. Must talk to the Equal Rights fluffy bunnies about that and get it changed immediately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.