British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   escaping the british winter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/escaping-british-winter-928922/)

julie.giloney Oct 29th 2019 11:14 am

escaping the british winter

Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.

I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.

Hopefully some of you may have some tips for me.
Thank you

snikpoh Oct 29th 2019 12:16 pm

Re: escaping the british winter

Originally Posted by julie.giloney (Post 12755673)
Hello
My name is Julie and I am new to this forum, I currently live in the north east of England and I will shortly be retiring and I am interested in living abroad for the winter months to escape the cold and wet weather.

I would just like to get some tips on how to enjoy these months abroad as I have heard a few horror stories of being isolated and lonely when people arrive in resorts that have closed down for the winter.
I am really looking forward to being able to be as active abroad in the winter months as I am here (weather permitting) and meeting like minded people would be great.

Thank you

I think you've hit the nail on the head - choose somewhere that does NOT close for the winter. Perhaps make a visit this winter to see what suites you best.

Just remember, after Brexit, it must be no more than 90 days (not the whole winter)

Moses2013 Oct 29th 2019 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by julie.giloney (Post 12755673)
Hello

Thank you

I suppose that's the question and will you be living or visiting if it's only really a few months? It's very easy to just book short term lets (hotels, apartments) online and you don't have to worry about anything.
If you like it you stay and otherwise you just move on.

el collado kid Oct 29th 2019 1:46 pm

Hi julie. We live a little inland and our area hardly changes at all through the winter.Just to let you know it's 27d today, oh forgot to say you would need a car and you are a 15, 20 to main coastal towns and the sea. I would agree that if you are only coming for a few months i would rent to.:shades_smile:

missile Oct 29th 2019 5:21 pm

Do not believe scare stories.

tebo53 Oct 29th 2019 9:42 pm

Benidorm never really closes all year round :thumb:
and there are bargains to be had at all the major hotels and holiday apartments. Many retirees spend the winter months here in long term lets and are welcomed as part of the community. There are hundreds of bars owned and ran by British Expats that are open throughout the winter period where friendships are often made.

Steve

dfjordan Oct 29th 2019 11:17 pm

I would suggest you look farther afield than Spain if you want warmth during the European winter. As those living in Spain know, whilst it may be warm during the day, the nights are not. What about New Zealand for example ? It’s the summer there when it’s winter in the UK. There’s no language problem, lovely unspoiled beaches and mountains, quiet roads etc ?

bob_bob Oct 30th 2019 7:54 am

The Canary Islands will give the best overall weather in the winter months. Its not worth you buying just rent. One option is using a combination of cheap flights and Airbnb. Book a studio apartment for a month and cheap flights and away you go. Then pick more flights and a different destination for a month and so on. There is just no need as a 'snow bird' to be stuck in one place anymore plus doing this you don't have to worry about property security/maintenance etc....they ain't your problem.

Bridie55 Oct 30th 2019 9:47 am

Look at Almunecar lots of activities in a working Spanish town. Very nice weather with a good mix of expats from Europe. Rentals are available as many apartments are holiday homes for Spanish who only use them in summer so they rent them out for winter to Easter.

Moses2013 Oct 30th 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12756074)
I would suggest you look farther afield than Spain if you want warmth during the European winter. As those living in Spain know, whilst it may be warm during the day, the nights are not. What about New Zealand for example ? It’s the summer there when it’s winter in the UK. There’s no language problem, lovely unspoiled beaches and mountains, quiet roads etc ?

Well according to those living in NZ, it can also be cold during summer in NZ and just depends where you are and what you are used to. Some complain about the wind in Wellington, it can get cold during the night in summer too, then Dunedin is too wet and grey, Auckland too busy. You also have to consider that during the summer places like Tauranga are crowded, so forget quiet roads. Then it comes down to costs (flights, food, accommodation). Everyone feels different too and the Scottish person who swims during summer and only spends winter in Baix Empordà will never feel cold. I just returned from Selva comarca and was in shorts all the time. This is the main beach webcam not far from our place right now and while some are in jeans, others are swimming. Those full time in Alicante, might complain there's a light breeze
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...da801219e6.png

BEVS Nov 1st 2019 5:54 am

Originally Posted by dfjordan (Post 12756074)

True enough but there are the two long haul flights and the cost of living which is not cheap. It is also summer shutdown time so prices go up.

I think Julie's requirements are to keep it simple and keep it within reach.

If that were me I would be thinking the same.

Welcome Julie to the mad place that is British Expats.

This Spain lot are a really good bunch and will steer you straight and true.

julie.giloney Nov 2nd 2019 5:49 am

Thanks to all that have replied, lots of information so that's great I will have to go somewhere where it will be easy to get back home as I have elderly parents so although NZ would be lovely its a bit too far at the moment

EsuriJohn Nov 2nd 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by julie.giloney (Post 12757993)
Thanks to all that have replied, lots of information so that's great I will have to go somewhere where it will be easy to get back home as I have elderly parents so although NZ would be lovely its a bit too far at the moment

That was exactly the position we were in 12yrs ago and after much research around the Med chose Ayamonte in the south west corner of Spain right on the Portuguese border. One home two countries as one friend puts it. Faro airport is only 40mins away with year round flights to destinations all around U.K. and Ireland. When my wife’s mother was critically ill 5hrs door to door was our best ever timing but with practise we have nearly matched that from a number of GB airports. Weather pretty good 25.5* yesterday and an evening swim in our pool was 23*. Cost of living low, our nearest restaurant is in Portugal and does a very very good menu del dia for €10 including bread olives soup main sweet and coffee + a beer or 1/2 bottle of wine.

wilsman77 Nov 6th 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12758007)

That was exactly the position we were in 12yrs ago and after much research around the Med chose Ayamonte in the south west corner of Spain right on the Portuguese border. One home two countries as one friend puts it. Faro airport is only 40mins away with year round flights to destinations all around U.K. and Ireland. When my wife’s mother was critically ill 5hrs door to door was our best ever timing but with practise we have nearly matched that from a number of GB airports. Weather pretty good 25.5* yesterday and an evening swim in our pool was 23*. Cost of living low, our nearest restaurant is in Portugal and does a very very good menu del dia for €10 including bread olives soup main sweet and coffee + a beer or 1/2 bottle of wine.

sounds idillic.

frigilianafreddy Nov 11th 2019 5:51 pm

23c in the pool! I think you are mistaken - or rather your thermometer has gone walk about. Our pool in Frigiliana with pool blanket and a very small solar heater rarely gets above 20C late Oct early Nov. I dont get my feet wet at less than 24C. Thats May to September.

But if you have got 23C - go for it. Lucky you!