British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Eroski store closure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/eroski-store-closure-767933/)

jenna m Aug 11th 2012 8:39 am

Eroski store closure

Has the Eroski store at Alqueria closed and any news of another store opening in its place? Thanks for any info.

snikpoh Aug 11th 2012 10:25 am

Re: Eroski store closure

Originally Posted by jenna m (Post 10221450)
Has the Eroski store at Alqueria closed and any news of another store opening in its place? Thanks for any info.

Most Eroski stores have now closed it seems - has the group gone bust?

jenna m Aug 11th 2012 10:32 am

It's just the Alqueria one I want to know about - Mitzy? Did not know they were closing down other branches also?

Kenwoodlad Aug 11th 2012 10:58 am

Yes, the Alqueria one is now closed. Which has left us a bit short of shopping opportunities. There's still the Aldi and Lidl but they don't have the same range of fresh produce that Eroski had. Doesn't seem to be anyone queuing up to take over the premises.

Chiclanagir Aug 11th 2012 11:17 am

The one in Chiclana is open but wouldn´t surprise if it closed Mercadona are beating it hands down.

lynnxa Aug 11th 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jenna m (Post 10221565)
It's just the Alqueria one I want to know about - Mitzy? Did not know they were closing down other branches also?

if you put your postcode in here it will show you where the nearest to you is

http://www.eroski.es/es/establecimientos/

Kenwoodlad Aug 11th 2012 11:21 am

Alas, the Eroski website hasn't been updated so it still shows the store in Alqueria as open. So I wouldn't trust it to be up to date on other stores either.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 11th 2012 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10221610)
The one in Chiclana is open but wouldn´t surprise if it closed Mercadona are beating it hands down.

I was in the one at Cullera a couple of times.
Huge store, hardly any customers and no wonder looking at the crazy prices.
I never bought a single item and got the impression that they don't even try to compete with the other big chains.

Edit, for cullera read sueca just up the road,...... Its been a while.

lynnxa Aug 11th 2012 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad (Post 10221616)
Alas, the Eroski website hasn't been updated so it still shows the store in Alqueria as open. So I wouldn't trust it to be up to date on other stores either.

strange........ when I put Alquería into the search on the link I gave it comes up with nothing...............:confused:

jenna m Aug 11th 2012 12:01 pm

Ah well, Aldi and Lidl it will be from now on, when I come over. Thanks for the info everyone.

Kenwoodlad Aug 11th 2012 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 10221635)
strange........ when I put Alquería into the search on the link I gave it comes up with nothing...............:confused:

I put in the postcode (46715) and the Alqueria shop is second on the list of results. If you click on it, it still has all the opening hours and directions on how to get there.

Our biggest regret is the loss of the cafe that was attached to the store. The people who ran it were really nice and the food was great, all home made on the premises by the looks of it.

lynnxa Aug 11th 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad (Post 10221681)
I put in the postcode (46715) and the Alqueria shop is second on the list of results. If you click on it, it still has all the opening hours and directions on how to get there.

Our biggest regret is the loss of the cafe that was attached to the store. The people who ran it were really nice and the food was great, all home made on the premises by the looks of it.

ah - I didn't have the post code

typical spanish website really - inconsitent to the extent that it's almost worse than useless

caroline c Aug 11th 2012 12:35 pm

It was reported in the local press that the one in Chiclana is also closing down, I think it is going to be replaced with a Decathlon store. It´s not surprising though as the store has really gone down hill over the years.

Chiclanagir Aug 11th 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by caroline c (Post 10221700)
It was reported in the local press that the one in Chiclana is also closing down, I think it is going to be replaced with a Decathlon store. It´s not surprising though as the store has really gone down hill over the years.

When did you hear that? I think I remember a few years ago that there was going to be a Decathlon store in the grounds, haven´t heard that it is closing down.

jjh Aug 11th 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10221735)
When did you hear that? I think I remember a few years ago that there was going to be a Decathlon store in the grounds, haven´t heard that it is closing down.

The same here. I thought Decathalon was going to be where the new car park is now. OH went into Eroski today and they are now open from 9am until 10pm. I don´t know if that´s because of the crisis or because they are running the stock down.

If Caroline said she read it in the local press then I guess it´s true.

JJ xx