Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hi Lionda,now dont roll over laughing will you,I thought you could get four of them inglo beds for them for in your boot,then they can each get nice and comfey,yes /no told you so
That's a good idea, we have one for our cat and he absolutely loves it, and it's also an area of the house that is HIS, and the other cat will NOT go in,. has only put it's head in once(while other cat was elsewhere).
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That's a good idea, we have one for our cat and he absolutely loves it, and it's also an area of the house that is HIS, and the other cat will NOT go in,. has only put it's head in once(while other cat was elsewhere).
Well I thought it a good idea,its like them having their own little nest,so to speak,Iv been wondering today ,how are people with cats going to go on with letting them out for relief on the way,its easy with a dog you can just take it for a walk on the lead,I mean if you let cats out they are going to roam,I suspose the answer is to walk the cats on a lead,jeez something else to consider,or do people just have a cat tray in the boot trust me to think of this
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

We have just returned from the UK after Easter and used Brittany Ferries. The wait to get onboard at Plymouth took about 1.30mins but it seemed pet owners were allowed on first. We were stopped by Plymouth customs and asked the sort of questions you get when you fly - did you pack the car yourself, are you carrying any gas cannisters, guns, knives etc. They are not interested in booze/ciggie element but in terrorism - we had a long wait at customs so got chatting to the customs guy. He said they stop about 20% of vehicles.

When we arrived at Santander we were one of the first off the boat but it took us about an hour to get out of the port. All cars, lorries, caravans were stopped by passport control and mostly lorries/caravans stopped by customs. I have no idea how long it took vehicles to get off the boat but it must have been at least a couple of hours to get out of the port.

I have done the drive from Caen to NW Spain and it is a long drive. Will have to do this drive again in July - Brittany Ferries charged £700 for crossing two weeks ago with trailer - and now for July crossing without trailer the charge is £1,400. I know supply and demand but it p***es me off.

You would have to book into a hotel on route so where would the cats go?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandy44
Well I thought it a good idea,its like them having their own little nest,so to speak,Iv been wondering today ,how are people with cats going to go on with letting them out for relief on the way,its easy with a dog you can just take it for a walk on the lead,I mean if you let cats out they are going to roam,I suspose the answer is to walk the cats on a lead,jeez something else to consider,or do people just have a cat tray in the boot trust me to think of this
Walk them on a lead, the chap next to us is from Germany, and he brings his cat everytime he comes on holiday, he ALWAYS takes it for a walk on a long piece of string as a lead.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

brisca
We already have the cat carriers left around with no doors on, so they can investigate and “nest” to get used to them. We have two ten-year old neutered toms. One sleeps the day through with very little activity, the other gets out and about but still manages around 16 hrs sleep a day too! It’s strange that they can scale a six-foot fence in two jumps and yet be so inactive. As to whether they hate being in the car, I wouldn’t know, as the most they’ve done is a mile to the vets. Cats cannot be loose in a car - please don’t ask me how I know…

jandy44
how are people with cats going to go on with letting them out for relief on the way
That’s not a big problem. You can get a harness and lead. Cat collars are no use as they are elasticated to allow them to escape if caught up on something. The cats will not be impressed I’m sure, but relief is relief!

battlezone123
Some extremely useful ferry information posted – thanks! We have just about abandoned the Santander/Bilbao option due to the 29 and 19 hour journeys; that they then add on another 3 or so hours at the ports is a bit rich. Rather odd that the France/Spain road border points can be unattended, but for the ferry they check 100% of passports? Thanks for the ferry prices – that clinches it really for us. £1,400 is insane. I agree that the French trip is long. (we used to go Calais to the Med for camping holidays) I calculate 10hrs driving in France and 5hrs in Spain, so with two drivers that shouldn’t be too bad, and no need for a hotel which would be a problem with the cats. Not my favourite way to spend a day though…

We now need to fathom out how to minimise the disruption of the long journey. We don’t want our English cars in Spain. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to sell a RHD Vectra Estate in Spain, so it looks like hire a van and put up with having to drive all the way back with it. Anyone know if you can get one-way hires in France? Say, pick-up Caen, drop-off Toulouse?