Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:12 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Spain with All Household Effects

Originally Posted by toyboy23
Mmm… A bit of thread creep going on here.

As I said originally I’m concerned about significant delays while checks go on, especially as the cats may be sedated and we want to keep moving to minimise the journey time. I’m not talking about anaesthetised, just sedated.

I’m not sure whether the ‘why?’ question is based on vast experience of transporting cats, or conversely, no experience. I’d be interested to know Lionda, how you get on with four unsedated cats on the long journey.
Sorry Toyboy - didn't mean to hijack your thread I have asked our vet about sedating the cats but he advised against it. If we were flying the airlines (apparently) do not like it, also only BA accept pets. We considered travelling by ferry - only Brittania take animals so that would mean that although we live across the water from Portsmouth (Gosport) we would have to travel to Plymouth (Britannia do not sail to Spain from Portsmouth) So we have decided to drive down through the tunnel, France and Spain and at least that way we are with the cats the whole time. Can't say how the cats will take to the journey but I will definitely post my experience of the journey on here when we arrive in Spain.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lionda

I don't know whether this is worth considering, but we travelled by Brittany Ferry - Portsmouth to Caen (Normandy).
We could also have gone from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, but we chose the Caen route because it was the shortest crossing (about 5 hours-ish, I think?)
We didn't know how our dog was going to cope with the ferry travel, but she was so relaxed that she was fast asleep when we went to check on her!
(You have to arrange an agreed time to go below decks, once you're on board)

My geography isn't great so I'm not sure whether northern France is helpful, or not, for the part of Spain you're heading to??

Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's worth you considering?

How's all your packing and organising going??

Love and hugs,
Sam xx
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi Lionda

I don't know whether this is worth considering, but we travelled by Brittany Ferry - Portsmouth to Caen (Normandy).
We could also have gone from Portsmouth to Cherbourg, but we chose the Caen route because it was the shortest crossing (about 5 hours-ish, I think?)
We didn't know how our dog was going to cope with the ferry travel, but she was so relaxed that she was fast asleep when we went to check on her!
(You have to arrange an agreed time to go below decks, once you're on board)

My geography isn't great so I'm not sure whether northern France is helpful, or not, for the part of Spain you're heading to??

Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's worth you considering?

How's all your packing and organising going??

Love and hugs,
Sam xx

Hiya Sam

Thanks for the input - hubby is downstairs watching tv (I'm closing down the puter and going to bed - that was half an hour ago ) I will tell him this tomorrow and we will look at the map (bought a map of Europe yesterday ) Packing going really well - got loads of stuff in boxes and got rid of loads more
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen17
If you are packing boxes yourselves - suggest that as you pack them write an inventory and number the box correspondingly, if you do get stopped anywhere they are less likely to cause you agro if you produce something like that to show them. Good luck with the cats.
I can see the logic of thought, but thats really not necessary (although useful) as the EU should mean freedom of movement just as if you were driving to Scotland.

Spent many years in the freight industry running vehicles to Spain, Holland, Belgium, France and Germany and even with 12 mtr trailers we only issued a delivery note for the destination address, not necessarily a packing list. Only exception with with Haz cargo.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:33 pm
Popping in for a chat

Just a thought - can I take plants?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hi Lionda,now dont roll over laughing will you,I thought you could get four of them inglo beds for them for in your boot,then they can each get nice and comfey,yes /no told you so
At the risk of slipping out of thread, I'm still laughing tears are rolling down my cheeks and I choked on my hot milk.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:37 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lionda
Is this so the cats have got some earth to dig for you know what?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there toyboy!

We DID drive through France and Spain when we moved here 14 months ago.
We had a people carrier stacked to the rafters, with the two of us and the dog!

We had no problems travelling through Spain at all; but we were stopped by the French police at a toll booth just outside Poitiers.
They wanted to know where we were going, why, and whether we were carrying cigarettes or alcohol.
They wanted us to open the back of the car, but I think they were so taken aback by the ironing board, suitcases, microwave and everything else that was threatening to ruin their day, that they just accepted our (honest) explanation that we were on our way to start a new life in Spain

Goodness only knows what we would have done if they'd made us unpack it all!
(And it was raining!)

It might have helped that I managed to communicate reasonably well with them in French; and also because it was early morning, maybe they hadn't had too many people annoying them and putting them in a bad mood by then!

Just as an aside, whereabouts are you in Surrey?
I was born in Hersham

Very best wishes,
Sam.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lionda
Can't see any reason why not??

It wasn't an issue for me, because I so don't have green fingers!!
I'll have to get some lessons from Compost Mentis when I'm ready to start my vegetable patch

Night night, Lionda (don't go dreaming about boxes!) xx
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:52 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by brisca
Can't see any reason why not??

It wasn't an issue for me, because I so don't have green fingers!!
I'll have to get some lessons from Compost Mentis when I'm ready to start my vegetable patch

Night night, Lionda (don't go dreaming about boxes!) xx
Dreaming about boxes!! Last night I was dreaming we had arrived at our villa and found it fully furnished but when I asked why it was furnished I was told the furniture had to go back AND THAT UPSET ME! Does that mean I want to ditch our stuff and start afresh ( )
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

helen17
Thanks for the suggestion on numbered boxes, inventory, etc. We are way ahead of you on that! I’ve always been ultra methodical, and my wife has now caught the bug. Our removal men are going to be very scared of the psychotic attention to detail.

Lionda
Interesting information thank you. I wish vets would all work from the same manual! We’re moving to a new vet soon – will report back. Interesting that only Brittania take animals. Does that apply to accompanied/unaccompanied by owners? One thing that we find daunting about Portsmouth and Plymouth is the 29hrs and 19hrs crossing respectively.

brisca
Thanks Sam for the useful information. I will investigate routes via Caen and possibly St Malo too. Cherbourg looks disadvantaged on the French side. Glad to hear your dog coped so well. Talking to my wife about this earlier today, I mentioned that all this fuss was for the cats wellbeing, and then I concluded that as they spend the vast majority of their day asleep, maybe they wouldn’t even notice the journey. Useful to know you’re allowed below decks to check on them.

The French police are a pain with their tobacco/booze confiscation scam aren’t they? They were doing it in the 70s and 80s too. Must be a perk of the job passed down through generations! We are in Frimley, near Camberley. Been there nearly all my life. Hersham’s not what it used to be is it? Then again, neither is Frimley! Grand Designs tonight discussed the efficient usage of small plots and small houses etc. One girl demonstrated how she copes in her 11ft by 9ft flat! Yes – that is the whole flat! I suspect some prison inmates have more than that…

So it looks like going via France may be best. To get back to my original point, what is the Spanish border crossing like? If it’s anything like the France/Germany crossing points there’ll be nobody there.

And finally… If we’re talking dreams, the last two nights I’ve had dreams about fairground folk riding roughshod over my front garden in those huge tractor vehicles they have. Interpretations on a postcard please…
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you was doing it yourself ?
Now you mention our "removal men" they should be licenced and have all the required customs paperwork anyway.
So you should breeze through the border.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
I thought you was doing it yourself ?
Now you mention our "removal men" they should be licenced and have all the required customs paperwork anyway.
So you should breeze through the border.
No, that's unlikely, The plan was for one of us to travel with them (the removals men and the cats), as the entry for animals is easier if an owner accompanies. An alternative is to keep the main removals separate, and for us to travel with the cats which meets the same requirement.

What licence do removals men need, and why customs paperwork? Schengen should make that unnecessary, and also someone earlier mentioned driving lorries across EU borders with precious little paperwork. Equally, I'd have thought whether DIY or professional, the same customs paperwork would be needed? Sorry if this is getting to be a pain.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

[So it looks like going via France may be best. To get back to my original point, what is the Spanish border crossing like? If it’s anything like the France/Germany crossing points there’ll be nobody there.]

Yes, that was our experience at the Spanish border too!
No-one there!

Something that my O/H has just mentioned, is that petrol prices are a fair bit cheaper in Spain than in France
There was a petrol station just over the border into Spain, and it was chocca with cars and lorries filling up (obviously with people who'd just left France, and those just about to enter!)
Although the ferry companies tell you not to fill your car up, it is advisable to have a decent amount of petrol to get you that bit closer to Spain - where the petrol is cheaper
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

[We are in Frimley, near Camberley. Been there nearly all my life. Hersham’s not what it used to be is it? Then again, neither is Frimley!]

Hi toyboy

We left Hersham when I was 7 (quite a long time ago! ) and then I lived in the South West (Cornwall, Devon and Somerset) before moving here last year.

My beloved Grandparents were my last link to Hersham, but they moved to join us in Devon - so it's been many years since I was in Hersham for any length of time.
I've still got a few older and more distant relatives in Surrey, so I know names of towns, rather than really knowing the area.
However, I have wonderful memories of spending my very early childhood at Bushy Park, Hampton Court, Horse-shoe Clump, Wisley Gardens.......and Bentalls in Kingston!!

It's actually just nice to speak to someone who's even heard of Hersham! Usually when I mention the place, people say "Oh, do you mean Horsham!?"

Remind me, have you got definite plans about where you'd like to move to?

Please don't worry about your cats - they'll be absolutely fine (unless of course they hate being in the car!)
We have a German Shepherd (who thankfully loves being in the car) and the poor mite didn't exactly have a lot of room
However, she seemed to enjoy the adventure just as much as we did, and she was wonderful throughout.
I'm sure so long as the cats know you are there, they'll just enjoy the extra long doze!!

All the very best,
Sam.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.