Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English speaking jobs in Spain

English speaking jobs in Spain

Old Mar 12th 2021, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking jobs in Spain

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So a man or women in their 60s wants to continue working and support a family in a country where he or she has no language/work skills? Good luck with that one.

Seriously, this had to be a wind up post.
The thing is, its probably not.
You would be amazed at how little actual research people do before embarking on these life changing journeys. Some of them even get to the place they want to go and then decide to go home (while I have no issues with that bit) doing such a thing now would be very costly and downright silly.

With the power that the internet wields these days I am shocked at some of the comments that people post on things like Facebook. Do they not know (or I suppose care) what is happening out in the big wide world?
I know the answer to that and its Me Me Me and sod everyone else.

There is a popular page about Benidorm on Facebook and the number of silly questions like 'is so and so hotel open yet?' and 'just booked for the end of may 2021 do you think everything will be open?'. 'I will have my second jab in May and Im coming to Benidorm'' 'And the Uk says we can go on holiday on May 17th'.
My fav one was the 'I've booked for 2022 how much is pint of beer' and I do hope that was a tongue in cheek comment but I fear not.

The other day I got rattled and posted a comment along the lines of 'don't you people realise that the world has been shut for the last year and all you want to do is go on holiday?' I then added links to Spains state of alarm and the restrictions we are still facing, the vaccination progress . And you should have read the posts that followed. I might as well have proved the earth is flat

And don't get me started on the program about people wanting to move to Australia as most of them have never even been there on holiday. How can you dream of a new life somewhere you have never even been too.
Id like to move to the moon but Ive heard there aint much atmosphere but at least I have checked.

Anyway back to the OP.

No you cannot come here and your non Spanish speaking main wage earner will not get a job as a Bus driver, I doubt you and your family will even be able to fulfil the visa conditions.
And I doubt you would be Ok anywhere else in the EU either.

Harsh but I think in this case true.

Last edited by Barriej; Mar 12th 2021 at 5:31 am.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 5:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

So true. Good post. There are a lot of idiots out there, but that won’t change. At least they won’t be here. One of the very few benefits of Brexit!

You really couldn’t make it up. Non Spanish speaking Brit without a Spanish PSV licence wants a job as a bus driver.

Last edited by Fred James; Mar 12th 2021 at 5:51 am.
Old Mar 12th 2021, 3:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
To be honest I'm not that bothered, the quality of driving here puts me off having another bike and the wife never liked me having one anyway.
(used to ride from Luton to Wembley every morning, through the countryside, with a big grin all the time) getting too old these days and I like to look at places as Im driving not just watch a blur go by.
The majority of the population have never ridden a motorcycle. Some ride to work others ride for the enjoyment. I find Spanish are more considerate and welcoming to cyclists & motorcyclists >

Old Mar 12th 2021, 6:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

So a man or women in their 60s wants to continue working and support a family in a country where he or she has no language/work skills? Good luck with that one.

Whatever, the OP hasn't logged in since posting, and we can't know whether he's left the building or is bona fide but simply lurking and taking the realistic comments on board. If the latter, I think his prospects have been clearly set out.... The same applies to most EU countries and I would suggest considering the Republic of Ireland if the OP is desperate to leave the UK.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Whatever, the OP hasn't logged in since posting, and we can't know whether he's left the building or is bona fide but simply lurking and taking the realistic comments on board. If the latter, I think his prospects have been clearly set out.... The same applies to most EU countries and I would suggest considering the Republic of Ireland if the OP is desperate to leave the UK.
sometimes all you need is a holiday away from the UK to realise how privileged the UK actually is.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people have a pipe dream of moving to Spain and enjoying la Vida buena. Almost like a fantasy. But when you get out there and you realise spain is actually a lot poorer country with a lot less opportunities. Also people don’t seem as friendly to strangers. In the uk people will give way when driving in order to let you out of a junction but in Spain that never happens. The roads are like wacky races. Wages are poor. If your not careful walking the streets of Barcelona you will get robbed blind. And it’s only going to get worse post covid. My advice is stay where you are and keep driving in the uk where you will be paid a lot more. Just come to Spain for holidays.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Just come to Spain for holidays.
but not more than 90 days in any 180...

I really dont think that people realise whats going on .. now that the uk has left the european union, and all the "problems" that it causes in the long term. Immigration being one major point that will affect alot of people in the future, even tho the information is quite literally, at their finger tips.

All i can say is, there are english speaking jobs advertised on www.thinkspain.com - good luck, you need a job offer in order to get a visa.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfg69bug

I really dont think that people realise whats going on .. now that the uk has left the european union, and all the "problems" that it causes in the long term. Immigration being one major point that will affect alot of people in the future, even tho the information is quite literally, at their finger tips.

All i can say is, there are english speaking jobs advertised on www.thinkspain.com - good luck, you need a job offer in order to get a visa.
90 days in 180 is more than enough for the vast majority of British nationals.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

We should see what the Spanish government will do with overstayers at the end of this month. Be very interesting to see as there are so many undocumented expats out in Spain still that never managed to get their documents in order because of covid and because Spain is a notoriously slow country when it comes to bureaucracy.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We should see what the Spanish government will do with overstayers at the end of this month. Be very interesting to see as there are so many undocumented expats out in Spain still that never managed to get their documents in order because of covid and because Spain is a notoriously slow country when it comes to bureaucracy.
That's very rue, I knew quite a few in that situation when I lived there for 4 years, they were driving UK crs, no registration or MOT, did not have residencia or registered on the padron, went to the UK for Dr's appointments, used the EHIC for anything else.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Watch "policias en accion" on YouTube. See what happens to all the immigrants that they catch. I was watching an episode in Barcelona? or Madrid? and there was a bar where an argument had broke out. About 20 police went in, took every one of them and lined them and had each person give their ID. the ones without residency were arrested and taken to the station.

If that happens to the undocumented english people here in spain there will be uproar....
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:36 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they could really start doing anything until July which is the limit for applying for pre-Brexit residency. Anyone could argue they were a resident since last year and they've yet to get it sorted out.
Old Mar 13th 2021, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DLC
I don't think they could really start doing anything until July which is the limit for applying for pre-Brexit residency. Anyone could argue they were a resident since last year and they've yet to get it sorted out.

you can argue all you like - as is the case with the "residency denied" thread. It´s what you can prove that counts.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 12:15 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people have a pipe dream of moving to Spain and enjoying la Vida buena. Almost like a fantasy. But when you get out there and you realise spain is actually a lot poorer country with a lot less opportunities. Also people don’t seem as friendly to strangers. In the uk people will give way when driving in order to let you out of a junction but in Spain that never happens. The roads are like wacky races. Wages are poor. If your not careful walking the streets of Barcelona you will get robbed blind. And it’s only going to get worse post covid. My advice is stay where you are and keep driving in the uk where you will be paid a lot more. Just come to Spain for holidays.
I must disagree with you on a number of points....

I had a pipe dream to come to Spain and managed to do it, get a very well paid job and did not Speak a word of Spanish. In fact as I was a native English speaker it was an advantage in my job. 90% were Spanish and their English was terrible! I churned out flawless technical documents etc in perfect English and worked with colleagues from many nations. The official language was English, Spanish really had no place, except for at lunchtime when the natives would resort to kind and chatter in Spanish. But the point being I had a very marketable sills set, good banter at the various interviews I had and managed to secure a good job. Obviously, the point being I was not a bus driver and Spain is coming down with them and they all speak excellent Spanish, so some guy who just speaks English and is looking for a job in Spain as bus driver is basically ******* in the wind!

Furthermore, the Spanish are very friendly and I will not have one bad word said about them! As with any other nationality, you do get some better than others... They know how to hold their drink and not lose the plot, dwell on that...

As for driving, you can wind up dead in the UK due to road rage. Very unlikely to happen here...

And speaking about Barcelona and having to be carful at night there are many areas in the UK where you would not dare walk at night...

Last edited by agree_to_disagree; Mar 14th 2021 at 12:17 am.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Watch "policias en accion" on YouTube. See what happens to all the immigrants that they catch. I was watching an episode in Barcelona? or Madrid? and there was a bar where an argument had broke out. About 20 police went in, took every one of them and lined them and had each person give their ID. the ones without residency were arrested and taken to the station.

If that happens to the undocumented english people here in spain there will be uproar....
Spanish police have always done that . If you can’t prove who you are you are taken to the police station or your hotel or house to get your passport or any over document to prove who you are. Especially if a crime has been committed.

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 14th 2021 at 4:26 am. Reason: corrected quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.