Reload this Page >

English speaking doctor in Ayamonte

English speaking doctor in Ayamonte

Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Redflag will become famous soon enoughRedflag will become famous soon enough
Question English speaking doctor in Ayamonte

Hi

Anyone know of a english speaking doctor in Ayamonte?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking doctor in Ayamonte

Originally Posted by Redflag
Hi

Thanks in advance
Please note, that, certainly on the Costa Blanca, there are notices saying that you should NOT expect your doctor to speak English, and should take an interpreter. After all you are in Spain. There may well be private clinics that have English speaking doctors, but not necessarily in the Spanish NHS clinics. A good book to get is 'Tengo Dolor' which gives the correct Spanish for most of the symptoms you may have.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Please note, that, certainly on the Costa Blanca, there are notices saying that you should NOT expect your doctor to speak English, and should take an interpreter. After all you are in Spain. There may well be private clinics that have English speaking doctors, but not necessarily in the Spanish NHS clinics. A good book to get is 'Tengo Dolor' which gives the correct Spanish for most of the symptoms you may have.
I wonder what would happen if they did that in the UK ,world war 3 I reckon
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

I speak pretty good conversational Spanish, but when it comes to medical things I prefer to see a doctor who can speak English if possible, whether I be in Spain or Timbuktu.

As for the signs saying you should not expect your doctor to speak English, that is wrong, if you look at the Andalusia hospital statement, its on the walls of all the hospitals, it says you have a right to have anything that is diagnosed etc explained to you in your own language, if you are English, German, Dutch etc, it must be an EU thing.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you go into the local clinic they have a poster on the wall with a phone number on that you can call and they cover help in all languages.
Some also have interpreters on duty at certain hours.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I speak pretty good conversational Spanish, but when it comes to medical things I prefer to see a doctor who can speak English if possible, whether I be in Spain or Timbuktu.

As for the signs saying you should not expect your doctor to speak English, that is wrong, if you look at the Andalusia hospital statement, its on the walls of all the hospitals, it says you have a right to have anything that is diagnosed etc explained to you in your own language, if you are English, German, Dutch etc, it must be an EU thing.
They put it all on a form and you can get it translated.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It’s a double-edged sword with English speaking doctors and expats who can speak Spanish. In normal conversations, both are happy, but when it comes to medical terms, especially for serious conditions, a medical interpreter is needed. The English speaking doctor will insist on one and the Spanish speaking expat should. It’s far too important to get it absolutely right.

I was in a private hospital and was unexpectedly referred for an immediate, minor operation. There were four of us waiting when the anaesthetist made her final round.

She didn’t speak any English whatsoever, but I knew enough to understand that the woman next to me was having her leg off a few minutes later, and I was just able to translate what I was in for, it involved the very top of my own leg, and I insisted on a local anaesthetic as well as repeatedly using the word for my part to be operated on, insisting that it wasn’t the leg, but the bit above.

It was a close shave.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by HBG
It’s a double-edged sword with English speaking doctors and expats who can speak Spanish. In normal conversations, both are happy, but when it comes to medical terms, especially for serious conditions, a medical interpreter is needed. The English speaking doctor will insist on one and the Spanish speaking expat should. It’s far too important to get it absolutely right.

I was in a private hospital and was unexpectedly referred for an immediate, minor operation. There were four of us waiting when the anaesthetist made her final round.

She didn’t speak any English whatsoever, but I knew enough to understand that the woman next to me was having her leg off a few minutes later, and I was just able to translate what I was in for, it involved the very top of my own leg, and I insisted on a local anaesthetic as well as repeatedly using the word for my part to be operated on, insisting that it wasn’t the leg, but the bit above.

It was a close shave.
I had a Hernia operation under an epidural injection and the times I filled in forms, met the anaesthetist, had medical checks and wrist tags etc there was no way they would of made a mistake.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:56 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks in advance
No, there are not.

But there are plenty in over the border in Portugal.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I had a Hernia operation under an epidural injection and the times I filled in forms, met the anaesthetist, had medical checks and wrist tags etc there was no way they would of made a mistake.
I saw the doctor at 10.30am, he telephoned the operating staff at 10.45am, I was operated on at 11.30am. There were no forms anywhere, which is why I panicked when the anaesthetist appeared, because she didn’t have any forms either, and the surgeons waiting with their sharpened knives simply obeyed orders . . . and it’s not the first time that mistakes have been made.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:14 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I forgot to mention, when the anaesthetist appeared, she asked me why I was there (at the door to the operating theatre). In my panic, I couldn’t think of the Spanish word for bum, imagine that, but my memory failed me, and when I said it in English, it meant nothing to her. I did remember the Spanish rude word and she finally smiled and went in to inform the waiting surgeons why I was there, giggling to herself.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks jur, do you know where the nearest one is?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a well known private hospital on the CDS a couple of years ago for a scan and the doctor didn't speak at all.( Not hello , goodbye or kiss my 8rse in any language )

I had a repeat visit last year and I told him exactly what I thought of him, still silence.

I have another appointment for Monday the ninth and expect it will be the same doctor, and am I going to have fun.

Please note I am not paying the bills.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

I know of a private one in Ayamonte but none in the local health centre speak English.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

private is fine, please can you give me there details

thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.