Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

Originally Posted by spain
the local village pre school nurseries are goverment subsidised, so I have been told anyway, thats why they are so cheap

the price is correct but that was about 4-5 years ago - but even if the price has doubled........but that is a in a village

Im sure on the CDSol and places like that there will be private English nurseries charging more
the private ones are really pricey, though not compared to the UK - thankfully my 2 are too old for that

check this out - 350 euros for 4 weeks in Javea

http://www.rainbownursery.net/english/4.html
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone that runs a nursery school and the paperwork is bigger than the school building.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I know someone that runs a nursery school and the paperwork is bigger than the school building.
what do you expect this is Spain
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
had a feeling it might be
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that state nursery provision seems to be a lot better in Spain than it is in the UK, and very cheap. There is one of these guarderias across the street from my house which opens at 7.30 am and closes at 6.30 pm.

I would imagine that things like public liability insurance for someone looking to set up a childminding service in their own home would be pretty expensive, plus of course the autonomo monthly payments (equivalent of self-employed NI contributions but much more expensive and has to be paid no matter whether you are earning any money or not, I believe). Wages generally being much lower in Spain than in the UK, and jobs currently very hard to find for expats of working age, as is being mentioned in other threads on this forum, there might not be a huge market of working parents able to pay for private childcare. I have no idea what sort of licence or permit you would need to set up as a childminder in Spain, but everyone I know who runs a business of any kind here and tries to do it legally is driven more than half mad by the bureacracy
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, guys! I can now be 100% sure that this is not what anyone should be thinking of doing if moving to Spain! Private childcare would not be in demand...

Hopefully one day someone might search this forum and will find the info given, helpful.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the private ones are really pricey
I'm in Alicante and they are not dear. My kids started before their first birthday. You can find a really good private nursery for 250€ per month, 07:30 - 18:00, including lunch and merienda. State school starts at 3 years old and schooling is mandatory from 6. School hours are 09:00 - 17:00. Most people who work rely on relatives (grand parents) to fetch them.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Huevos
I'm in Alicante and they are not dear. My kids started before their first birthday. You can find a really good private nursery for 250€ per month, 07:30 - 18:00, including lunch and merienda. State school starts at 3 years old and schooling is mandatory from 6. School hours are 09:00 - 17:00. Most people who work rely on relatives (grand parents) to fetch them.
but that's really expensive compared to the spanish ones
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:51 am
Banned

Huevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the roughHuevos is a jewel in the rough

but that's really expensive compared to the spanish ones
Where did I say it wasn't Spanish. I said 'a really good private nursery'. I wouldn't consider taking my kids to anything but a Spanish one. And do you really consider 250 Euros per month (1.10 Euros per hour) including two meals expensive. Of course, I'm sure, there must be a cheaper option for those who don't mind their kids being locked in a windowless dungeon all day long with inadequately trained and under paid personal, with just bread to eat, but that's not what I wanted for my kids.

Last edited by Huevos; Sep 20th 2008 at 10:58 am.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Where did I say it wasn't Spanish. I said 'a really good private nursery'. I wouldn't consider taking my kids to anything but a Spanish one. And do you really consider 250 Euros per month (1.10 Euros per hour) including two meals expensive. Of course, I'm sure, there must be a cheaper option for those who don't mind their kids being locked in a windowless dungeon all day long with inadequately trained and under paid personal, with just bread to eat, but that's not what I wanted for my kids.
come to think of I was surprised at the thought of you sending your kids to an english nursery - from what I 'know' of you - but we were talking about english nurseries & childminders

it's 'good value' - but still more than some of the government subsidised ones around here - which aren't dungeons at all
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:15 pm
Banned

more than some of the government subsidised ones around here - which aren't dungeons at all
Not many of those. In Alicante city there are just 2 to serve 320,000 residents. Entry is by assessment and the ones that get accepted are extremely poor and with many children. That's for under 3's. From 3 to 5 there is infantil. This year there is a big shortfall with several thousand children, in Alicante city alone, not getting placed. Of the ones that did get placed there is a huge shortfall of school lunch places which, last time I heard, was purported to be affecting around 40% of infantil students.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Not many of those. In Alicante city there are just 2 to serve 320,000 residents. Entry is by assessment and the ones that get accepted are extremely poor and with many children. That's for under 3's. From 3 to 5 there is infantil. This year there is a big shortfall with several thousand children, in Alicante city alone, not getting placed. Of the ones that did get placed there is a huge shortfall of school lunch places which, last time I heard, was purported to be affecting around 40% of infantil students.
what a terrible situation!

they built a new infantil/primary school here 3 years ago - it's not full yet - but there is already talk of another one being built