Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough
Default are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

Hi I posted a new thread yesterday about a single mum(talking about myself here) wanting to move to Spain from London in the next 18+ months. What I learned is that its kind of difficult to get a job over there.

I am wondering if there is a chance for me to work as a childminder in Spain at all? I have my own daughter who is now almost 3 years old. We had a real problem getting her into the nursery in London. Nothing to do with the nursery or the affordability. She just hated every second she was at the nursery. She wasn't only crying,she was screaming, shaking and then a week later she started stuttering... She couldn't say simple words without getting stuck. After 2 months of that nightmare I gave up. Now I found a nice lady who luckly lives just around the corner from us and is a registered childminder. She can care for up to 6 kids I think but only has 2, my girl and her own daughter. It is such a different story! My child loves M (funnily enough she is Spanish but was brought to UK at the age of 7). She doesn't cry anymore and seem so happy! M has an ordinary house with a big play room on the ground floor of her own house.

So my question is: is there any demand for this sort of services in Spain? Maybe not full-time, but part-time?

PS I will learn as much spanish as I can before I make a move. Plus if there is a real chance for me to get a job looking after kids I will start doing all necessary paperwork to get qualified, registered etc
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are the english-speaking childminders in demand?

Are you a registered trained childminder?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Are you a registered trained childminder?
No, but I was thinking of opening a nursery in UK at some point. I need to get qualifications, get registered. I was looking to apply for a business loan, but it would involve much more research than I have already done and the person who I was hoping to go into parnership with is getting married soon, so no chance for him to be involved in all that. However, if my plans with moving to Spain do not materialise, I will probably start working on this idea more closely.

I love kids and this kind of work would benefit me in many ways(having in mind care for my own kid as one of the aspects).

I am not moving to Spain tomorrow so if there will be any need for a childminder, I can probably get it organised.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Where we live the state nursery school is really good, and also really cheap so i wouldnt use a childminder unless i worked awkward hours.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cajam31
Where we live the state nursery school is really good, and also really cheap so i wouldnt use a childminder unless i worked awkward hours.
When kids get dropped off after school, which is about 4pm I heard, who looks after them until the parents come back from work?

What time does the working day end in Spain usually? I heard that its different everywhere, which is really confusing.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

In the town where I live the families look after the children after school and in school holidays. In Spain caring for the children is very much a family affair so child minders are not usually used. I think that if you do a search on the forum for information about, child minders, nursery nurses etc it has been talked about before.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
In the town where I live the families look after the children after school and in school holidays. In Spain caring for the children is very much a family affair so child minders are not usually used. I think that if you do a search on the forum for information about, child minders, nursery nurses etc it has been talked about before.

Rosemary

Thank you. I didn't know I could search this site.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
but most english families don't have that family network, so the possibility is there for a good childminding service

the places around here that run 'holiday' clubs & an after school servive charge the earth

I don't know about legalities though
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but most english families don't have that family network, so the possibility is there for a good childminding service

the places around here that run 'holiday' clubs & an after school servive charge the earth

How much would a family pay normally for an after school service? Per hour/per week/per month?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:48 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

There are probably not that many English families living in Valencia city though.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singlemum
Hi I posted a new thread yesterday about a single mum(talking about myself here) wanting to move to Spain from London in the next 18+ months. What I learned is that its kind of difficult to get a job over there.

I am wondering if there is a chance for me to work as a childminder in Spain at all? I have my own daughter who is now almost 3 years old. We had a real problem getting her into the nursery in London. Nothing to do with the nursery or the affordability. She just hated every second she was at the nursery. She wasn't only crying,she was screaming, shaking and then a week later she started stuttering... She couldn't say simple words without getting stuck. After 2 months of that nightmare I gave up. Now I found a nice lady who luckly lives just around the corner from us and is a registered childminder. She can care for up to 6 kids I think but only has 2, my girl and her own daughter. It is such a different story! My child loves M (funnily enough she is Spanish but was brought to UK at the age of 7). She doesn't cry anymore and seem so happy! M has an ordinary house with a big play room on the ground floor of her own house.

So my question is: is there any demand for this sort of services in Spain? Maybe not full-time, but part-time?

PS I will learn as much spanish as I can before I make a move. Plus if there is a real chance for me to get a job looking after kids I will start doing all necessary paperwork to get qualified, registered etc
If you go to a very Brit populated area you may have a chance

but the local pre-school nurseries are so cheap, I think our one was around 70€ per month, takes babies to age 3 children (thats when they can start school) and are open 7am-7pm
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spain
If you go to a very Brit populated area you may have a chance

but the local pre-school nurseries are so cheap, I think our one was around 70€ per month, takes babies to age 3 children (thats when they can start school) and are open 7am-7pm
I cannot believe that. In UK I pay almost GBP 800 per month for a childcare, be it a nursery or a childminder...

I AM SHOCKED! if this is correct information, I am going to start being very annoyed as to why we pay so much in UK!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:51 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I cannot believe that. In UK I pay almost GBP 800 per month for a childcare, be it a nursery or a childminder...

I AM SHOCKED! if this is correct information, I am going to start being very annoyed as to why we pay so much in UK!!!!
If you can afford 800 pounds a month in the uk for childcare do not move to spain.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

the local village pre school nurseries are goverment subsidised, so I have been told anyway, thats why they are so cheap

the price is correct but that was about 4-5 years ago - but even if the price has doubled........but that is a in a village

Im sure on the CDSol and places like that there will be private English nurseries charging more
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CBANDY
If you can afford 800 pounds a month in the uk for childcare do not move to spain.
A few years ago the government introduced a scheme called Child(and/or working) Tax credits. Tax Credits benefit families on low incomes or single parents. I fall into a second category... I wish I had a partner though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.